*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1775124-Caralocia-Chapter-2-The-Apotinian-War
Rated: ASR · Other · Fantasy · #1775124
Chapter 2 of Caralocia. Will be changing mistakes. Tell me how you like it!
Chapter 2: The Apotinian War

         Betrayal has always been a common theme throughout Caralocian history. This tale tells us of the Apotinian, a clan of betrayers that rose amongst the ranks of the five holy clans, war. The war is centered in the area of Caralocia known as The Isle of Dragons. Caralocia (the city) is the capitol city of the Caralocian order, thus the leaders of the five holy clans were the generals of this battle. The leaders, in Caralocian history, have always fought with their men in every battle. This war is a cultural war; meaning that it is fought with non-modernized weapons, the medieval styled weapons forged by the Caralocian people. This marks the start of Acorni’s odyssey.

         Fog now covered the battlefield that resembled the wasteland I had once battled when I was young. I was the last surviving soldier of my army. Looking behind me, I saw the bodies that littered the earth. They all seemed to have the same look on them, impaled and slaughtered… fresh blood spilling out of them and meeting the ground. I faced forward, there I saw the men who had slaughtered my people like animals. They looked at me with thoughts of wanting to destroy me and take my head as a trophy to their bravery. I sighed and picked up Acoron that lay on the ground. I felt many feelings, anger, sadness, courage, but most of all the fury of my fallen brothers. I rose my head, facing the sky, in defiance of the brutes that stood before me. I bellowed in anger, a war cry so loud that it seemed to cut the air like butter. I looked onward at the brutes again, they were still unmoved by the fury I felt. In a matter of moments, I charged at the enemy, catching them off guard, and slashed my way through dozens of them. However, my victory was short lived as they now surrounded me. I began to be cut open by the swings that I couldn’t block.
The earth, my element, rose up and cloned itself in the form of myself. It attempted to push the Apotins away from me, but they proved too strong for only a handful of earth clones. The earth clones were killed as soon as they rose, the earth’s plan failed. I fought tooth and nail trying to fight them back; however, I was too weak for an army of men. I collapsed from pain, and Acoron impaled the earth. Acoron’s spirit sensed my trouble and made a stone dome around me. His spirit appeared before me once more. Once again, his spirit looked at me with pride in his eyes. I gathered what little strength I had left and bowed my head. His hand grabbed my shoulder, and I looked up in acknowledgement; he was smiling as he began to invisibly write the mark of hope on my forehead. With this mark enshrined on my forehead now, I rose to challenge the army of men once more. The stone dome diminished and I picked up Acoron, which now glowed like a sapphire blue fire that seemed to surround the sword.
One Apotin charged at me, he was met with Acoron slicing him easily in half. The brutes seemed to be scared now, due most likely to the effortless kill I just achieved. They took one step back, all I needed, and I charged at them destroying a small chunk of their forces. The newer soldiers of the Apotinian army sensed my power and rage and began to flee. I laughed at their foolishness and had the earth rise and kill them before they could spread word of my soon to be achieved victory. However, the veterans of their brutish army seemed to smile awkwardly, I could not understand why. In a moment I soon realized, a large muscular man stomped his way towards me. He held a large bastard sword that had dents and battle scars running throughout the blade, the sword and the man were like twins. I knew him, back before the rebellion, his name was Wanari (Wind Brute). His loud voice pierced the air as he spoke, “Hello, Acorni! It’s been awhile!”
“Aye, Wanari! It has been too long! Perhaps you should surrender so that you can live and we can make up for lost time,” I said with a stupid smile on my face. In somewhat of a rage Wanari slashed his sword at me. I quickly parried and counter-attacked, slashing a gap in his silver tattooed chest-plate. The tattoo he had on the center of the chest-plate, which was a hawk to represent revenge, was now cut into two separate pieces. Blood started to flow out of him, however, he still came at me wildly. His attacks were easy to predict as I parried them.
“Enough!” He screamed, “Now you shall feel my true rage and the dark shall overcome you!” He pulled out a dark crystal that seemed to radiate its evil, poisoning the air around it. When he held up the crystal it vanished into his hand, and soon his whole body was nothing but black. He laughed as he drew up his sword once more and struck at me. The strength he took my breath away, and with each strike that I parried I thought Acoron would break in half from pressure. “Scared, Acorni? Does the great leader of the Acor really have the emotion fear in him?” he interrogated, smiling more with each swing he took. Eventually, his power became too great, even for the holy blade Acoron. Eventually, he knocked me over with the hilt of his blade and prepared to finish me off. His blade inched closer and closer, and time seemed to slow as he made the final move.
