*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1765878-La-Leila---Part-Two
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by elly
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #1765878
Leila and Roberto's love story
Part Two

“Ladies come on,” Lei urged, moving among the models checking to make sure that each of the designs they wore were draped on right.

“Signorina,” Some one called but Lei didn’t answer, her mouth was full of pins and she was busy fixing a small frill on one of the model’s waist.  Once done she looked up to see who’d called.

“You have a visitor,” one of the seamstresses said.

“I don’t want visitors,” she stated turning back to the line of models. “Andiamo, let’s get this show going.  Don’t miss a step, don’t loose confidence. I want beauty.”

The girls hurried away for the runway and Lei rushed to her center piece.  A summer dress she’d designed using a white lily motif.  The sleeves were tight at the elbow and flared out after that.  The neckline was cut low in a v-shape, the bodice hugging the chest.  The skirts were flowing and cut in the tapered shapes of a lily.  The materials folding over each other, into a vibrant and full body, she’d spent hours on the intricate silverfish embroidery on the folds of material.  As the model turned around so that she could make sure it fit right, she felt a sense of pride on her work.

“How does it fell?” She asked her model.

“It fits comfortably,” she replied and then taking a chance she added, “This is such a beautiful dress, Signorina Lei.”

“I’m glad you love it,” Lei said. “Now you’re next, finish the show.”

The model nodded and hurried off toward the stage.  It was finally over for her, Lei thought with a sigh.  She could now relax, and wait for the critics and also watch others go through the same thing.  This moment was always her favorite and most busy part of fashion week.

“Signorina, your visitor he’s come in anyway,” a young man said to her in a panic. “I’m really sorry, I tried everything.”

Lei sighed in exasperation and turned to yell at the intruder only to find Roberto standing there holding a bunch of lilies.  She never got a chance to greet him, the models came back and then she was being led to the stage for the final round on the runway.  A bit dazed and surprised, she moved through it like a zombie.  She bowed in thanks to the applause and smiled when she received a bouquet of flowers from the girls.  They left the runway soon after.

He was still waiting in the back and he took her hand and led her toward a quiet corner.

“I had to come and see how you are,” he said.

“I’m fine,” Lei replied staring at the flowers she was holding.  He had put the lilies in her arms too. 

“Was it wrong of me to come?” Roberto asked lifting her chin up with a finger. He looked into her eyes.  He saw too much, was her first thought, the second was that his green eyes were just too amazing.

“I can’t imagine how you found me,” Lei said instead, actually curious as to how the man was standing in front of her.

“Fashion week, my dear, it’s not exactly a secret,” Roberto mused.  “Come out for lunch with me.”

“I can’t, I’m busy here. There is all these to deal with,” she pointed with her chin to the frenzy behind them.

“Dinner then,” Roberto pushed. “You have to eat sometime.”

“Signorina,” Someone called.

“I have to go,” Lei said gazing up at him, his green eyes got to her every time. It was uncanny how seemed to look straight into her mind. 

“I’ll be back, four o’clock, you’re mine,” Roberto said with a smile, leaning down, he brushed her cheek with his lips.  It felt like a small jolt of electricity through her body. She stood staring after him.  One of her assistants named Christina came rushing to her and took the flowers from her.

“Who’s the hunk?” she asked.

“Roberto Dicarlo,” Lei said absentmindedly.

“Where did you meet him? He is too hot,” Christina said in excitement. “If you don’t want him, give him to me.”

“On the flight in and he’s not mine to give,” Lei stated turning around and heading for the furious activity.  She would deal with her business, it was what made sense. Not that stuff Roberto did to her and her body.  She would not let it disturb her life.

“Honey, that’s what you think.  Did you notice, he brought you white lilies, like he knows your flower,” Christina said behind her.  She wore a wide smile when Lei turned to give her a frown. 

