*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1768023-igolo
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by chisom
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1768023
a short culled from my work on tales by moonlight,
IGOLO.

Once upon a time, a very long time ago, there lived a man, a very wealthy man, this man had seven beautiful wives and all his wives were fruitful having seven children each except for his sixth wife who had only one child, a boy.

All the children of the other wives were strong healthy and sanguine which made it much easier for them to be loved by their father. But the sixth wife and her son weren’t necessarily loved by her husband because she had only one child and to make matters worse he was different from the other children. The sixth wife could see her son’s potentials and so was never bothered to complain about what her husband did to her or her son, she also never seemed to be bothered about what the other children got from their father but prayed to her chi day and night so that her child could be wise.

Igho was his name, he was a very quiet and a thoughtful lad, Igho was a very contented youth, he was happy and ruddy in appearance, and as much as he loved the good things of life he never worried himself about the good and necessary things that he lacked. All he did was hangout in the fields tending the herds of his father’s sheep. His only comfort was his mother’s gift to him which was advice of diligence and a harp which he used to sing to himself and his chi.

The village had suffered losses upon losses of illustrious sons and warriors due to the terrorizing of the community by a very mighty and mysterious beast called IGOLO. Warriors, mercenaries, hunters, wise men and even sorcerers had always been summoned to destroy this mysterious beast but to no avail as they always failed or died. This increased the threat in the village because all the men became afraid of this beast that had so much power to take life and had defiled powerful men of the world. The village began to become deserted as villagers ran away to save themselves from impending death.

No one had seen IGOLO because those who went to fight it either died or got injured and deformed beyond ever being able to describe it. Except I the story teller who have seen IGOLO as old as I am I took it upon myself to study these mysterious creature after it attacked my people. My years of study have led me to its nest on the highest mountains and caves packed with treasures discovered by none. I have seen it sleep, I have seen it awaken. I have seen it scales, I have seen its tail, I have seen its eyes which is like amber diamonds of fire which if you peep into you might be forced to see the future, I have seen its ears and I have seen its nostrils which breathes out smoke as if it were a blacksmith billows. I have seen its teeth which are as white and sharp as an elephant tusk. It has two horns and sharp talons for finger nails and sharp claws. It has wings that it uses to fly, it`s size is that of seven lions put together. Igolo was a horrible creature which out of extinction found man a predator of the earth. It was the last of its kind.

The king of the village was disturbed about the circumstance; the villagers were abandoning their homes and moving to nearer villages or caves to hide for they feared impending danger and death by this mysterious beast. Famine was threatening the village; the villagers could no longer go to the farm to do their farming as fear covered the whole village as darkness covers the night. The king thought of what to do and even had to contact the high priest of the oracles of the seven seas to get solutions to the problems affecting his village and people.

The oracles of the seven seas told the king this “little is the lad; mighty is the slayer”.

The king thought about the meaning of this riddle and could not sleep for many nights, he called for his cabinet of chiefs and the wise men of the land and told them the riddle “little is the lad; mighty is the slayer.” None of them seemed to know either. That night the king had a dream and in that dream the high priest of the oracle of the seven seas told him once again “little is the lad ruddy! Ruddy!! Ruddy!!! Mighty the slayer; slay! Slay!!” He then saw the mountains crumble and on top a lad in shining armor. The following morning he summoned his cabinet and wise men and told them about this dream. The king and the cabinet called for Nnaola the gold smith. Nnaola was told to make shining armor in the likes of which the king saw in his dream. Nnaola did as he was told. Secondly the king asked his cabinet to assemble all the remaining youths of the village. The king then told them that if anyone could kill IGOLO he will give half of his village to him and also the hand of his beautiful daughter Adamma in marriage.

Adamma the king’s daughter was very beautiful. She on a daily basis went for a stroll in the fields with her maidens. So one day as she was taking a stroll she heard a beautiful voice singing a beautiful song played by a beautiful harp in the fields, in all her life she had never heard such an enchanting music in all of her father’s palace. She sort to look for the maker, as destiny would have it she set her eyes on this beautiful lad tending to the herds of his father’s sheep. Adamma fell in love with him instantly for he was handsome to behold and the tune he crafted out of his harp brought every creature in the habitat to a standstill. Even the singing birds of the fields never gave her so much music as she would have wished for this ruddy lad to come play in her father’s court.  Adamma sent her maids to call him, on the call igho looked up to behold his caller and to his surprise it was Adamma the king’s daughter who happened to pass by his pasture.

