*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1765455-A-Moment-In-Time
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1765455
A brief love story.
A Moment In Time



"Spring sweet rhythm dance in my head
Slip into my lovers hands
Kiss me wont you kiss me now"

Dave Matthews Band

"Lover Lay Down"




    I waited nervously at the waters edge for Mel to arrive and resisted the urge to check for the ring in my pocket for the hundredth time. It isn't every day a man planned to propose marriage to his girl. I rehearsed in my head what I'd say and the moment I would drop to one knee in the sand. I'd do as the sun began to set amongst the oceans noises and the smell of the seas. She loved the beach and I had grown to love it as well and take to it with ease, even though I had lived most of my life far from the oceans edge.

    I made my way back to the blankets I had spread on the beach and the basket that held our dinner. I checked to make sure the wine was still properly chilled and ran a hand through my hair again. My thoughts drifted back to our first kiss, the first time I knew she was made for me, and the first laughs we had shared together. I smiled and let my eyes drift across the oceans horizon. Love was a funny, mysterious and warm feeling. I checked for the ring again and made myself comfortable on the blanket.

    It was tempting to start nibbling at the food, but for once I'd resist digging in first. I first wanted to have everything set, a nice dinner, the way these things usually happened in the movies or the romance novels of my mothers I had secretly read as a kid when I had nothing else to read. I rubbed my hands together curious why they felt so damp. Surely I wasn't that nervous.

    It would go well, I told myself. My brothers had approved of the plan. Well first they had snickeed before agreeing, but the plan was solid. Dinner, a nice walk upon the beach, my prepared speech, then I'd propose. My only regret was I wouldn't have any music playing like in the movies. Movement caught my eye and I looked up to see Mel coming my way down the beach.

    I stood up and took a nervous gulp. The light played over her hair beautifully taking my breath away for a moment. She held her sandles in one hand and waved to me with a grin. Her green eyes sparkled even from this distant filling me with warmth and love for her. I began to walk towards her wanting to reach her and put my arms around her. We reached each other and my arms wrapped around her sweeping her off her feet. She laughed with delight and our lips met in a slow hungry kiss. I set her down only to catch my breath and grinned at her.

    "Now that's a welcome kiss!" she said with a wide smile.

    "I missed you," I said simply. "I can't resist touching you and kissing your lips each time I see you. You're highly addicting!"

    "Oh, stop it!" she said with a laugh and playfully ran her fingers across my arms. "Okay, you can continue down that thought," she said after a mischievous pause.

    I laughed. I always had fun with her. She was just that type of person. Filled you with joy for life. It was one of the reason I loved her more and more. She could bring joy anywhere she went. I found myself suddenly dropping to one knee and grabbing her hand. I looked at her and just drank in her beauty. Time seemed to stand still. This moment in time felt perfect.

    "Why are you down on one knee, silly," Mel asked me.

    "Will you marry me, Melissa Amril Dakinya?" I asked quietly. With the other hand I reached into my pocket and with the ring holder and flipped it open to present the diamond ring. She gasped and stared at me. I swallowed hard. "Will you make me the happiest guy in the world and be my wife? The time I've spent with you have been the happiest of my life. You fill me with joy, with warmth, with a love that takes words away from me. I can't imagine a life without you standing strong by my side. You're all I think about. The very center of my being. My everything. Will you have me as your other half for all time?"

    I held her hand gently looking into her eyes. I could see them filled with tears and realized my own eyes had gone blurry. Her hand trembled within mine and she smiled a smile that I would always remember. It out shined the sun itself and she melted into my arms.

    "Of course I will," she whispered to me as our lips found each other.

    I kissed her with a hunger and lifted her off her feet. Tears rolled down both our faces as we shared this moment of love, passion and belief. As I slipped the ring upon her hand the sun began its slow descent and we shared the moment in loving silence content that we would always share our moments together.
© Copyright 2011 A.R. Freeman (icanziiravor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1765455-A-Moment-In-Time