*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1769436-A-Compllicated-Relationship
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1769436
Misunderstandings can hurt more than the truth.
The young man walked down the street in the pale blue, draw string pants issued to him during his brief stay at the psych ward. Seemingly without a care, he made his wobbly way down the sidewalk. A car horn startled him into awareness and he looked wildly around, heart pounding.

“How did I get here? Wasn’t I just in the store?” It was like being in the store, blinking, then being on the street corner. He rubbed his face, trying to make sense of it. “It seemed so real.”

It was embarrassing to realize that he must have walked down the street with his eyes rolled back, dreaming, and almost wandered out into traffic. He shivered. “I’m gonna be sick soon. I’ve got to find a way to quit doing this.”

=====

The woman stomped to the window and angrily yanked the string to pull the blinds up. They sagged unevenly down on the right side. “Where is he?” She had to talk to someone. She stormed upstairs and called her friend.

“Hello?”

She sobbed into the phone.

“Are you alright?”

“I’m s-s-sorry I’m crying. He’s g-gone again.”

“Wow. I’m so sorry to hear that.”

“All those times he said he’s not cheating on me. It’s the third t-time he’s disappeared for the entire weekend this month.” Her body was shaking with the tears that were demanding to come out. How could he do this?

“I told you before, you’re too good for him. You shouldn’t put up with this! If it were me, I wouldn’t wait to see if he’s gonna show up tomorrow on your payday. His stuff would be on the porch tonight!”

She didn’t want to hear that he’s a rat and a no-good scoundrel. She wanted him to be a good man. Always waiting for the day when he would straighten up and be a good man. They talked for a while and she cried.

She decided to try to do something to keep her mind off of it. It didn’t help. She knew he had a problem, but how much is she supposed to accept? All the signs are there, and he’s always denying it. She started scrubbing the dishes violently. “If he prefers to be with some other woman, then let him be with her! See if she will be so understanding when he disappears on her all weekend!”
© Copyright 2011 Dixicon (dixicon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1769436-A-Compllicated-Relationship