Pushing thoughts of Roberto away, Leila lost herself in the details of the fashion business.  Dealing with reporters, critics and customers at the same time, she was thankful for her business manager and the ease he led her through it all.  It was tough, but she reveled in it.  By the end of the day, La Leila fashions would once again have a successful spring line collection, and there were orders and business deals to handle when the week was over.

Angelo came to get her at about three forty-five finding her seated in a chair trying to rest her feet on a stool.  Christina was packing her bag for her.

“You’re early, that’s good,” Lei said in Italian, happy that she was going to escape dealing with Roberto. She had barely been able to escape thinking about him all day. “It’s been so busy.”

“She just wants to escape some hunk,” Christina offered.  “I can’t understand why when she barely goes out on dates.”

“I’m a mother Christina,” Lei protested.

“Ha, you’re also a woman. Take some chances, he might be Mr. Right.”

Lei chuckled wondering what Christina knew about taking chances, she’d once taken one and got burned to a crisp.  The only good thing she’d gotten from her chance taking was Sonya.  So, she’d decided to concentrate on that and nothing else to do with men and Mr. Right finding.

“Mr. Right can be your goal, Christy,” Lei said on a sigh.

Putting her feet down, she pulled on her sandals and got up.  Angelo shook his head at her philosophy and picked up the bag Christina had packed.  He wished she could be happy with someone.  At the moment she was simply surviving.

“Let’s go Angelo. I think I’ll have a nice shower and we can see about dinner,” Lei said tiredly. Pulling on a black sweater, she headed for the exit.

They found Roberto leaning on a silver gray Aston Martin that was parked beside the Mercedes Angelo had rented out for the week.  He was dressed casually in a blue t-shirt and fitting jeans with boots, he looked like sin and definitely the last thing Lei wanted to see.

“I thought you might try to escape,” Roberto commented. “Hello Angelo.”

“Signore Dicarlo,” Angelo said in greeting.

“I’m a very busy woman Signore Dicarlo,” Lei said then, hoping to get away from him.

“It’s not a crime to be busy, Signorina,” Roberto said with a laugh. 

“Have a nice evening then,” Lei said firmly and moved to walk around his car, to hers. 

“Don’t run away, it’s just dinner,” Roberto cajoled pushing off his car.  Looking at Angelo he said, “I promise she won’t come to any harm.”

“I resent that,” Lei said with a frown, turning to scowl at Angelo. “Men, do I look helpless?”
“It’s alright to go out one night,” Angelo said in Italian. “Just go, Signorina.”

His eyes told her that he cared. He knew too much about her and the fact that he was presuming to advice her was a definite opinion on what she should do.  Turning back to Roberto, Lei shrugged and asked, “Where are we going?”

Roberto smiled and moved to take her arm before she could change her mind. Nodding to Angelo, he led her to the passenger side and helped her into the car.  Closing the door, he hurried over to the driver’s side and once he was in, he smiled.

“I promise to be on my best behavior and bring you home on time, Signorina.”

“Of course you do,” Lei said putting on her seat belt and sitting back in her seat suddenly feeling very shy and a bit out of place in this car with him.

Driving out of the parking lot, they both remained silent.  Roberto stole glances at her as he navigated on to the highway.  Today, she’d held her hair up in a ponytail, the black sweater she wore was tied around her slender waist and her legs were hugged by the blue denim of her jeans.  She seemed to have a fetish for the fabric. It seemed like all she wore, he mused.

“Where are we going?” Lei asked cutting into his thoughts.

“A small place I know,” Roberto replied, settling back as he drove on the highway. “You’ll love the food.”

“I’m sure,” Lei said with a small smile.

“Did you have lunch?”

“No,” Lei said in surprise.  She had been too busy. 

“Then it’s good we’re going out.  The owner of the restaurant we’re going to believes in good food and conversation.”

“Sounds like a very interesting time,” Lei remarked.

“It is. I go there when I need to relax.”

“So you think I need to relax?” Lei questioned turning her head slightly so that she could look at him.

“Of course, after the day you had yesterday, and then today, I am sure you need to relax,” Roberto replied glancing at her.  “You need taking care of.”

