*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1773731-Darelorn
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1773731
a monster terrorizes a city
The time was coming close. The great town of Atruaph was going to be attacked, and destroyed. Everyone knew it, but there was nothing that could be done. Every year, a creature shrouded in darkness, named Darelorn, destroyed Atruaph with fire. It carried with it a harp that put all who heard it to sleep. No one could destroy the supernatural creature even if they wanted to. On the day before the attack, because the creature always attacked at night, a traveling warrior named Tome was passing through. The warrior was very muscular. He had short brown hair, a light beard, gray eyes, and carried an ordinary long sword with him. He wore medium leather armor, but without a helmet.

When he heard of the mighty town’s need for salvation, he offered his help to the king. The king and his knights all laughed, for they were some of the most fearsome in all the lands, and even they couldn’t stand against Darelorn. However, the king decided to humor the traveler, and agreed, on one condition. If Tome lost, he would have to rebuild the entire town himself, or pay for it with his own money, but if he won, he could have anything he wanted in the entire kingdom. Tome thought about it a second, but readily agreed.

The day passed slow, but as soon as the sun was no longer in the sky an ominous music passed through the town. Outside, climbing out of a cliff was Darelorn playing it’s lute. It was shrouded in pure clack mist, and moved towards the town. Tome saw the king’s knights get drowsy, and knew his battle was approaching. The reason the haunting melody didn’t affect Tome is because he was almost completely deaf, and so he had learned to read lips.

Tome hurried outside, and went to the wall to confront Darelorn. He saw the dark shadow slowly approaching the town, and jumped down to meet it. He rushed the creature which did nothing. It must have been surprised to see someone awake during it’s song. When he was close enough, Tome swung his sword towards the creature. Realizing what was going on, Darelorn Shot out fire from it’s mouth, piercing through the dark shroud and towards Tome, who in turn tried to move out of the way. For a split second, Tome saw within the shroud. Darelorn had a human face, but no eyes. It’s nose was sharp like a beak, and it’s teeth jagged and disfigured. It even had thick hair on it’s head, and the beginnings of a beard.

Tome’s sword grazed Darelorn, and white goop dripped onto the ground. Darelorn’s fire singed Tome’s hair, and burned his left shoulder at the top. It hurt very much, but Tome fought on. He kept swinging his sword again and again at Darelorn. It tried to keep shooting fire, but the cuts kept coming, and it could not focus. Distraught, and afraid for it’s life, Darelorn tried to flee back for the hill. But, Tome was too fast, he caught up to it, and pierced his sword straight into the black shroud, and stabbed Darelorn’s stomach clean through. With a cry of anguish, Darelorn let out a mighty fire up towards the sky, illuminating all the lands.

Eventually the fire subsided, and Darelorn went limp as the shroud dissipated around it. Tome lifted his sword high, and sliced off Darelorn’s head. He then walked back into town, and tossed the severed skull to the sleeping king. The king awoke with a start as the head hit his lap. He was amazed that Tome could do this, and asked him what he wanted.

Tome answered bluntly, “Nothing, nothing at all.” Then Tome left, and went on to the next town to see who he could help.

© Copyright 2011 A Shattered Heart (heavensmaster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1773731-Darelorn