*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767427-Millions-of-Pakistanis-in-Need-of-Charit
by Kevin
Rated: E · Article · Environment · #1767427
Article from Chicago Flame detailing how to help victims of 2010 flood in Pakistan
As many of you know by now, there was a recent flood in Pakistan. According to the UN, the death toll is at almost two thousand and more than twenty million people have been injured or displaced. Over one fifth of Pakistan is currently underwater which is destroying homes, highways, electrical infrastructure, seventeen million acres of farmland, and costing the nation's economy as much as forty billion dollars.

If you wanted to contribute to help the situation, one direct way to help flood victims is to give a direct donation to the Pakistani Student Organization at UIC. The PSO often has members in the quad or SCE accepting cash donations for flood relief. If students and faculty are unable to contact PSO and wish to donate directly to help, or have questions, there are other various non-profit organizations that may be contacted.

Along with the PSO, the Asian-American Resource and Cultural Center is hosting a Pakistan Flood Relief fundraising dinner on the 24th. The event also includes a speaker panel, raffle prizes, and a silent auction. Tickets are $25 for students, $40 for non-students if tickets are purchased before Sep 17th, and an additional $5 after the 17th. Of course simple donations are also welcome. The dinner will be at Student Center West between 7 -10pm. To get tickets or make a donation, email tickets.fundraiser@gmail.com.

Outside of UIC, the South Asian Progressive Action Coalition (SAPAC), a Chicago based organization, is also doing a great deal to help flood victims. On their websites blog concerning the flood at: "http://www.sapac.org/blog/2010/08/26/pakistan-flood-relief-what-you-can-do-to-help/" http://www.sapac.org/blog/2010/08/26/pakistan-flood-relief-what-you-can-do-to-he... students can find a great deal of information regarding the effects of the flood on the people of Pakistan, and also a highly extensive list of US, Pakistani, and international organizations that are taking donations and supplies to support flood relief.

As the New York times mentions in there article "Western Donations Lag for Pakistan Flood Victims," several factors, including Pakistan's reputation abroad and "donor fatigue" are leading to a decrease in relief from many countries, especially western ones. By donating what you can or at least keeping informed about the flood in Pakistan, you can help bring tangible relief to millions of people who need it more than ever, and will continue to need it.
© Copyright 2011 Kevin (kbooke3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767427-Millions-of-Pakistanis-in-Need-of-Charit