*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1763758-Biting-The-Dust
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Detective · #1763758
A short story, with murder, mystery, and a twist.
The body was found around 3am. Dumped down an alleyway, Detective Inspector Adrian Dolman thought it was just another cliche murder. There was a body, an alleyway, blood, and a ridiculous time of day. The officer lifted the tape for him after he flashed his badge, and he made his way to where the forensics team was working. Adrian was tall, slim, dark haired, and at this moment, rather hungry. He wore a suit that needed changing, and a long trench coat, open despite the light rain that was falling.

"What we got?" he tiredly asked the nearest forensics officer.

"Well....uh..we're not completely sure," was the rather tired and confused reply, "I mean, it looks normal, but then..well, take a look for yourself."

Adrian followed, curiousity taking over from tiredness. As he approached the body, the first thing that hit him was the smell. it was more than rotting flesh. It had other smells, some Adrian really didn't want to identify. Screwing up his nose, he put a hankerchief over his face.

"Stinks like shit, huh?" another forensics officer said, noticing Adrian, "We're not entirely sure what it is, but whatever it is, it ain't natural. And nor is this"

He lifted the sheet that covered the body, and what he saw would haunt his mind forever. The torso had been ripped open, ribs pulled apart and lungs removed. The heart was also missing, and the rest of the organs seemed to be spilling out of the cavity. But that wasn't what was creating the smell. But rather the pulsing mass of yellow orbs that filled the hole.

"What..what are they?" Adrian asked, looking for a paper bag.

"We're not entirely certain," the first forensic officer replied, "But they appear to be eggs of some kind."

"Fuck." was the only reply Adrian could manage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adrian's phone rang around 8am the next day. He picked up, half opening his eyes.

"Hello?" he said sleepily.

"Adrian, it's your boss," came the female voice "We need you now.There's been..a development."

The phone clicked off, and Adrian rolled out of bed with a sigh; it was going to be another long day.

When he got to the office, he rushed to the mortuary, and stopped when he saw what waited inside. The body from the night before was laid out, but the orbs all seemed to have popped open, yellow ooze leaking out. All over the room, small creatures paced around, some climbed up cupboards, others jumping around. They were around three inches tall, a dark yellow in colouration, with large mouths, full of teeth, and a pair of legs.....and not much else. The smell had faded, but still lingered.

"Oh, eww," exclaimed Adrian, "What the fuck are those things?"


But there was no answer. He turned, hearing a chewing, sucking sound, and saw a sight which made him throw up instantly. There was the coroner, his throat missing, a creature eating the guts that spilled out on the floor. He turned, running from the morgue, to see the same scene everywhere: creatures feeding on everyone, some people he noticed still breathing. He ran, but then felt something grab his ankle. He tripped and fell, turning in panic, to see a hand holding his ankle.

"Help...meee"

That was all the person said, before a creature jumped on his back, and began feasting on his lungs. He let go, as he screamed, and Adrian jumped up, running towards the exit. Just then, he heard someone shouting. He stopped, and turned. There was Julia, holding a cricket bat, in the doorway to the basement.

"Come with me," she said, "Hurry!"

He ran back towards her, and flew down the stairs. he heard her slam the door behind them, and then her footsteps rushing down. When he got to the bottom, he saw maybe five others, all holding some sort of weapon. Julia strode past him, and took a seat.

"What...what are those things?" Adrian stammered, catching his breath.

"We don't know," one of the others said, "All we do know...is that they have human DNA. They are...us. Human. And.."

He turned on a television, flicking through news channels. The stories were all the same, these creatures were worldwide, eating people. There were images of police forces and armies fighting them off, but they were quickly over-whelmed by sheer numbers.

"It's the end of the world" Adrian said, his eyes fixated on the screen. As they all watched, no-one noticed the small group of creatures that had squeezed themselves under the door, and made their way down the stairs, mouths drooling, looking for food.
© Copyright 2011 Antonio Van (antoniov22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1763758-Biting-The-Dust