*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1772713-Ardor--Redolence-Chapter-17
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by onaya3
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1772713
When World War Three Hit

I remember the first day of War like it happened yesterday…the 6th June, 2062.

At first they used bombs. And then they used land attacks with aircraft, tanks and soldiers. Then in 3 months, both sides declared a truce to limp back into their corners like wounded dogs and lick their wounds.

For 37 years afterwards, it took the world to recover from radiation sickness, looting and domestic violence over food and unpolluted natural resources. Not only was the country on alert against invasion by the enemy but people turned against their own neighbour.

Television stopped. The internet stopped. Video-phones, mobile phones, the mail and newspapers stopped…because there were no more media companies, telecommunications companies, internet service providers or anything left. The people who worked or even ran these companies were either blown up, shot, murdered for something somebody else wanted like food or your home or even your wife – if she was healthy.

People stopped coming to work with the collapse of the economy… there was no point turning up for a job you wouldn’t get paid for. Almost the only jobs that remained, were government jobs.

There were jobs in the Military, which also served occasionally as domestic peace-keepers since there was no longer a police force. There were jobs in certain hospitals. There were a few jobs in transport that moved troops and weapons around the country. There were a few jobs in government offices as bureaucracy continued. There were a few jobs in certain towns that held the most government work, such as Shops, Bars or Hotels that surrounded military bases or government office buildings.

Either way, there weren’t enough jobs to go around as there was no longer any financial aid or food schemes for the poor. You either swam or you sunk. You tried to make yourself useful in other ways to put food in your mouth. That is, if you still had an appetite or your teeth hadn’t fallen out because of radiation sickness. Or you simply took what you couldn’t afford and if anybody caused a fuss, you killed them to keep them quiet or to make them go away.

All of this first started out, outside of Alaska. My state remained ‘safe’ during the first month of War. We weren’t a target to be blown up and we were far away from the other places that were. And later, when Dad told Julian and I why Mum was no longer with us, it explained how the radiation clouds stayed away; why we were miraculously blessed with unpolluted land and water and how the nuclear fall-out affected other parts of the world but our own.

But I digress… yes, back in the beginning, I remember the first day of World War Three, like it happened yesterday. The day before, our house was a hive of activity and at the time, as a fifteen year old girl, I couldn’t understand why.

Mum had been working with Dad, Grandfather and the Tribal Elders for years, preparing for The Day. She ensured every house in the tribe built a greenhouse to grow our own food. She used the huge corporation, Hodge Endeavor, to build two huge underground bunkers to store more food and supplies in. She worked in conjunction with her Australian and English relatives as they did the same thing.

Mum was rushing around in a pair of jeans, sneakers and her favourite blue-velvet zip-up jacket. Her wavy chestnut hair was tied in a pony tail, which made her look younger. She and my Dad already appeared to be in their twenties when in actuality they were in their thirties. They both had bright blue eyes, but Dad’s seemed to stand out more as they were accentuated against his Lokoti straight black hair. I mirrored Dad’s colouring as my blue eyes were in direct contrast to my wavy dark hair. Julian had more of a Lokoti appearance with the straight black hair and dark brown eyes, as Great Grandfather and Grandma had.

“Arabella.” Dad caught her arm as she was rushing past him. I watched him pull her in and hold her close. “Maybe you should take me with you to see the Circulate.”

“No.” She frowned, before she continued on in her English accent. “I’m sorry Em, but I can’t.” Her eyes watered and so did his. “We don’t know for certain how this is going to turn out.”

“Can you take your mobile phone with you and call me?” Dad asked worriedly.

She smiled sadly, “I don’t get good reception on planet Mars.”

Just then Grandfather who was standing by the TV set, turned the volume up.

“…our source in the White House has advised that the North Korean and Chinese governments, have ceased all contact with the US Government. Korean officials have even evicted the US Embassies in each country, from their soil…” the newsreader on the news channel reported.

Grandfather frowned as he used the remote to click to another channel.

“…the President has called an emergency meeting with his military advisers and we have it on good authority that the military is on high alert…” another newsreader read out.

Grandfather frowned deeper still, as he clicked to another channel.

“…the United Nations President is attempting to call an emergency summit with the leaders of the major superpowers, however there are fears that the time for talking has ended. It is believed that all countries that possess nuclear arms, are watching the other as a stalemate has begun…”

Whatever channel Grandfather changed to, the usual programming was suspended and the news was constantly on.

Grandma came out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on a tea towel as she had started to prepare an early dinner. She looked on Mum expectantly as did Grandfather and both of my grandparents looked sad, although at the time I couldn’t understand why.

