*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776541-Hunting-the-Haunted
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Dark · #1776541
And you say that you feel good when you sleep huh?
Chan is a typical child, with no distinct talents except being extraordinarily genius. With an IQ of 445, he was able to pass all exams for grade acceleration. However, he did not choose to advance for he believed that "every piece of grain makes a plate of rice." During his elementary days, he was awarded of different certificates of recognition and medals of excellence especially in the field of Science and Mathematics. Besides being a very smart child, Chan at the age of seven had a very rare ability.

Ever since, some say that Chan has a syndrome or a disorder, others a gift, but whether how they call it, it doesn't matter to Chan. He is aware of his 'Warlock Syndrome' but doesn't fear it though its name suggests. This case was first discussed by Artemis Shuccase in his book "When We Close Our Eyes." He said that anyone who has this disorder will experience very clear dreams may it be a nightmare or a good dream. Further explained, "He will be able to remember everything that happened and after two days it will happen in real life." Artemis was accused of being a hypocrite because he wasn't able to provide evidences. One of his proofs was his daughter who had this syndrome. But she was killed in the trial.

The story foretells that at the age of nine, Maine, his daughter, started to dream of wars and immediately happened. However, she seldom dreamt. Artemis therefore concluded that anyone who has this syndrome rarely dreams. But it is assured that whenever they dream, it comes true. One night, while Artemis was in the midst of his research on his child's case, his daughter woke up, crying. The girl said that she will be dying because of an accident. Artemis laughed aloud for they are rich, have a lot of body guards, dogs and alarms. While comforting Maine, the wind blew hard and Artemis lost his paper works about Warlock Syndrome.

After two days, three eremites came to Artemis' house accusing him of his unbelievable researches. The paper works that were blown by the wind, unbeknown to him, accidently reached the palace and were read by the royalties. Without any word, he was taken for a trial and he didn't know that this was his final day too. The palace decided to get rid of Artemis for his follies about Warlock Syndrome. What infuriated the palace much more was that the people believed his works (though it was really true) and the townsmen were in huge turmoil. Many people liked it because of a touch of mystery and logic. After an hour, they reached the palace. Artemis saw wicked assassins and a gunman.

"Fire!" said the Queen and King blandly.

However, the gun slipped down and fired to Maine leading to immediate death. This was the dream of his daughter that "she will die because of an accident."

Time long past and this story was preserved by historians. Some critiques say that it was another myth for they reason out that "How come they have alarms?" No one was able to explain the story of Artemis and his daughter. What was left was his book and that explains Chan's case. As estimated, for every seven billion people, there will only be one with Warlock Syndrome.

Chan begun to dream when he was five and it was "He will go to school." As obvious as it is, he went school. And it took him almost 10 years to dream again. Chan always topped at his class. All of his exams were almost perfect. Nobody tried to compete with him for he was feared by everybody. Grade V, he questioned his teacher while discussing about the solar system.

"The earth is a good place to live in, we can breathe here and eat here," the teacher said.

Chan stood up and said, "This is not a good place to live in."

"And why?"

"Can I eat here?"

"Inside the room when we have a class? Definitely not."

"Then definitely, this is not a place to live in, teacher."

"I am talking to the earth as a home and a place to live in, Chan."

"Can I breathe in Earth, Ma'am?"

"Yes."

"Can I study?"

"Of course."

"Can I eat?"

"Definitely."

"So, earth is a home?"

"Certainly."

"Is a school a second home, teacher?"

"Y...Yes."

"Then I can eat here."

Perplexed, the teacher continued discussing the lesson. After a year, Chan graduated as a valedictorian of his class with an outstanding performance. He broke the record of highest average ever attained.

As a high school student, he started to befriend others for he realized his needs of them. Chan, at the age of 12 was already at absolute maturity. He refused to tell his friends his achievements but he confessed his syndrome to the two--Rab and Alex, his best friends. Rab and Alex were of course unconvinced by that time.