My mouth seemed to move, but the words that came out were not mine, “Pathetic, Acorni…. You can’t even kill a weakling like him? I feel ashamed to have been sealed away by you.” Grey fox ears came out of the top of my head and a grey fox tail grew out of my tailbone. My eyes turned from emerald green to sapphire blue. Nacor was now in control of my body. Nacor rolled out of the way, got up swiftly, and kicked him pushing him back. That gave Nacor enough time to gather up Acoron, and upon the touch of Nacor, changed its appearance to a more brutal looking version of the sword. He swung Acoron mercilessly, aiming for all the open gaps in his armor. Wanari could barely block any of Nacor’s attacks, and watched helplessly as his body was torn limb from limb. Wanari, in a matter of seconds, lay on the ground now. Slain. Nacor picked up Wanari’s mangled body and held it in front of the rest of the enemy’s remaining men that remained on the battlefield. They were stunned that their strongest combatant was slain in mere minutes, his sword broken into thousands of fragments. One of them began to run, and soon they all did. Retreating for their lives, they were cut down by the earth that now attacked them. “Do you see, Acorni?” Nacor laughed, “This is how you win a war.”
“Through brute violence?” I commented, “You’re no better than them….”
“Hey, can’t beat ‘em join ‘em!” Nacor laughed hysterically. He receded back into his seal, still laughing. I was back in my original state as began my walk back to our camp.

        Back at camp the air seemed to be filled with despair. It seems that the other battles turned out the same as mine. Many men that were either injured or dead littered the ground around camp. Healers ran around the camp from one body to the other attempting to save as many people as they could. One healer accidentally bumped into me on accident. He didn't even turn around and see who he bumped into. “So, the Apotinians aren’t a force to be reckoned with…” Nacor whispered in my head, “most likely due to that shadow that empowered Wanari It must be empowering the whole enemy clan, by the looks of things.”
“Agreed,” I spoke to Nacor in my mind, “looks like we will have to keep an eye on that little power of theirs….” I stepped inside the leaders’ tent, where there were two generals already in an argument going on about what we should be doing now.
“What we should do is attempt to flank them with all of our forces. That way we can take out their forces in one blow!” the first general, a stout man with bleach blonde hair, exclaimed.
“Did you see what happened to the last attempts we have done, or are you that blind? Our men litter our encampment due to what you just recently tried!” the second general, a tall muscular man with black hair, shouted back.
“Huh, I didn’t know that our generals were actually five year olds bickering over whose plan was better. Come now act like real Caralocians and stay calm…” I attempted to calm the fight down.
“And who are you to say- oh! Acorni, excuse my rudeness! I didn’t mean to-“ the first general tried to explain, embarrassed.
“Save it, we have battle plans to discuss.” I interrupted.
The second general began laughing at the first’s embarrassment, “Well then, shall we Acorni?”
“Yes… well then, it seems that we are failing to destroy them due to the fact that they have a little ace up their sleeves. Something called the shadow is empowering them, making them much stronger than us. However, I did like the plan of us flanking them with all of our forces. We should at least be able to deal a great deal of damage to them without losing most of our men,” I explained my plan, agreeing with the first general’s plan.
“I see I have no choice then. Please Acorni, tell me you know what you are doing….” The second general pleaded. I stared at him for a second not answering. He sighed, “Fine then. When shall we strike them?”
I looked back at the first general, “Two days from now. Let our men get their much needed rest. I advise you do the same.” I left the tent. I glanced around the hastily made camp as I walked back to my sleeping tent, and couldn’t help but notice the good vibe going around camp, despite the losses we received. Men were playing cards, laughing, and dancing to music. One man, who was playing cards with his friends even invited me cheerily to play with them. I returned to my tent when the sky was dark with a sliver of orange light on the horizon. I quickly fell onto my cot and looked up at the brown linen that made the roof. Images of the previous battle seemed to be acting itself out on the ceiling. Not wanting to remember what happened I sat up, taking my eyes away from the tragic scene that was displaying itself. I put my face in my hands, grumbling about how bad the battle went.
Nacor laughed, “I wouldn’t be grieving about your men; however, how poorly you performed during that battle. I mean it was only one shadow-powered man that you had to deal with. Did you not defeat me the time I was powered by that very darkness?”
“Shut up, Nacor!” I barked, “I have had enough of what has happened to us today….” I stood up and walked toward the dinner that was delivered to my tent. Nacor came out of the seal and settled on the cot. “Also, should you even be outside of the seal?” I said to him as I glanced at him.
“Yes, I should be. You don’t give me enough time to stretch out now and again. Do you know how cramped it is in there?” Nacor remarked slyly.
“Yes of course Master Nacor. Now tell me,” I got serious now, “what was that presence that powered Wanari?”
Nacor looked at me long and hard before answering, “The shadow…. Not even I know what the true presence is…. Revenge perhaps? At least that was the feeling that corrupted me. I can’t really explain the presence to a person who hasn’t felt it…. Sorry.”
“No, it’s fine. However, do you know how a crystal could be formed from the shadow?” I questioned earnestly.
“Hell if I know. However, I would watch out for it in the future. It might even corrupt one of us or our closest allies…. But then again, I will be with you to save you in case you screw up again,” Nacor laughed at his previous comment.
“Very funny, glad to see you are so serious right now,” I muttered.
Nacor smiled casually, “I know right. But, I am serious about what I said, we must be cautious ;for if Wanari was able to be that easily corrupted by the shadow someone else is bound to already be corrupted in our midst.
“Yes, yes, I know. This happens all the time in Caralocia, after all….” I mumbled. Night soon fell upon our camp, and thankfully with night not the Apotinians.