Dad openly cried as he gripped onto Mum hard. “OK Arabella, now tell us what to do. Tell us what you want us to do.” he begged.

“Em.” Mum cupped his wet face. “You know what to do. We’ve been preparing for this.”

Then Mum momentarily looked away from him and over to Julian and I, sitting at the table with our homework. We stared back at her confused, unsure of what all the fuss was about.

“I have to go now, Em.” Mum tried to pull away but Dad wouldn’t let her go.

“No…” Dad sobbed, shaking his head, “…no.”

“I’ll come back Em.” Mum hugged him tightly. “I’ll find a way to come back, I promise.”

Just then my stomach sank as I felt my skin turn cold with dread… Why was Mum talking like she was going to go away for a long while? Where was she going to? What’s the big deal about going to the Circulate Headquarters on Mars? She always goes there and a couple of times she’s taken us there with her, like for self defense training. My twin and I exchanged a worried look.

“Mum.” Julian suddenly stood up and I was quick to follow. “What is it? What’s wrong?”

Mum now rushed over to pull him into an embrace and then she waved me over for me to join in the hug. She hugged the both of us hard, for a long, long time. I even felt her tremble with emotion as she did this.

“I love you two from here until eternity.” She pulled away to gaze into our eyes and to stroke our faces. “No matter how much I prepared and organized, I didn’t plan on this actual moment happening.”

“What actual moment, Mum?” I asked, frightenedly. I didn’t like the way she was talking.

“I have to go to Circulate Headquarters for a little while.” Mum looked into each of our faces. “I might be gone for a little while, but I’ll try to come back as soon as I can.”

Then Mum looked over at Grandma standing by the kitchen entranceway and over at Grandfather standing in our lounge room. She started to open her mouth to say something else to them, but then she faltered. She looked lost for words.

“We know, Arabella.” Grandfather said seriously. “You have to go now. But you be careful. If you need back up or help from the pack, you know where to find us.”

Mum sniffed as she nodded and then she looked Grandma’s way.

Grandma gave her a sad smile as her eyes watered before she gave Mum a parting nod. Grandma was a woman of few words but her looks usually said it all – and this was one of them.

Mum released Julian and I and turned to start towards the front door…with Dad, Julian and I following after her. Grandfather and Grandma simply stood there sadly and watched her go.

Mum opened the front door and walked out onto the front porch with Dad right on her heels. Julian stopped in the doorway, to let Dad say good bye to Mum, and he held me back to make me do so too. So my twin brother and sometimes my worst enemy and I stood there, with our arms about each other, looking on.

Dad followed Mum down the porch steps and out onto the gravel driveway before she stopped.

“Becareful Arabella.” Dad pleaded. “Are you sure you don’t need me to come with you?”

“I’m sure Em.” Mum shook, as she and Dad just stood there and cried.

“I love you Arabella.” Dad uttered out before he gave her a long, hard kiss. Then he held her for what he thought was his last time. “And I’m a Lokoti Werewolf and you know about the Lokoti Werewolf mating process. We mate for life. This means I’m always gonna be here, waiting for you.”

“And I’m a Circulator.” Mum cried into his chest. “Which means I get to take our love into infinity come.”

Then I guess that either Dad couldn’t bare to let her go, or Mum couldn’t bare the idea of pulling away…so she went into phase like that, still in Dad’s arms. In a flash of light, she disappeared. Dad lowered his now-empty arms as he stared heartbrokenly, at the treeline of the surrounding woods.

And that was I guess the last time I thought I’d ever see my mother… ever again.

~~~~~~~~~

Over the next 12 hours, our TV set constantly remained turned on. Dad and Grandfather stayed up all night, watching the worlds events unfold. So Grandma took command of putting Julian and I to bed that night.

“Did you brush your teeth?” she asked as she came into my room.

I nodded and watched her face as she tucked me in. Her face had it’s typical calm expression, but it did look slightly sad tonight.

“Grandma.” I began.

“Yes?”

“Why did Mum and Dad behave towards Mum going to Circulate Headquarters today like we’re never going to see her again?” I asked anxiously. My bad feeling just wasn’t going away, it was only getting stronger.

“Jess, your mother is a Light Person. She can do things other people can’t.” Grandma said what I already knew.

“Yes? But?” I half sat up.

“Only time will tell Jess.” Grandma said elusively. “And your mother could control time… and one day, so will you be able to.”

Grandma placed a kiss on my forehead and then switched off my lamp before I could discuss this further. I watched her walk out of my dark bedroom towards the bright hallway, and then she shut my bedroom door behind her, leaving me in complete darkness.