The youths of the village summoned up courage, some said that they will not abandoned their land, some agreed to fight because of the king’s stake.

The children of the wealthy man heard of this for they also went for the assembling. They told their father and mothers what the king had said about giving half of the village and his daughter’s hand in marriage to the man who shall kill IGOLO. Their father told them “death is a loss, but victory is glory”. Their mothers blinded by the vast fortune about to come, encouraged their children not to be afraid for they will pray to their chi for strength and victory.

The news about the king’s offer had spread like wildfire. Igho was still tending to his father’s sheep and therefore had not heard the news until he got home where his mother told him about the king’s offer. Igho slept that night and had a dream, in that dream he saw himself talking with himself, in the dream it says “you can do it, can you do it? Yes I know you can do it, surely thy redeemer.” Igho thought about this dream in his mind and the following day he told it to his mother who did not like the idea of the dream and told igho to forget it as just the recess of his mind and the king’s splendid offer. Igho knew that duty had called.

All the youth of the village assembled. I akuko the great story teller was summoned It was I that would lead the youths of the village to the caves of IGOLO. The youths wear bound in strong amulets the likes of which if a machete is sharpened to the sharpest bit would not even pierce the skin. The time had come. We all set out to the caves of IGOLO, all men singing a warrior song as if by their chants IGOLO would flee. We awakened it but before we got any closer I urged the youth to make camp in the open fields where IGOLO comes to ease himself. We made camp fires; the youths were so much blinded by their exuberance that they drank palm wine and danced. Thus within myself I heard “strong wine is not for the children of men, but for the gods” this only did not allow me to partake of their reveling. I had with me a magic portion which could make one invisible so I brought them out and kept them so close to be prepared for when IGOLO should strike. I was glad that day, that the moon was full and that the sky was clear and the songs of the youth was intoxicating that I nearly jumped out of my old age to join in but wisdom preserved me for at that moment, the blowing of the wind changed and began to blow away logs of woods from the camp fire. IGOLO had arrived.

IGOLO flew in the air, the flap of its wings could be described as the hurricane of the seas which blew house tops away. Youths who were too drunk were blown away by sudden gush of wind that came to them unprepared. I quickly shifted to the boundaries of the field and drank my portion thus I became invisible. IGOLO blew fire from its mouth. The youths not relenting began to fight it they threw spears, arched arrows, and macheted but to exhaustion. One flap of IGOLO’s wings blew them away; his breath of fire scorched them. They were left with no choice than to flee. I too fled because I had never seen IGOLO as furious as this.

The news of their defeat got to the village, this only made the king more disturbed because nothing more he thought could be done. Many youths were killed by IGOLO, some were never even found. This loss grieved the king that he became so worried sick; he stopped to eat and even to attend his cabinet meetings. It was like he had left his village to fate. More villagers deserted the village. Those who could not find their children cried day and night at the king’s palace of what the king would do for them, this only made the king more depressed. Adamma who saw the king’s condition became worried of what this might do to his health; she summoned the palace musicians to come play music that could lighten the king’s countenance. The palace musicians were beaten and asked to leave because their music only depressed the king the more. Adamma knowing how music changes her countenance whenever she was sad could not comprehend why the king acted this way; it was then one of her maids reminded her of Igho.

Igho was sent for by Adamma, at first he was shy to go, he said to himself ‘of what importance do I have with the king and his daughter. I am just a quiet boy’. Adamma was angry because igho refused to come, she asked her maids to come with her, she was going to go to igho’s mother. Igho’s mother was attentive to the cry of the king’s daughter for she said of her father’s depression on account of the village loss. She told of how she and her maid had taken a stroll one evening and had seen igho play music so enchanting that even the singing birds and animals stopped to listen. She told of how she herself was captivated by such music, that is why she had come to ask igho to come and play for the king perhaps he too might seem enchanted and get better. Igho’s mother called for igho and told him of what the king’s daughter said, she gave him good reasons to help.

The next day igho rose up early and kissed his mother good morning, he left for the king’s palace. He took his harp along. On his arrival he was ushered in by the king’s guard. The king’s daughter was already waiting for him, she had already told the king about him. Igho entered the king’s palace and greeted the king as custom demanded. He was welcomed. Adamma, now then asked him to play a beautiful tune that could ease the king from his depression the likes of which she heard him play in the field, for she was dying to hear the song that so made her fall in love with him. Igho played. Not five minutes after he had begun the king began to smile so cheerful, a smile that seemed like the crescent moon in the starry sky. The king’s countenance was change to cheerful, indeed igho’s music had got effect on him and adamma had succeeded in hearing the one she love; play. Immediately the king asked of igho parents, he was told who they were; he employed igho to become his chief royal musician. Igho found favor in the king’s sight.

