*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766483-Her-Mistake
by Mariel
Rated: E · Fiction · Experience · #1766483
How one harmless mistake of returning something can lead to an excruciating ordeal
        I was okay until she brought out the other half of the necklace. Its sharp, carefully cut edges glinted mockingly at me. Rapidly, the necklace began to get slightly duller. All magic had gone… all the magic I wanted to protect her with.
         “Why are you giving it back to me? I explained everything to you, everything that could possibly matter to me. Why, Evelyn, how could you do this to me?” I whispered, clutching the one thing that would forever ruin my life.
         Shaking her head at me, Evelyn just answered, “Look, I don’t need any protection from you. My friends think I’m,” she paused to dramatic effect, waving her thin hand in the air, “crazy to think that this stupid necklace is going to do anything for me. It is way too big, and it’s hideous. Doesn’t match me at all,”
         Feeling like I had just been burned to the heart, I could only gape at her open-mouthed. Tears welled up in my eyes, threatening to pour out if I couldn’t control myself. Closing my eyes in disappointment, I heard the faraway sound of violins.          
         I gasped, “No, you can’t. I hear danger, I hear it… you must wear this necklace or you shall… you will surely be sorry for it,”
         Raising her head up to gaze at me, she frowned in that superior way of hers. Her eyes stared at mine, but no longer with respect, but as if I was nothing but dirt. “You’re no longer my guardian. I am almost seventeen, and I will no longer listen to you,”
         Pivoting curtly, she stalked out of the room like a queen. Her wavy, styled hair moved back and forth, like a pendulum. Every dark curl wagged at me, telling me not to even mess with them. I knew time was up for her, but I dare not say.

         I gazed out at the window, wanting to be anywhere but here. Everything that I merely glanced at reminded me of her, of the awful ordeal she would go through.
         Lifting my head up to the heavens, I saw a streak of golden cutting through the sky. The bizarre aura of light glimmered, shining brightly then getting slightly dimmer.
         The pearly pink sky held faint, wispy clouds, their innocent selves floating throughout the whole world. Suddenly, the calm, serene sky gave way to grayness, the clouds turning black. Thunder boomed, and at that very moment, rain poured down upon my roof.
         Panic surged through my very self, carrying me up on my feet. “No, not now, please God, don’t do this,” I whispered, rushing out the door.
         Where could she have gone? This could not get any worse, I thought worriedly, scanning at both sides of the street. The lights were all out, and not even the full moon was in sight. Rain sloshed through the street, lightning flashing in the distance.
         I focused my mind, using all of my strength to locate her surroundings. The world stopped just then, and only I moved. Every single drop of rain stood still, not moving even as I walked past them. A ghostly image began to appear. I saw faded pictures of a man, a cloak, a grin showing flawless, white teeth.
         Whimpering like a child, a puppy, I ran through the eerily still streets. A bird was stuck midair in the air, struggling to break free of my spell to fly away. Even a sack of rice, about to fall from its pile did not budge an inch.
         Shivering at the cold, I wished for no harm to come. Thinking that nothing could possibly happen since I was so close, I relaxed my mind the slightest bit, letting go of a few of my worries.
         That bird began flying away.
         That sack of rice tipped over.
         And I prayed to God that everything would go on as planned. Bolting through the roads, I zigzagged through the many turns, knowing my way like the labyrinth of my mind. My boots ran in the puddles, drenching my body in mud.
         Yet, I felt none of that cold, knowing that every precious second would matter. Every single moment led me one second closer to her fate. The sound of violins was louder now, their sweet sound making my heart race even faster.
         No one saw me running through the street except a young child, cocking his head at my antics. The toy in his hand dropped to the ground, forgotten. I felt his fear in the back of my mind, his confusion, his awe.
         My breath turned to a rasp, for I had gone many blocks. I ran some more, but my legs felt like they were on fire, it hurt so much. Still, I pushed on, knowing that every step would lead me closer to her. I loved her more than the world, and she knew that.
         Feet thrumming against the sidewalk, I fell down and started crawling to my dear Evelyn. My hands willed themselves to keep going, and that just a few steps later everything would be alright.
         I finally found the restaurant that held Evelyn. Barging in the front door, I looked around. The whole place was silent, the broken lights flashing on and off. “Evelyn?” I murmured, taking one step on the checkered floor.
         Looking down, I stared in horror at what I perceived. My heart stopped, and I turned to something to look at, anything, just to cry to the universe my pain. All that I knew in my life was gone, the only thing that ever kept me going. The slow, sad song of the violins had stopped.
         For Evelyn was dead.
         And she should have trusted me about that necklace.
© Copyright 2011 Mariel (theviolinist at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766483-Her-Mistake