~~~~~~~~

It took me ages to fall asleep that night as I tossed and turned constantly. I was really worried about Mum and why she was acting like she was leaving us for good. She said she was going to Circulate Headquarters… so what’s the big deal about that?

My dreams showed me many frightening images that night… of fire. I saw a strange fire that looked completely white before it turned orange and it emitted a strange smoke. The smoke looked like a giant mushroom and it seemed to get bigger and bigger. On the ground, from the white, blinding fire, everything was blown apart or it melted as if it were in a furnace. In my dream, I even saw buildings melt and concrete blast apart like it was chalk being crushed.

“Jess?”

Suddenly somebody switched on my bedside lamp again and when I opened my sleepy eyes, I saw it was Dad. He was still wearing yesterday’s clothes.

“Jess get up.” Dad pulled down my covers.

“Huh? Why?” I slow sat upright.

Dad moved quickly, grabbing my robe from it’s hook on the back of my bedroom door and putting about my shoulders. He next fetched my slippers and proceeded to put them on my feet.

“C’mon Jess, we have to hurry.” Dad took hold of my hand and pulled me to my feet.

I was led by the hand out of my bedroom and down stairs. Before I was ushered out of the house, I managed to catch sight of what was on TV. I saw the same kind of bright fire and strange mushroom cloud on the TV screen from my dream… and then the screen went blank.

What the…? I was about to ask Dad what was the strange movie on TV, but he ushered me out the door, slamming the front door behind us.

As I was led onto the driveway, I saw a pajama and robed Julian, being ushered into Grandfather’s truck.

“I’ll meet you there.” Grandfather said to Dad who gave a nod.

“Meet us where?” I yawned. It was still dark! What the hell was going on?!

I was gently pushed into the back of Dad’s truck, with Dad climbing into the driver’s seat and Grandma into the passenger’s seat.

“Dad? What’s going on?” I queried. “Where’s Mum? Isn’t she coming with us?”

Dad didn’t answer, he started up the ignition and then he reversed out of the driveway so fast, he skidded out onto the road! Woah! I’ve never seen Dad drive so recklessly before.

“Dad?” I asked again. “Where’s Mum? Is she going to meet up with us too?”

Nobody answered my question as Dad sped down the hill and towards our tribal lands community centre. I realized Dad was driving us to the newly rebuilt Town Hall and my eyes widened in further surprise when I saw just how many vehicles were already here. From the amount of people going inside the Town Hall, it looked like every Lokoti was here!

What the hell is going on… why are we all being taken here at 3.30 AM?

Dad parked his four-wheel drive behind Grandfather’s pick-up truck, on the road a short distance away from the Town Hall. I guess I was still half-asleep and I moved too slowly, as Dad ended up opening my door for me and then tugging me out into the cold, night air. My slippers squished in the mud by the side of the road, from the recent rain.

“Dad…” I began to complain, but then I didn’t have to.

Dad picked me up just like he used to when I was a little girl and slung me on his back. Like this, with my legs wrapped around his waist, he briskly walked into the Town Hall. He had to pause a couple of times as he waited for his mother to catch up.

As soon as we were inside, Dad lowered me to my feet as Grandfather and Julian joined us.

“Jess and Julian, you stay here with your Grandma.” Grandfather ordered, and then he shot Dad a concerned glance.

Grandma gave a nod to let the two men know she would be OK and then Dad and Grandfather walked a short distance away. I recognized the members of the pack, which included Dad and Grandfather, all converge near the front of the hall and talk quietly amongst themselves.

As I looked around, I saw all the other kids were in their pajamas too. The whole hall was abuzz, with everyone looking confused or worried.

“What’s going on?” I looked from Julian to Grandma.

But Grandma didn’t answer, she was too busy watching the members of pack who were deep in conversation.

“Clara!”

“Jess!”

Grandma’s and my heads turned from hearing the sound of our names being called out. We watched Mrs. Wisetail and her son Hunter, come and stand with us. Mrs. Wisetail had called out Grandma’s name as Hunter had called out mine. Mrs. Wisetail whose husband was also one of the pack, stood beside Grandma and both women, anxiously looked on.

“Hey Hunter.” Julian greeted. “Do you know what’s going on?”

Hunter looked at him in surprise from his question, then he saw from the expression on my face that I was just as clueless.

“World War Three has started.” Hunter stated. “Washington DC, New York, LA, San Francisco and a couple of other places are being hit with nuclear missiles as we speak.”

