*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774100-Freedom-to-extinguish-evil
Rated: 13+ · Other · Thriller/Suspense · #1774100
Togethey they fight evil and protect freedom.

The American flag was flying proud and strong in the wind as Brian drove past in his 1995 Black Jeep Cherokee.  The rest of the team looked on from the vehicle in silent dignity as they went by.  It receded into the darkness while the silence consumed the interior of the vehicle.  All five of Brian’s friends were with him as they were every time.  There was Ricky, a Hispanic immigrant who worked as a construction worker in the day time in downtown on high rise projects since he was discharged.  Lenny sat next to him as stoic as the rest with his bald head and soul patch he liked so much.  Next to Brian in the front seat was Patrick, his best friend since they were 6 years old.  At times the others could swear they could read each other’s minds.  In the very back seat was Randy, a monstrously large black man with arms the size of oak trees.    Lastly next to Randy was Frank.  He appeared a tiny computer geek but he was as deadly as the rest!

They all knew what was to happen tonight as had happened so many nights before.  All the windows were up and all the gear was ready for when they arrived.  Total silence was understood and from this point only hand signals and gestures would be used.  They entered a narrow dirt road covered in a sleepy hollow.  There was no light at all but none of the team needed it and all had excellent night vision even sans goggles.  Brian slowed to about 10 mph after a few minutes and then almost to a crawl.  Patrick’s arm shot up and Brian stopped the Jeep in the roadway.  The whole team peered out the right side of the vehicle and saw the marker. 

Brian pulled the Jeep off the roadway into a very narrow pathway where it would fit just right.  Only a few inches of clearance remained on either side till he stopped totally.  All doors opened and the team got out and began gearing up.  Camouflage was applied where necessary and all Night vision goggles were put into place. He gave the signal for Frank to take point as always and Frank darted into the woods ahead not making a sound.  The rest of the team followed in standard formation with Patrick taking the rear.  The forest was quiet as death and the atmosphere was one of resolution.  This was a place most feared to tread usually due to the utter black encompassing it.  The ancient oak trees blocked out even the faintest moonlight. 

Brian’s thoughts briefly went back to the day.  The whole team trained together in the service and served on many missions together.  Patrick and Brian had proven to be so efficient that they had served their whole career together.  When it came time to depart the service they both agreed that freedom was to precious a thing to not use the skills they had been given by this great country to continue to further the cause of personal liberty and freedom as they had their whole career.  Neither one of them nor the rest of the team enjoyed killing but accepted it as a necessary evil to protect our freedoms we all enjoy.  They hooked up with the rest of the team a year after they had departed and formed what they were today.  They weren’t soldiers for hire but fighters for freedom.  They alone chose the evil to combat according to their moral code.

The team continued along a pre designated path they had rehearsed countless times already.  It was two miles to the target which they would cover in 20 minutes due to the stealth that was necessary.  The world was bathed in an eerie green but was crystal clear.  The first indication of the target was a lone confederate flag standing guard along the barely visible trail.  Brian and Patrick gave it its due acknowledgement along with the rest of the team as they passed. 

The camp was surrounded on all sides by a large embankment that virtually blocked all sight of the gathering area.  The sentries on the perimeter were efficient and silently dispatched and bodies hidden as they made their way into the interior of the camp unseen. Their target was the leader Emmanuel Shelton.  He was notoriously recruiting from high schools and colleges and was known for his ruthlessness and cruelty. 

They silently stopped and Brian reached into his rucksack and pulled out the white material.  He slipped on large billowy robe over his gear and then placed his hood over his head.  Staggered they entered the camp one at a time and rendezvoused at the target location. The white robes obscured their gear and the hoods their identities. The team listened to an unknown orator give a rousing speech about the evil of anyone that wasn’t white basically.  The same rhetoric they had heard time and time again.
Brian saw the target enter a large fifth wheel near the perimeter and signaled the team.  They made their way over and surrounded the trailer.  Brian breached the door and Patrick went in with him.  Emmanuel was naked on top of a black female teenager who was tied to his bed.  As he jumped off of her in surprise, Patrick and Brian both simultaneously shot him once in the head. The 10 inch knife dropped from his dead hands silently onto a cushion.  Freeing the female and giving her a sheet to cover with they exited the trailer and moved off silently to exit the camp. Patrick carried the girl in his arms and as they departed Frank tossed a flare at the accelerant they had prepared on the trailer and it burst into flames.  The screams of surprise could be heard echoing weakly as they made their way back to their vehicle with another job done.


Word Count = 988
© Copyright 2011 Supermonkey (jbhammer9370 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774100-Freedom-to-extinguish-evil