*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766826-Surprise
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1766826
Written for a contest
Heather read that letter eight times before going to bed.
          Earlier that evening, the mailman had slipped a small envelope through the mail slot, but she had paid no attention. She continued to read her book, but was interrupted as she felt a slight tugging at the back of her mind. Something was trying to get her to open the letter. So she threw back her covers, swung her legs out, straightened out her night gown, and tore open the envelope. Inside was a store-bought, pink card. She opened it, feeling a rush of excitement.
          But all the letter said was, "I'm coming back." As she read it, chills came down her back. I'm coming back. She wondered what that could mean. Then, the following day, while at work, it came to her. She knew who was coming back.

He's coming back.


          Martin gazed out the window, looking for a pedestrian to shout at. He was depressed and angry, ever since he had left his wife. Regrets overcame him and swallowed him up in his new life, and he couldn't explain what had made him leave. So he was furious at her. He didn't know why, but all his rage was focused on her. But he still thought it might be nice to send her a birthday card. And so he did.
          As he sat down at his desk, his pencil was exploding with things to say. But as it ended up, he could only write one sentence. One sentence that he had thought months about. One sentence that controlled his life. One sentence. I'm coming back.
© Copyright 2011 Boston Meyers (bmeyers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766826-Surprise