Julian’s eyes almost popped out of his skull as my jaw dropped to the floor…!

Just then Ian jogged up to Hunter’s other side, holding a small pocket radio in his hand.

“Nuclear missiles have been launched on London, Paris and other European cities… and Russia has just initiated a counter strike!” Ian cried out.

The surrounding families, who were standing around us who heard that, emitted sounds of shock and horror. Even the pack paused in conversation and looked Ian’s way.

“This is it.” Ian looked Hunter in the eye. “This is what the Tribal Elder’s have been trying to prepare us for. It’s Armageddon.”

Even Gavin joined in on the excitement as he was listening to the radio on his iPod. “Chinese land force attacks have begun an invasion of Japan!”

Then somebody else called out, “The US missiles have just hit Beijing, Seoul, Wuhan, Taiwan and Hong Kong!”

“Chicago’s been hit! So has Dallas!”

“Idonesia’s just launched two missiles at Australia! They think they’re targeting Sydney and Canberra!”

“Mexico has launched land force attacks on Columbia and Brazil!”

As each new piece of information was shouted out, my terror was escalated. I looked about wildly as different people shouted out what came in through the static of the radio. I vaguely felt Hunter’s hand as it tentatively reached for my own and then enclose it… but the horror of the situation made teenaged angst or hormones ridiculous at that moment.

I was feeling petrified by this stage and I started to sense that what was happening to the world right now? It was somehow linked to Mum’s odd departure.

“Where’s Mum?” I demanded of Grandma. “Where’s Mum?” I looked at my twin brother. I pulled my hand free of Hunter’s and took a few steps towards where Dad and Grandfather were standing with the pack. “Where’s Mum?” I cried out, desperately afraid. “Dad? Dad! Where’s Mum? Grandfather! Where’s Mum?”

Dad looked pained as Grandfather looked sad. The two men just stood there, looking my way. The whole pack had turned quiet and some of the men’s heads ducked as they looked downcast.

“Where’s Mum?!” I demanded, becoming shrill. “She’s not in Sydney is she? With the Baker’s? She’s not in England, is she? With the Worthall’s? Where is she Dad? Is she still on Mars?”

Dad left his place among the pack as he rushed forwards to scoop me up in his arms.

“No Jess.” He started to cry again. “Your mother isn’t in any of the places that are getting bombed. She moved your Australian and your English families to safety last week. Remember when she had to do those chores with your Gran and your Great Gran? They were moving everyone to safety. Everyone’s away from the bomb blasts, just like we are.”

I started to cry into his shirt just like I saw Mum do. “But where’s Mum?” Eventually I looked up into his anxious face.

“She’ll be OK Jess.” Dad tearfully stroked my hair. “She’s doing what she has to do.”

“What does she have to do, Dad?” I cried. “Where’s Mum?”

However we were interrupted when Ian called out, “hey, my radio has stopped working.”

“So has mine.” Gavin concurred.

“Me too.” Another voice chimed in.

“My mobile phone says there’s no service!”

“I can’t access the internet on my phone.”

“I can’t access the internet on my PDA.”

“The last thing I heard on the radio before it went down? Was that the enemy was targeting US satellites and communication relays, to try to stop the guidance systems on the US missiles.”

“And also to stop US tracking systems so if they came to invade us? Then we wouldn’t see them coming.”

I cried harder as I clung to Dad’s wet shirt, as everything seemed to go from bad to worse!

“OK people.” Grandfather put up his hands to catch everybody’s attention. “We are NOT going to get invaded!”

The hall quietened down to hear one of their Tribal Elder’s, who was also in the pack, speak.

“The Lokoti will be safe.” Grandfather declared loudly. “We saw this day coming. We are prepared. We have enough provisions to keep us fed and looked after for the next three decades. We have greenhouses to grow our own fruit and vegetables. The Huntington’s and the Lightfoot’s have said that their cows can now provide milk for the entire tribe. We can hunt for meat in the surrounding National Park. This is our land and nobody will be taking it away from us. Your pack would not allow it.”

Uncle Wisetail, who was Hunter’s grandfather who was also among the pack, agreed.

“Flint Riverclaw is right. We knew this day was coming and we are prepared for it. We can live independently from the outside world. The pack have decided that we will begin to patrol the borders of the tribal land and the National Park to keep out Strangers. We will put up signs warning that this is our land and it is protected. We will not be invaded, we promise you.”

(CAUTION HARD HATS REQUIRED - CHAPTER CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
© Copyright 2011 onaya3 (onaya3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1772713-Ardor--Redolence-Chapter-17