*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1765283-Book-Untitled-Chapter-1-Prologue
Rated: E · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1765283
The prologue to a novel im writing about aliens visiting with 5 teenage boys.
Prologue





         Eastern Washington, not the most interesting place in the world, but was the perfect place to camp so that the Martin, Weston, Hobbs and Scott family could spend quality time together. The camping site brought out the creative sides of the four fourteen year olds. The acres upon acres of wood, clear blue skies and streaming brooks became less appealing to the boys after coming here, to camp, year after year for their whole life. It lacked electricity and cell phone service excluding all use of cell phones, iPods or anything else that stimulated there innocent teenage minds. The upside to the trip was that they had the whole weekend to hang out, relax, and eat their hearts out and anything else they pleased, that and the stars.

         The stars were simply amazing. They beautifully lit up the night sky like a disco ball. Tom was certainly the fondest of the stars. The other boys found it rather queer that the night sky was one of Thomas’s most noble interests. The mid-height skinny kid, with short brown buzzed hair with matching dark eyes, could sit upon his porch or look out his window for hours on end. He was constantly pondered, why. Why was he staring off into space? His response, more often than not had to do with his incredible curiosity and belief in the existence of extraterrestrials. He was convinced that this universe was so massive that this minuscule planet earth, that he lived on, was just too small for him to be contained to. He wanted to go farther. He had this astonishing desire to go into the deep space and meet and alien. Hoping that it might either set his remarkable belief to rest or prove his inconceivable doubters wrong. His life dream was to become an astronaut. He wanted to be the first man on another planet.

         Thomas Martin and Jake Scott have been best friends since they were little because their fathers attended the University of Washington together and remained good friends with one and other when they moved a block apart in Willowston, Washington, a suburb just outside of Seattle. Jake was a unique individual, he could practically get along with anyone. That was probably the reason his 3 best friends and him were so close. Tom, Max, Sam and Jake, their similarities in hobbies and interests and differences in attitude and belief complimented each other adequately. Here we join their four adolescent and curious minds at work but lacking the realization that the debate they were about to partake could affect their lives as much as it did.

         The fiery crimson flames rose as Tom proceeded to through more firewood and kindling into the crackling pit. The vivid sight of the escalating blaze blended nice with the almost silent hum of shuffling Sam was making in his sleeping bag. At last, peace was brought to the campsite and the boys weren’t the least bit exhausted. Thomas’s eyes, as usual, were fixed on the night sky, and the boys were having one of their usual debates on aliens.

         “Thinking aliens existed on other planets would possibly suggest that the bible is a lie. I was brought up to believe that god created all living things on this planet and this planet only.”

         Sam was a church boy, never missed Sunday worship. Loss of a grand-father, pneumonia and a fever over 104 degrees tried to stop him, but none were successful. Obviously I’m embellishing but he was a very religious 14 year old none the less. He was sporting the same height as his companions, but the blonde wavy hair made him the odd one out. 

         Jake, who was coming out of the tent and started to walk towards the fire, was not, surprised that this was what his friends were talking about, “Jesus, not again, give it a rest bud!” It was funny because Tom was actually one of the easiest going guys in the group. He didn’t take anything too seriously until discussion of aliens came up. Then things meant business. He had clearly had done in depth research on the subject. “Sam, I don’t know if your misinterpretation of what the Christian religion is trying to tell you, and all the other millions of people all around the world who read the holy book in a sense way to literal than it was intended to be read in, is blinding you from realizing that a public announcement from the Vatican claiming that there Holy Bible doesn’t specifically state that aliens don’t exist on other planets is a pretty damn good reason to accept the fact that they do.”  Tom always tried to talk really smart in arguments, as he was an extremely competitive person in other things besides basketball and football.

         “I think it might be a first but, I’m gonna have to agree with Tom on this one. Kid knows his shit.” Max was a lot more mature than everyone else. His parents pushed him to overachieve in school at a young age. All elementary school and well into middle school, Max would have to maintain a 4.0 GPA, take advanced classes, after school band and such or he would have been beaten. He and his mom had been physically abused by his father as long as he can remember. Then one day his mother hit him back, and he left. He has never seen his dad since. But his grades haven’t dropped; he and his mom live a happy life. He was significantly more intelligence than his three friends though. He was also a little bit thicker, not much though and had black hair and black eyes in which he clearly got from his Asian heritage from his dad’s side.

         "I don’t know if green things came down in flying saucers and were unknowingly scooped up by the government and taken to area 51 in secrecy or not but there are clearly many intelligent civilizations on planets apart from ours that exist.” This heated discussion was eventually put to rest when the four boys put the fire out and crawled back into their tent and called it a day. As they slowly let their youthful minds drift to sleep there destinies were being made as they knew it.

© Copyright 2011 Keenan Scott (keenan.scott20 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1765283-Book-Untitled-Chapter-1-Prologue