*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1764393-How-Man-Came-to-Rule-the-Animals
Rated: E · Short Story · Folklore · #1764393
This is a look at how man might have come to lord over the Earth and all of it's beings.
         Long ago, when there were very few people, the animals ruled over the land. Eagle was their leader, and a very vain leader indeed. Eagle would call for water to be brought to him so he could gaze at his reflection for days. He would demand that Cat groom his tail feathers for hours on end while Dog hand fed him delicacies. On top of it all, Eagle was tyrannical and moody when he did not get his way.

         After serving many years in Eagle’s court, Dog had finally had enough of Eagle’s vanity. He grew tired of constantly fetching the water bowl for Eagle to admire himself in.

         One day, after ensuring that Eagle was satisfied with his reflection, Dog snuck off to see the wise Coyote.

         Dog arrived at Coyote’s house by dusk. He knocked softly on the door. “Enter,” called Coyote’s voice from inside. Dog stepped cautiously in, peering around the door.

         Dog opened his mouth to speak, but was quickly interrupted by Coyote. “Let me guess. You have grown tired of Eagle’s vanity and want to see to it that it is put to an end, correct?”

         Dog’s mouth dropped in surprise. “Yes, but how did you know?”

         “I have my means,” Coyote began, getting comfortable. “Now I've been thinking, if you want to get rid of Eagle and his vanity, than you need to find something that he can’t do. His conceitedness will get in the way, then you seize his crown for yourself.”

         Dog nodded happily. “I like your plan. But, what can I do that Eagle cannot?”

         “That, my friend, is for you to figure out,” Coyote said, sitting back. “And! It’s only fair that I get rewarded, since it was I who gave you such a wonderful idea.”

         Dog nodded, “But of course. It is only fair that you get a high seat in my court.” Dog thanked Coyote and left to find something that Eagle could not succeed at.

         After searching for many days, Dog decided to go back to Eagle’s court. He hung his head, defeated, and almost did not see Man, rubbing two sticks together. “What are you doing?” questioned Dog, intrigued. Man, as all the animals knew, was by far the strangest of all the creatures, and most everyone avoided him because of this.

         “I’m making a small sun,” Man replied. “I call it Fire.” And, as he said this, the sticks erupted in a small, flowing curtain of orange heat.

         Dog gasped in awe. “How did you do that?” As he moved forward to feel the warmth radiating off the sticks.

         “It just came to me,” Man answered. It was then that Dog realized that this is what he had been looking for.

         Dog smiled happily at Man. “You must come with me to see Eagle. He will be pleased with this. He may even give you a reward for your invention!”

         Man agreed eagerly, having always envied Eagle for his flight. Man turned to Dog, hopeful, “Do you think that Eagle would give me his power of flight?”

         Dog nodded absently, not even hearing the words coming from Man’s mouth. “Absolutely, anything for such a wonderful creation.”

         Dog and Man reached Eagle’s court just as he was beginning to grow bored with his reflection. Eagle looked puzzled at the sight of Man, “What is Man doing in my court?’

         Dog stepped forward humbly and retorted, “Man has come here to challenge your honor!” Man opened his mouth to protest, but Dog interrupted him. “He has made a small sun, or what he calls Fire, out of two sticks. He has come to challenge you to do the same. You must create this Fire by sunset or Man wins. If he wins, he will choose who will take the throne, however, if you succeed in creating this Fire, you can choose to have him banished.”

         “It is decided. Dog! Fetch me the finest sticks, quickly!” Eagle called, flying off to begin the challenge.

         Eagle had only been working for an hour when his sticks began to spark. Dog grew worried, thinking that if Eagle succeeded, it would make him even more vain than before. He rushed to get a bowl of water. “Great Eagle, you have been working long and hard, how about a drink?” he said smoothly, sliding the water bowl closer to Eagle.

         “I don’t see why not. I am very close, I can take a break,” Eagle replied, looking into the bowl. He became transfixed with his image, and could not bring himself to look away. Dog smiled cunningly while leaving to await the victorious sunset.

*~*~*~*


         Dog returned as the last rays of light vanished beyond the horizon. “Great Eagle, you have failed to create Fire. You have lost.”

         Man walked up, his head bowed ashamed of being used. Dog trotted up to Man happily, “You have won. Who do you chose to be the new leader of the animals? Perhaps the one who discovered your great talent?” Dog pressured, hoping Man was dim enough to agree.

         Man turned to Eagle. “I did not come here to take your crown. I came here to ask for some of your flight but Dog twisted my words.”

         Eagle glared at Dog, “I consented to the duel, so I must honor it. I will not give you my flight, for you allowed this charade to continue. You have my crown, and that is all.” And with that, Eagle flew off.

         Man glared down at Dog. “You said I would get flight, and all I have is the pick of our leader.” Then, a thought occurred to Man. “I will be Leader, no, King, of the animals! And I have some new laws, thanks to you, Dog. All animals will no longer speak the same language. I will have no up-risings as that of Dog’s. My first act as King is to make you, Dog, my servant forever as punishment for the disgrace I have suffered!”

         And with that, Man became the new tyrant of the Earth, making the animals who had betrayed his trust toil to his advantage. To this day, Dog is Man’s servant and Man still envies Eagle’s flight.
© Copyright 2011 Salem O'Rourke (hazelxiii at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1764393-How-Man-Came-to-Rule-the-Animals