Lei chuckled at that one wondering the last time someone had said that to her. Other than her parents there was no one in her life to say it.  Her ex-husband Tony Augustino had been much too involved with his business to even bother about his young wife.

“You laugh, is it odd to care?” Roberto questioned.

“No, no,” Lei said. “It’s surprising is all; it’s been a while since someone said that to me.”

“Said what?”

“I need taking care of,” Lei said wistfully. “I’m usually doing the taking care.”

“Ah,” Roberto said in understanding.  It was a crime for a woman such as Lei not to have someone worry and care for her.  She was much too fragile looking and beautiful.  She needed to be protected and he was finding it appealing to take on the job.

“How come you’re free today?” Lei asked out of habit.  She was always apprehensive about men who seemed to have all hours of the day free.  Her ex had been the same when he’d courted her, and then after marrying him, she’d discovered his business.

“Took a day off, after the flight scare yesterday, I simply took off to enjoy the day,” Roberto replied.  “Appreciate life, you know, what did you do?”

“Call my daughter,” Lei said casually.  She watched him to judge his reaction to that little bomb.  It worked very well with men.  None of them liked the responsibility a child would bring to the relationship. They never called her out for a second date.

“What’s her name?” Roberto asked as casually, seemingly not bothered by the presence of a child in Lei’s life. 

“Sonya,” Lei replied. “She’s five and a little darling. Can’t imagine what would have happened yesterday if things had gone-

“Don’t think about it,” Roberto cut her off gently.  “Just be glad you got to hear her voice again.”

Lei looked out the window and nodded in agreement.  “Of course, you’re right.”

Roberto lifted his hand brought it to pat her knee before returning it to the steering wheel. From there, he launched into a probing discussion about Sonya, querying her about the girl and her habits.  Lei talked freely, Sonya had always been a topic she could discuss for hours.  The five years that she’d been in Lei’s life were the most lived, experienced full years of her entire existence.

They reached the small hotel on the outskirts of London, built like a little cottage.  Inside there were secluded tables, lighted warmly with candles, it gave it an intimate atmosphere.  The moment they walked in, they were met by a man Roberto called Alexander.

“How’s the business, Alexander?” Roberto greeted him with a smile.

“Amazing, when you come strolling in here with such a beautiful woman.  Hello, my dear, what may I call you?” Alexander said turning his welcoming face toward Lei.

“Lei,” Lei said charmed by his warmth.

“Like a flower, it suits you. Tell me what you’re doing with a bore like Roberto?” Alexander teased. Hooking his hand under Lei’s arm he led her toward a secluded table that seemed to appear out of now where. “Have dinner with me instead, I’ll charm you to sweet pleasure, and then we can spend a week in bed.”

Lei laughed at his outrageous comments and sneaked a glance at Roberto.  He was glaring at Alexander dangerously.

“Alexander, you’re charming, but I fear I’m much too inhibited for your tastes,” Lei countered.  “But, I’ll take the dinner. I’m an inhibited starved woman.”

“Elegantly done,” Alexander said placing his hand over his heart.  “You’re a beauty whom I will covet forever.”

Winking at her, he pulled her chair for her and when she was seated, he whispered. “When you two break up, come to me.”

Lei blushed and looked at Roberto who sat down and gave Alexander a pointed look.  In response, Alexander brushed a kiss on top of Lei’s head and waltzed away a grin on his face.

“He is a bit too much,” Roberto said acidly.

“It’s charming, he has a nice place,” Lei said looking around.

“Charming? That man is impossible,” Roberto kept at it, feeling angry with Alexander’s easy way with Lei while he tried to take it delicately and slow.

“He’s a bit potent but he has the charisma for it,” Lei said. “What’s the best thing to eat here?”

“The house special,” Roberto advised. “It should be whatever is floating Alexander’s mind.”

“Right,” Lei mused thinking that tonight she was going to be taking a chance on everything.  Staring at Roberto across the table, she realized that she’d told him more about her private life than anyone else in a long time.

