*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766286-What-People-Fail-But-Want-To-Say
by Mandie
Rated: E · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1766286
Just a lil story I wrote between 2 ppl who like each other but don't know what to say.
What 2 People Fail but Want To Say

                Sadie walked by the alley that she had normally taken before there was news about the serial killer stalking the city. Her mind was made up that she would keep herself from getting captured and killed like the other young 24-year-old Redheads that she had heard were found on the television. The media was a having a field day with the numerous disappearances and the few murders found all the area. The girls’ pictures that appeared on the television all bore the same similarities to her own appearance: Long red hair, blue eyes, skinny, and very athletic.
         Everyone had a theory of what was happening to the women that had been never been seen or heard again in over a month. Sadie’s friends thought they were just murdered and were waiting to be found. Sadie’s best friend, a detective, said that he suspected the perpetrator was collecting them. This thought was not as dastardly as the idea of being kidnapped then murdered for the hell of it. Sadie cringed…she’d rather be kept for collective purposes than tossed out like a heap of shit; was that a bad thought?
         With these morbid thoughts in her mind, Sadie pondered taking the short cut through the alley and risk the factors of meeting Serial Killer Benson, or to take the long way by walking the full mile to her house in the deserted city in the middle of the night. Both choices were risky for a woman that bore similiarity to the women whose fates were unknown.
         A car suddenly pulled up to her left. Sadie stiffened immediately when she saw the black corvette but relaxed just as quickly as her nerves had tensed when Detective Carl Davidson smiled at her from the driver’s seat.
         “Late night, Sadie?” He asked.
         With Sadie’s smile, he seemed to guess that as a “yes”.
         “I’m surprised you stayed as late as you did. With Benson on the loose, I figured you would be one of the many women to hide behind a locked door.”
         Sadie smiled still.
         “Do you need a ride?” asked Carl.
         “I would like one.” Sadie replied, not too willing to enlighten him on the choices she had been trying to choose between before he had arrived.
         “Then get in,” said Carl, laughing. “You must be tired.”
         “I am,” said Sadie, stepping in the passenger seat.
         “Drake got u working overtime, huh.” Carl replied, smiling but his tone was disapproving.
         Drake was Sadie’s supervisor in the medical center. Dr. Drake constantly kept Sadie busy with treatments of her patients because unlike other hospitals, Sadie was the only hard-working nurse. There were five others but because Sadie had made the impression she loved her patients and worked hard at her job, Dr. Drake made sure that she handled most of the treatments. Sadie wondered how long Drake would keep this up before he realized that it wasn’t her that needed the over time, but the others that needed the criticism.
         “Yeah,” answered Sadie.
         “With all the work he makes you do, you should be getting a raise.”
         “Drake just wants what’s best for the patients.”          
         “Maybe he should first consider what he’s doing to his number one nurse.” Carl replied.
         Sadie glanced at him, startled.
         “I’m not the one on the bed, sick. It’s the patients he cares most for, not his workers, Carl. I completely understand his motivations; I just wish he would lay off the criticism.”
         “Maybe that’s what you should tell him.”
         “I won’t though,” said Sadie quietly.
         “Of course not,” said Carl with a light chuckle. “You’re much too nice for that.”          
         Sadie looked from him out the window.
         “I guess they haven’t caught Benson, huh?”
         “No. We haven’t.” Carl replied stiffly. “But we will. One day or later, he’ll kidnap the wrong girl and the parents and friends will start private justice.”
         Sadie raised her eyebrows.
         “You sound as though u want that to happen.”
         Carl smiled, a guilty look about him came clear. He did want the vigilante justice. There was not another word exchanged between them, only because Sadie didn’t feel like talking further about Benson. Benson scared her; the thought of him more than just meeting him. She wouldn’t know how to react. Evidently, Carl could see that.
         “You want me to stay with you to make sure nothing happens tonight?” asked Carl. He helped her out of the car.
         “No,” said Sadie softly, “I’ll be fine. I put an extra lock on my door for the safety.”
         “Not for your mind’s comfort?” laughed Carl.
         They were at the door.
         “That too,” confessed Sadie sweetly.
         Carl, muscular in every way (cop strength). Carl, the handsome man that always was looking out for her, brown hair, green eyes, tanned, and polite.
         They paused awkwardly at Sadie’s door. There was a feeling between them that they both saw but couldn’t quite explain. Without knowing what to do, Sadie cleared her throat, placing her hand on the door.
         “I guess I’ll talk to you later?” asked Sadie.
         “Sure.” Carl returned. “I’ll call you.”
         “Great.” Sadie replied. She smiled. Then he smiled. They smiled still. Finally Carl cleared his throat, said his “goodnight” and then left in his car. Before he had gone, he seemed to hesitate, but then continued to start his car and drive away. Sadie smiled and walked inside.
         Carl Davidson was always looking out for her. Ever since they had first met, which was the first time he had saved her. A mugger had come behind and threatened to kill her if she didn’t give up her purse. Naturally, Sadie, wanting her life more than a few bucks, handed it to him. But the perpetrator wanted more than just her money. He advanced and then that was when Sadie saw the black Corvette, screeching to a halt, and out came Carl, in the police uniform, gun held at arm’s length with a dangerous glare on his face. Sadie had seen this expression and she knew the convict saw it too, for he immediately handed Sadie back her purse and took off.
         That didn’t stop Carl from going after him (after checking she was alright). The perp was caught but he was still concerned about Sadie’s mental comfort; he called on her for precautions’ sake and then since then, they had been friends. Though for the longest time, Sadie had always admired his physical figure, how he managed to stay in shape with the little spare time he had.
         He liked her. She liked him. But neither seemed able to say it in a way that wouldn’t sound cheesy or exaggeratedly bold. Sadie smiled, remembering how he hesitated before driving off in the night. She walked into her bedroom, undressed, and then fell asleep with the thought of Detective Carl Davidson wrapping his arms around her.

         
© Copyright 2011 Mandie (poeticheiress at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766286-What-People-Fail-But-Want-To-Say