         The crimson sun rose at dawn, my men were sparing, even though I clearly told them to rest. Nacor was out with the men giving them sparring and giving them tips on how to “not die” as Nacor put it. I came out of my tent and saw Nacor easily blocking the attacks of his sparer. Nacor appeared to be taunting him, which made him swing his sword much more wildly. Nacor took the opportunity he made and dodge the attack that came at him. Swiftly, he went behind his target and leapt on him, pushing him into a passive position. “Come now is how you act on the battlefield?” Nacor barked viciously, “You would be dead ten times over with that kind of poise!”
         “But sir!” The young solider, Nacor was sparing with, said.
         “I don’t give a care what the hell you have to say. Plenty of men have died from acting like that in this war. If your opponent is taunting you keep your cool, or else he’ll find your weak point and obliterate you!” Nacor scolded.
         “Yes sir, I’m sorry…” The soldier muttered, clearly embarrassed.
         “Come Nacor, give him a break. He is still young and has much to learn.” I told Nacor.
         “Okay, so you want me to go easy on a person while we are at war. Alright, next time I see my enemy I’ll make sure I go easy on him,” Nacor said sarcastically.
         “Don’t you always act like that out on the battlefield?” I shot back.
         “Very funny, Acorni,” Nacor retorted, “Well, if you’re acting so high and mighty how about you spar with him…”
         The solider pleaded happily, ”Would you, Lord Acorni? Please?”
         “Sorry, but you’ll have to excuse Nacor and I. Battlefield planning… unless you want to stay and train with him some more Nacor?” I apologized.
         “I have nothing better to do, I guess. You go to the boring meetings, as for me I’ll train with this kid some more.” Nacor motioned for me to go to the meeting scheduled today. As I walked past the rows of tents that seemed to stretch onward in to the infinite horizon, I thought of Acoron and the aura that came from it the last fight. To my right, in the distance, appeared a lake by tall, resilient-looking trees. The lake seemed to have the same aura that came from Acoron, it seemed to be calling me, pushing me towards it. I walked over to the lake, searching for the presence that was calling me. Nacor was glowing the same glow from the fight. I unsheathed the blade and held it outstretched. The water of the lake rose to touch the blade; as did the earth and mud. Acoron’s spririt appeared once more in front of me, again staring at me.
         “Hello, master. What do you call me for? I wish only to serve you and your cause,” I greeted. His face remained unchanged, as if he were a statue.
         He answered after a few minutes, “The moon shall cover two worlds, and with its shadow the worlds shall seem destroyed. The light shall shine as hope is lost; however, the light is small and fading. The water shall dry up. The earth shall be crushed. The wind shall falter. The fire shall die down. Nature herself shall remain unchanged; standing there in her grand beauty, alone, for her brothers and sisters have long since left.”
         “What do you speak of master? I know not of it,” I asked earnestly.
         “The message has been received my son. I cannot do anymore, but be with you in the sword I crafted,” Acoron spoke shadily. He waled over from the middle of the lake and, with the elements of the lake, touched the blade. As his spirit disappeared, the elements curled around the sword like a snake on its prey. The elements seemed to meld with it granting it great power. The head of the blade seemed to curve like the cresent moon, and a stone with the symbol of hope on it appeared to be hovering by the middle of the holy blade attracted as if a magnet. Acoron’s voice sounded in my head once more, “Return!” Sounds of fighting echoed through the air, carrying the letter of battle to my ears. I bolted back towards camp with Acoron at my side. Half of the camp appeared burned, lifeless. Corpses of my men appeared littered throughout the camp. The image of my previous battle flashed in my mind.  I gripped my head in agony; however, a poisonous arrow grazed past my chest, almost impaling my body. I swiftly glanced up and noticed the archer. I ran in a zig-zag pattern so I could not be easily fired upon. I came up to him and in one swipe his armor and body lie in two.
         Nacor’s voice vibrated through the air,”Come then, face the strength of the renewed light!” It came from where my tent was set up. I was at that side of the camp in what seemed mere seconds. Nacor was fighting more than a dozen Apotinians, each seemed correctly being in synchronization with each other’s attacks. Nacor, however, was to swift for them and effortlessly killed half a dozen of them in moments. Whoever Nacor didn’t kill, I destroyed for him. “Thank you, Acorni. As you clearly see, we were ambushed not minutes ago. Some groups of soliders and I have been protecting the others while we make a swift retreat to the next camp,” Nacor announced.
“Alright, how many survived?” I asked as I parried two swords.
“Not many, Acorni. They came to fast for us to mount a defensive position against them.” Nacor said as he slit a Apotinian’s neck with his razor sharp claws.
“One more thing, whose camp are we going to next?”
“Flembaro’s. (The Fire Overlord, who is the leader of the flame.)”
“Understood!”
         The fight raged on as behind us the remaining groups of Nacor’s men defended our flank valiantly. Nacor and I were pushing the attackers back one Apotinian at a time.
© Copyright 2011 Eric Dehlin (daylin560 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1775124-Caralocia-Chapter-2-The-Apotinian-War