“What?” Roberto asked noting her stare.

“Nothing,” Lei said looking down at her place setting.

Roberto watched her for a moment then said quietly, “I find myself drawn to you. Is that strange?”

Lei glanced up quickly, the comment surprising her more than she wanted.  It would be flattering to have this man look at her the way he was, but the truth was, she was in London for a week, then she’d be back in Milan living the quiet life she’d forged.

“You can’t get attached,” Lei said quietly, breaking his gaze.

Roberto smiled at that one but he refrained from telling her that it was already too late.  He wanted her.  Alexander chose that moment to appear holding a bottle of red wine insisting that it was the best vintage wine he had, and they simply had to taste it.

Their dinner consisted of a meridian salad that tasted fresh and tangy preparing them for a dish of Chicken marinated in sweet sauce then mixed in with pasta Alfredo.  It was delicious and Lei found herself digging in without any fear.  Alexander joined them for dessert, a bringing her a decadent confection of chocolate that she refused to worry about until the next day. She laughed and ate so much, between Roberto and Alexander, they entertained her until she was completely relaxed and without a care in the world.

“You must come again Lei,” Alexander insisted as he saw them out to the door. “You can’t possibly keep your beauty from me, it would be cruel.”

“Alexander, you should be a poet,” Lei mused turning to him. “I’ll try my best.”

Leaning up, she kissed his jaw. “Thank you for a lovely dinner.”

Alexander broke into a wide smile, “I’ve died and gone to heaven. Do that again.”

Roberto had had enough, so he glared rudely at Alexander, then steered Lei out toward his car.  The action made Lei burst out laughing but she gracefully gave in to Roberto’s direction.  Despite the exciting evening the strenuous day had taken its toll and the exhaustion was settling on her shoulders.  Helping her into the car, Roberto shut the door gently and hurried around to the driver’s side.

“I had fun, thank you,” Lei said quietly when he got in.

Roberto turned to look at her for a moment.  He wondered what she’d do if he kissed her.  Shaking his head to send those thoughts away, he started the car and headed back for the highway.  The drive back to the city was done in silence and Lei found herself drifting off to sleep.  Perhaps it was the wine or she was just tired, she just conked out completely.

Parking in front of the Windsor, Roberto turned to watch her again. It seemed to be something he couldn’t get enough of.  Her dark lashes were like shadows on her soft cheeks.  Wisps of hair had escaped her ponytail and were lying defiantly against her ears down her forehead.  She looked soft and so defenseless in her sleep.  He wondered how she’d ever been involved with a man like Augustino.  How could he have been allowed close to such a good woman?

A knock on his window brought him back from his thoughts and he looked to find the valet standing there.  Sighing he got out and said, “I’ll be right back.”

Then he went around to Lei’s side and opened the door.  Reaching in, he picked her up in his arms and was about to close the door with his leg when the valet came around and did it for him.  Nodding his thanks, he walked into the hotel and headed for the elevator.  The concierge offered to come along and pressed the number for him.  When they got up to Lei’s pent house the concierge knocked on the door for him.

Angelo opened the door immediately and Roberto carried her in to her bedroom.  Laying her down on the bed she turned and curled into a ball never once waking up. 

“Don’t be surprised, the Signorina loves sleeping,” Angelo mused.  “It’s hard to get her up when she falls asleep.”

Reaching for her leg, Angelo gently removed Lei’s black flats and placed them under her bed.  Then he grabbed a blanket and carefully covered her.  This was all done expertly; Roberto suspected Angelo had done it more than once.

Glancing around the room, he took in the work station by her windows, fabrics strewn over tables and chairs, mixed in with her own clothes and silky garments.  She was intriguing, he decided.

Nodding to Angelo, he gave Lei one last glance before he quietly left her room and headed out of the penthouse to the elevator.  It was decided, he thought as he rode the elevator down.  He was going to have to find another way to deal with Augustino.  She was not going to be part of it.  He wouldn’t dream of punishing her like that.