Igho filled with happiness ran home to tell his mother about what had happened to him. His mother was filled with joy and they both rejoiced and gave thanks to their chi for favor. The following days were routine, igho made the king happy always that the king never allowed him out of sight.

One day while igho was playing for the king, the king narrated to igho, about the troubles of his kingdom, and that while he spoke he knew not what to do. The king told him about his offer of half his kingdom and his daughter as bride to the one who is able to put an end to this deluge. The king also told him of the failure of all the great men that have tried. This inspired igho for he remembered the dream he had, he remember also when he killed a lion that came to attack the herds of his father’s sheep. This he told to the king who gaped in so much awe. Igho told the king that he would fight this beast that has put his kinsmen to this dreaded fear and defiled their homeland.

The deal was set the die was cast. And because igho was much favoured by the king, he was giving special warfare training. The golden armour cast by nnaola was brought for him to test on. Igho tested the armour, it was too heavy for him, he could not carry himself talk more of walk. Igho told the king that he would not be able to fight in the armour but implore the gods of the land to fight for him. The king agreed to this. Igho made sure his sling and harp were ready, that night he put round pellets of iron into fire and allowed it to get red hot.

On the fourth night igho and I Akuko set out to fight IGOLO, we went up to its caves. On getting there igho began to play his harp, of a truth even I in my entire aged live have never had such music which he played, it was so beautiful to hear that even I was awe stricken. It was like poetry out of a harp. Suddenly the caves became quiet, I could hear the footsteps of IGOLO approach silently like saying “who is thou that has come to seek his death so soon”. Igolo showed from the corners of the caves, looking as fearful as ever, he breathed and smoke came forthwith from his nostril, his scales shown like icy mirrors because I saw myself shiver through their reflections. To my uttermost surprise, IGOLO did nothing but sought from where such sweet music came from, at seeing this igho played better. As IGOLO brought its head towards the sound of music igho was playing, igho with a mighty forces struck the head plucking out one of its eyes. IGOLO in pains of anguish screamed so loud that the caves shook terribly; as it opened it mouth wide in screams igho took that opportunity to use his sling to cast the red hot iron pellets into its mouth. IGOLO swallowed hard and as soon as it got to it belly, it melted it stomach. That was the first time I saw IGOLO the beast flee.

We chased after IGOLO and after two days we found him already dead and beast of the air tearing up it carcass. Igho took out his machete and struck out the head of IGOLO. Then out of happiness he knelt down and shouted a prayer of thanksgiving and praise to his chi. we returned to our land.

The king of the village, igho’s mother, his father, his brothers and sisters, their mothers and all people of the land waited for igho’s return, for all the people of the land had heard about igho. Not forgetting our beautiful princess adamma who was all ready dressed in her bridal clothes. The tension would have gone on when the sun began to set and out of the yellow horizon igho and I emerged with the head of IGOLO.

Igho’s mother was the first to hear the song igho sang.

“mama abua’m igolo

Gbam gbam igolo. Igolo.. igolo…

Gbam gbam igolo.

Ezem abua’m igolo

Gbam gbam igolo. Igolo.. igolo…

Gbam gbam igolo.

Alam abua’m igolo

Gbam gbam igolo. Igolo.. igolo…

Gbam gbam igolo.

When igho’s mother heard this song from a distant she doubted in her heart thinking that the gods wanted to deceive her but when she listened closely to the voice; motherly love told her that it was her son who sang so beautiful a song of victory. She screamed “chimoo…!” and ran to meet him. When the villagers saw her do this they wondered if she was insane until her chi opened up their ears to hear the song and out of the horizon igho emerged. When the king saw this he shouted for joy and even fell off his throne, he took off his crown, ran towards igho, embraced and kissed him on the cheek then he put the crown on igho’s head. Then as igho played the harp the king danced joyously. The people of the land rejoiced. Igho’s father rejoiced, his step wives with their children rejoiced. There was more joy that day in the land than joy could be named.

The king fulfilled his promise; he gave igho half of the kingdom to rule and his daughter adamma as his bride. Thus igho, the king, adamma; his beautiful bride, his mother and relatives lived happily ever after.

The end

                                                                                                                                                          As told by njum oji.























© Copyright 2011 chisom (eoji at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1768023-igolo