*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774882-Island
by spanna
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #1774882
a descriptive piece of writing, about a girl trapped on an deserted island.
Shades of turquoise and blue warm water, lapping against the shore, which defines the reef and contrasts vividly with the 5km of soft white sand and tropical plants. The sun was baking me, like an oven, alive, and my thoughts muddled. The cliffs looked like marble, pressed smoothly by the sea onto a small stone that was now a great cliff, hanging over the waves.  The palm trees swayed in the gentle breeze that blew in from the northern coast.
          In a flash, my memories came back. The plane. The storm. The falling. My head turned sharply in search for survivors. But my gaze fell upon nothing. Tears brimmed in my eyes, but I held them back with all my might. Pushing my thoughts to the back of my head, I concentrated on the matters at hand. I took another look around; instead I tasted the salt in the air and plaque on my teeth, pushing back the vines, leafs and cobwebs, I stumbled into the forest and stopped short , when I saw well . . . everything.
      The air smelt fresh with a hint of spice, fruit hung delicately off the branches, ripe bananas of all colours. Green, red, purple. And berries! Ruby red that glistens as the sun shined, Faintly, I heard a trickle of water in the distance, so I grabbed a handful of berries I recognised, and yanked a vine that went so high into the tree tops that I couldn’t see the end, and it down with a thud on the dry grass, as an army of ants scatted in all directions. I snatched the vine, and dragged it behind me, as I walked into the unknown towards the sound.
            My mouth dry and my heart pounding I trotted faster, not giving up. And when I thought, I’d been dragging the vine everywhere with me and I’d lost the meadow with the fruit, I followed my feet through one more shadow, that held another mystery.
      I gasped at the waterfall, coming out of the rocks as a spring , and pattering on the smooth shiny rocks which were laid out in a circle as if they were a pond. The clear liquid stared up at me, as I looked at a girl in wet rags, tangled hair, and sand and mud stuck to her, I whipped round to confront her, but she was gone, I turned back to the water, and with a start, I realised that, that scruffy girl was me.
    The cuts on my hands had stained dry blood all over, my nails were chipped and ragged. I was a mess. I reached down and picked up a cracked coconut shell, all the milk was drained, and I started to brush the dirt off. It fell of as easily as a coconut fell off a tree. Bending over the pool of water, I dipped the shell gently into it, and watches the ripples scatter as I faded from the water. Lifting the cup to my cut, dry lips, I gulped the water down my throat, and I felt it run smoothly into my stomach. As the sun disappeared behind the trees, I realised that I was scared.
© Copyright 2011 spanna (soulspeaker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774882-Island