Tipping the valet for taking care of his car, he drove off already planning his next move.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony Augustino stared at the pictures of his ex-wife and daughter, wondering what they were doing right now.  He’d imagined he’d grow old with them doting on him, but alas, it wasn’t to be.  Leila had refused to be apart of his life.  Sighing, he put the photo back in its place at his desk and turned to the business at hand.  He was acquiring land to build a shopping complex in a small town on the outskirts of Milan.  The returns on the complex were going to be unimaginable, but he had a deadline to get it done before the investors backed out.  So far he had everything ready; including buying out the titles of land that he hadn’t yet.  The only glitch in the plan was a school built right in the middle of the land he’d bought.  It was owned by a woman who was in her early fifties and she was adamant about selling it.  He’d offered to help relocate the school and she’d refused.  All the offers his team had come up with had been denied and now, he was losing patience at her stubbornness. 

He needed her out within the month so that construction could get underway.  Sighing he leaned back in his chair and contemplated his next move.  It wouldn’t be pretty.  But it would be useful to him.  He didn’t care who got hurt as long as he got what he wanted.  So, the woman was a liability that needed to be dealt with.  Reaching for the phone on his desk, he dialed the number of his right hand man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Maria Delgado,” Franco Dicarlo said.  “That’s her name.  The school has been in Mrs. Delgado’s family for two generations.  She inherited it from her father.  It is unfortunate that her neighbors gave in so quickly.”

“It is not their fault, Papa,” Roberto reasoned.  “They were coerced. I’m sure Augustino is finding ways to coerce Mrs. Delgado as we speak.”

“And he will find it, don’t doubt it son.  Unless she agrees to work with us,” Franco advised placing the folder back on the desk. “It’s a race to convince this woman to side with us and save her school.  Do you think we can win?”

“Hard to tell, it all depends on what has happened to her.  Perhaps we can come up with something that will help her save her school.  A month until ground breaking, Augustino will go after her finances to bankrupt her.  As it is, I can’t leave for Milan right now.”

“Because of Leila Augustino,” Franco questioned, one eyebrow raised in amusement.

“Perhaps,” Roberto replied with a shrug.  He wasn’t about to confess to his father that Leila had dug herself into a part of him he didn’t understand.  It just wouldn’t do. “I’ll make some calls to the bank.  We’ll start the process of protecting Mrs. Delgado.”

“Of course,” Franco said hiding a smile.  He was enjoying this far too much.  He couldn’t wait for his son to give into the tides of love. “Now get to work, get something done.”

Roberto chuckled and got up from his seat.  Nodding at his father, he headed out the office.  Closing the door behind him, he glanced at his watch and saw that it was already nine o’clock in the morning.  Taking his cell phone, he rang up Leila.

“Mi scusi un attimo per favore,” she rapped into his ear, her tone authoritative and a bit out of sorts.  A second later, she said, “I’m very busy, what can I do for you Mr. Dicarlo?”

“So formal, Signorina Augustino,” Roberto teased.  “Are you angry with me?”

“No, not at all,” Lei replied, her cheeks flushing at the memory that she seemed to have fallen asleep on him the last time they had been together.  Not to mention that she’d been hoping he’d call her since the day before.  She was hardly busy; her assistants were doing all the work now.  Yet seeing his call had made her so happy, she’d gotten irritated with the emotion. 

“What exactly are you doing that has you so riled up?” Roberto questioned mildly.  It had been a full day since he’d called her and he wanted to see her now. Not to mention today was Wednesday and he wanted to bring her to dinner, to meet his father.

Lei sighed, “I’m sorry Roberto. I’m just a little anxious today.  My daughter is flying in this morning.  I’m a bit nervous.”

“Understandable, if you’d like, I’ll come along to the airport with you,” Roberto offered.

