*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767002-The-Desert
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1767002
Matthew's sister returns from the desert changed into something new.
She had been walking toward him for quite some time. He didn't notice until she stood directly over him. He was molding clay pots with his hands. 

At first he didn't believe she was real. 

Something was different about her.  The obvious thing was her new face.  But one other characteristic had changed, something much more subtle, and it scared him.

He met her eyes with uneasiness.  The way she regarded him was alien, blank, and she did not speak.
He imagined her hand growing long claws and slashing open his throat.

He felt vulnerable.  He felt like he should stand up.

“Victoria.”he said, standing and wiping his clay covered hands on his apron.  He tried to smile.  But he couldn't shake the feeling that he must be on his guard now.

“Brother.” Could she feel his unease? “The desert gave these to me as a gift,” she said, motioning to the bright streaks of red painted onto her face.  “Do you like them?”

“They're quite beautiful,”he said, being honest.

“I thought they might have frightened you.”

“No, dear sister.  It's rather something else that frightens me.” he said.  In his mind he thought If today is the day, so be it.  I am ready to die.

Her wide mouth opened and filled the air around them with radiant laughter.
“Do I look strong, brother?”

Her question came abruptly, and his mouth spilled out the thoughts in his head.

“Yes.  It's your body; the air around your body.  It radiates with heat, like when you look into the desert at high noon.  You stand before me, and if I reach out to touch you, my fingers will melt.” He was openly disturbed now, and he let himself step away from her.  “You are like an apparition.  A demon.”

All traces of laughter were gone and her eyes burned into his now.  She was foreign.  She was not his sister.  She was...


Matthew awakes and feels a heavy burden on his heart.  It has been almost six months since Victoria ran into the desert.  He wonders if these dreams mean anything.  He wonders if they foretell the future.  He hopes not.




© Copyright 2011 Ohstanley (ohstanley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767002-The-Desert