*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766870-Young-Love
by skrbzz
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Teen · #1766870
Short and simple. A boy has a short encounter with their high school 'crush'.
Shoe laces drag across the sidewalk with each step. Holding on to the straps of his bag, he slowly makes his way to the crowd of anxious teenagers. Coming to an abrupt stop, he keeps his head down, the wind tossing his hair.

Where’s the bus?

Kicking the dirt with the tip of his shoe, dust billows around him. He cautiously looks up, eyes darting around with no intent to stare. His eyes meet with Katie’s and his mind only registers one thing, look away.

I hope she doesn’t think I was staring at her.

Pulling out his cell phone, he scrolls through his contact list several times. Sliding his phone back into his tattered jeans, he cautiously looks up. Katie’s rosy cheeks glow beneath the gray sky. Laughing with her friends, she combs her dancing hair back into place with the tips of her fingers. Their eyes meet again.

She probably thinks I’m staring at her now.

The smell of fries quickly clouds his mind, his best friend munching by his ear.

“Hey Josh look,” mumbles Calvin. Josh turns to see Calvin’s tongue protruding from his face and a mouth full of fries, “BLAHHHHHHH”.

“You disgust me,” laughs Josh. “You love me,” a smirk paints Calvin’s freckle face. “Obviously,” says Josh.

“So, who are you staring at?”

“No one, I wasn’t staring.”

“Did you talk to her yet pussy?”

“No, she’ll think I’m weird if I randomly go up and talk to her.”

“Pussy,” chirps Calvin, “Pussy pussy pussy.”

The screeching sound of worn brakes fill the air as the bus pulls to the curb, the crowd of teenagers gets tighter. “I call window seat, bitch,” shouts Calvin. Josh chuckles, “Whatever. I like the leg room anyways.”Josh and Calvin slip onto the bus and take a seat near the back.

“Did you do the homework,” asks Josh.

“Yeah, it took me forever though. There was this show on the discovery channel about this guy that talks to dolphins. You should look it up on YouTube, it was so cool.”

“You’re so weird.”

Katie and her friend sit right behind Josh and Calvin. The bus begins to drive. A sudden awkwardness overwhelms Josh and he begins to bite his nails. His heart beat races a little, pounding along with the potholes in the road. Josh turns to see Calvin with a grin, a grin that death would fear.

“Oh hey Katie and Jessica,” says Calvin, “How are you ladies today?”

Jessica giggles, “We are excellent today, why thank you, Sir Calvin. What of yourself?”

“I am lovely,” smiles Calvin, “Aren’t you lovely today Josh?”

“Yeah,” says Josh quickly.

Great, I sound like an idiot.

“Hey Josh,” says Katie.

His heart flutters. Pushing the hair out of his eyes, Josh turns around to meet face to face with Katie. Her chin is resting on her arms, neatly folding over the back of his seat.

Katie smiles, “How’s it going?”

Josh notices her dimples, “Everything’s good, how about you?”

“Good, good…I saw some of your drawings around school, they’re really good.”

“Thanks,” Josh smiles with unease, “but they aren’t that good.”

“Yeah they are, they’re so good. I wish I could draw like that.”

“You think that’s good, you should see him play the fucking guitar, he’s like the hulk…if the hulk could play guitar,” says Calvin.

“You play the guitar? I’ve always wanted to play. Oh my god, you so have to teach me,” says Katie.

“Sure, I could teach you,” says Josh.

I can teach her?

“Deal? You have to pinky promise?”

“Okay, pinky promise,” laughs Josh.

“You better not break it, or I’ll be upset.”

“I won’t,” his face flushes.

The bus pulls to a stop in front of the high school. The bell rings.

“Okay, I can’t be late for class again, Mrs. Polini will totally flip. I guess we’ll talk later, you can teach me this Wednesday.”

“Uh…okay,” smiles Josh, “bye”.

Katie races off the bus with Jessica, looking back one more time, waving.

“Dude get the fuck out of the seat, everyone’s off the bus!”

Josh’s smile grows as he strides off the bus, a hint of love in each step.

“You’re welcome,” shouts Calvin.
© Copyright 2011 skrbzz (skrbzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766870-Young-Love