Lei agreed to the suggestion and they arranged on where to meet at the Heath row airport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tony Augustino landed at the airport around ten o’clock.  His thoughts filled with the success of a business deal he’d be closing in the afternoon.  He was in London to sign documents giving him shares to a part of a corporation he was acquiring.  His bodyguards picked his luggage and as he waited, he looked around and glanced at the receiving area.  At first he didn’t believe but blinking, he stared at Leila standing there looking expectantly at a fresh batch of passengers.  Wondering who she was waiting for and what she was doing in London, he started toward her but stopped when a familiar man with black hair moved to her side and seemed to pat her back reassuringly.  That was when he saw a smile break out on Leila’s beautiful face as a young girl ran up to her, holding a green bag in one hand, her plump cheeks flushed red in excitement and her curly hair tied away from her face in ribbons.  It was his daughter, dear Sonya.

“Mamma,” she squealed as Leila swept her up into her arms.

“Sonya,” Leila said and dropped a kiss on the girl’s cheek. 

Roberto Dicarlo, his enemy in all things stood beside his girls making them look like one big happy family.  Since when, Tony wondered, since when would that be okay in this world? Leila wasn’t with him anymore but that didn’t mean she could belong to Dicarlo.  Never, he thought in blinding anger.

Signore, let’s go the chauffeur is waiting,” his body guard urged.

Nodding, Tony gave them a last glance and allowed his men to lead him to the exit.  The whole time a wave of jealousy and anger wreaked havoc in him and he knew without a doubt that he wouldn’t rest until Leila and Dicarlo were apart.  He couldn’t allow her to remain with that bastard.  She was his and if he couldn’t have her, then no one else would.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It was fun, mamma. Are we going to fly in the sky again?” Sonya asked staring into her mother’s eyes as they stood at the receiving line.

Leila smiled, her anxiety dissipating now that she was holding Sonya in her arms and replied, “Of course, my darling.”

“Yay,” Sonya smiled widely, her huge eyes sparkling.  Shifting a bit her gaze fell on Roberto and she asked, “Who is this mamma?”

“This is Roberto,” Leila said turning to leave, Melissa the Nanny, bringing up the rear, with Angelo helping with the luggage.

Signore Roberto,” Sonya said out like her mother had taught her to when talking to strangers. “How are you?”

“I’m fine, Signorina Sonya.”

Sonya giggled at the response and hid her face in the curve of her mother’s neck.

“Thank you Roberto, for coming along,” Lei said gratefully as they stepped out into the sun.  “It was very kind of you.”

“The very least I could do,” Roberto said leading them to their car. “She’s beautiful.”

“Thank you,” Leila said holding tight to Sonya. “I feel much better now that she’s around me.”

“You even look it. Allow me to treat you to dinner tonight,” he said as they settled into the car.

“I can’t,” Lila said glad that she could use the excuse of Sonya to escape Roberto.  She didn’t like how her traitorous heart was softening toward him. He was the last thing she needed in her life.

“I’m inviting both you and Sonya,” Roberto stated. “I’ll pick you up at seven and don’t run away Lei.”

Before she could say anything, he closed the door and walked away leaving Lei staring after him with a scowl on her face.

“Very good,” Melissa complimented having entered the car beside her. Jolting Lei back to the present, Lei adjusted Sonya on her lap and asked irritated,

“What is very good?”

“A gorgeous Italian man and you’ve finally accepted to be taken care of,” Melissa said.

“I have agreed to nothing,” Lei said.  “I am being bulldozed through it all.  That man has no actual understanding of the word no.”

“Finally a man after my own heart,” Melissa said happily. When Leila glared at her, she elaborated. “It’s what you need sweetie.  It’s about time too.”

Lei shrugged at the comment and decided to concentrate on Sonya for now.  She would just revel in her daughter’s innocence and listen to her as she took in her first glimpse of London and the double decked buses, big Ben and the royal guards.  She answered all her questions patiently and laughed at her comments. Sonya was the one person Lei could find peace in.

© Copyright 2011 elly (elainanna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1765878-La-Leila---Part-Two