*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774065-Its-the-Right-Thing-to-Do
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1774065
Entry for the May Dialogue 500
"Look at her, reading big books during recess. I bet she thinks she's better than us cause she's so smart." ("Pig tails are so first grade." "Look at her glasses!" "They are huge!") "Awww, look! She's crying now!" ("The wittle cwy baby!" "Go on now, run off to teacher, Teacher's Pet!")

"Knock it off, you guys."

"Oh yeah, Cory? You gonna do something about it?"

"I don't have to, Greg. Ms. Pinkerton is looking pretty mad, and she's headed this way."

"Come on, Greg. I don't want to get in trouble again."

"Fine. This isn't the last you've heard from me, Cory Baxter. See you on the bus ride home, Alicia!"

"Not if I can help it..."

"... Are you alright?"

"I guess so... Why'd you do that?"

"Do what?"

"You stood up to a fourth grader, and for me."

"Oh, I guess it was because it was the right thing to do."

~~~~~~

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

"I'm not going to fight you, Greg!"

"Fine, then this will be easy!"

"Cory!"

"I'm fine, Alicia."

"Everyone go, quick! Mr. Foley is coming!"

"What happened here?"

"Sorry, Mr. Foley. I know the school's policy for fighting. I-"

"He was only helping me! I asked Greg Patterson to leave me alone, and he grabbed my arm-"

"-So I shoved him and told him to lay off."

"Well, thank you for being honest with me. I'll let you off with a warning this time. Don't let me see it happen again."

"Yes, Mr. Foley."

"...You could have gotten suspended! What were you thinking?"

"I was thinking he was hurting you. I was thinking it was the right thing to do."

"Well, he certainly hurt you. You should have the nurse check out that shiner."

~~~~~~

"Hold him steady, boys!"

"Ugh!"

"Hey! Get away from him!"

"Oh, and what are you going to do about it, miss?"

"I- I've taken three different self defense classes, and have Campus Security on speed dial!"

"Yeah, right."

"Try me."

"-licia...?"

"Cory! Are you alright?"

"Haven't... seen you... since middle school."

"Yeah, the black eye. I remember that. Right before I moved."

"You... could have... been killed..."

"Well, it seemed like the right thing to do."

~~~~~~

"When I went into law enforcement, I knew the risks of the job. When I said I would testify against Will Lawrence, I knew the risks, but no one said my family was fair game."

"They're not. Don't worry. We'll find them."

~~~~~~

"Wait for my signal..."

"Shots fired! I repeat! Shots fired!"

"FBI! Drop the gun! ... Don't even think about it. Drop it! Now!... Hands above your head! Get down on the ground!"

"Mommy!"

"Jessica! It's okay now. You are safe. I've got you, and no one is going to hurt you. Now where's Daddy?"

"Get the paramedics in here!"

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, Cory. I should have never have put you or Jessica in this danger."

"Alicia, darling... testifying... is-"

"-the right thing to do. I know, but so is protecting our family."
© Copyright 2011 D.G. Weber (dgweber at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774065-Its-the-Right-Thing-to-Do