*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1769526-A-Drive-in-the-Forest
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1769526
A drive in the woods turns dark really fast.
The forest wasn’t too dark that night. The moon was full and there were little clouds in the sky. It was bright enough to drive without turning on your headlights. Even so, one lone car drove along the road through the forest; Its headlights shown through the trees. A guy was driving the car and a girl sat in the passenger’s seat. She was smiling.
“I just love the looks on their faces,” she said, “Don’t you?”
“Not so much,” he shook his head.
“I mean, their eyes get so wide,”
“Yeah…”
“And one man, oh God, he was sooo funny.”
“Why?”
“When I looked right at him, I thought he was gonna piss his pants!”
The guy smiled faintly.
The girl stopped laughing, “So where are we going next?”
“North.”
“Well, where north?”
“I dunno, just…north.”
“Any towns where we’re headed?”
“Dunno. Oh, yeah, there’s one right outside this forest.”
The girl rolled her eyes and sighed. She askd, “Are there any restaurants nearby? I’m getting hungry.”
“What does it look like to you?” the guy joked.
“Shut up.” The girl said, “Is there a restaurant, yes or no?”
“I think. I mean, there should be a Pizza Hut in town or something.”
“Alright then.”
They drove in silence for a bit.
“Should we let her out now?” the girl asked.
“I guess.”
He pulled over to the side of the road. The guy looked at the girl, “…is this right?”
“Is what?” the girl asked.
“What we do? I know it’s just for fun and all, but should we really keep doing it?”
“We’ll stop when we’re older. Then we’ll look back and laugh about how wild and crazy we were when we were young.”
“Y’know, we’re not that young.”
The girl didn’t say anything. She reached for the glove box as the guy put a skull mask over his head.
“I don’t need it.” He told her. She put her arm down.
“Why her?” she asked.
“You wouldn’t understand. You’d laugh.”
He got out of the car and walked over to the trunk. He opened it and pulled out a young girl. Her arms and legs were bound and a piece of duct tape covered her mouth. She tried to escape his grasp.
“Stop moving, you little bitch.” the guy said.
Tears were streaming down her face.
“I know you’re a little freaked out by what we did back there. I mean, one minute you’re just doing your job, helping people cash their checks, and the next minute, some nut’s got a gun in your face. There are wacko’s and nuts and all kinds-a bonkers in the world. But we ain’t too mean, are we?”
She stared at him.
“Are we?”
She shook her head.
“Thanks. You wanna know why I saved you?” he turned her around and grabbed her hands, “Cuz I saw your fingers. They’re all callused. I’m guessing you play guitar.” He brushed his callused fingertips against hers, “I’d never kill a fellow musician.”
He walked her a few feet away from the car, “I’m sorry for this.” He pushed her to the ground. She squirmed around, but couldn’t get up. He walked back to the car and got in.
“You sure she can’t get into town?” the girl asked.
“We’re about three miles away. By the looks of it, she’s not going anywhere.” He started the car and drove onward. The girl looked in the rear view mirror and saw the body on the ground.
“Somebody’ll drive down this road and find her, right?”
“Oh yeah,” he coughed, “Somebody’s bound to find her eventually…”
They sat in uncomfortable silence all the way to Pizza Hut.
© Copyright 2011 Eric Glass (leons47 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1769526-A-Drive-in-the-Forest