Chan came across conventions and he challenged them at every stage. He taught all mediocre he knew believing that this was his moral responsibility. He never aimed for high grades, just lived life. These made him exceptional. Though he tried to hide his excellence, because of his attitudes, he was known again by the school. After some days of battle of wits, he was one of the most popular persons in the school. But never did Chan take this as an advantage. In fact, he felt shy when he was always the center of attraction. In most cases, when one is popular, many people will try to bring them down, but no one has ever tried to bring down Chan. All of the people around him admired him.

His best friends were Rab and Alex. Likewise, the two loved Chan as though he was their elder brother even Chan was five months younger. They became best of friends when their teacher asked a simple question in Physics.

"What is the magnitude of acceleration due to gravity, Rab?" asked the teacher.

"M...m..." Rab stammered.

"Need some help?"

"I've always been needing help Ma'am."

"So, call somebody."

Rab had no idea who was he going to call. Shall it be his seatmate? Shall it be the last student? He was in gigantic dilemma--he doesn't know the names of his mates and he doesn't know their numbers. Screwed up, he said, "My seatmate!"

Chan stood and said, "In the name of Rab, it's 9.8 meter per second squared. 980 cm per second squared. 9.8 times 10 cube millimeter per second squared. 32 feet per second squared."

"Excellent!" said the teacher.

"You're an idiot Rab!" she added.

Shocked, Chan stood again and said, "Ma'am, you don't have the right to tell that."

"And why? I am the teacher, and I know what I am telling."

"You are not. Just like the question you asked earlier."

"Why?"

"What's the point of knowing the magnitude without knowing how it is done?"

"What? It is just because gravity is everywhere and it causes things to fall."

"You are wrong Ma'am! If gravity is everywhere, why are your feet seemed elevated?"

"What?!"

"You act as though you are very good! I hope gravity will drag you down because you're degrading students."

"Gravity is constant! And that idiot will remain stuck on the ground. He will not reach his dream. Why are you defending him?!"

"Ma'am, with due respect, every person thinks that gravity is constant. But it is not. It is falling that is constant. Falling reminds us that we should look to where we were from. And have you ever wondered why gravity is always present here Ma'am?"

"Uhm... Because it is made to be present."

"Definitely wrong! Gravity reminds us that we should not soar high for if we fall; it is just as painful as how we flew. And someday, you will learn Ma'am, that gravity is not constant to those who persevere. But falling will remain constant to those who boast!"

Right after the class, Rab hurried to Chan to thank him.

"A little bit more and she should've been overthrown! Thanks!" Rab exclaimed.

"I just made her discern her false beliefs," Chan retorted.

"Anyway, I owe you a lot. Thank you so much."

"You're welcome. Let's take a break."

Rab and Chan since then, started to become best of friends. Meanwhile, while heading to the canteen, they came across a rabble. They saw one of their classmates fighting a group but they didn't know his name. They chose to help their classmate, but Chan didn't know how to fight, though Rab did. Rab trudged into the middle of the turmoil leaving Chan behind. And Rab took down all the enemies and finally saved him.

"T...Thank you," Alex stammered.

"Not a problem, dude. Who are you by the way?" Rab asked.

"I am Alex."

"Alex, I am Rab and this is Chan. We are classmates."

"Yeah. I have seen your faces. Let's head to the canteen, my stomach is already grumbling."

"Yeah right."

The three became best of friends ever since. Sometimes they go to their mate's house and sleep there without notice. Sometimes, Alex and Rab cut classes as Chan do the passes. It came to a point when one night, the three slept together in a camp and here, Chan was visited by another dream.

"You should leave," the silhouette said.

"Huh? But why? I am enjoying this camp," Chan replied.

"This is for the haunted."

"What?! I can't seem to understand what you are saying. And who are you?"

"I am your memory."

"What?!"

"I am your gate."

"Gate? For what?! I wonder why light malfunctions for a shadow is formed without an opaque object like a human."

"I am your future, the portal of bliss and misfortune."

And the odd appearance suddenly gone when Chan heard of Rab's voice.

"Hand!"

"1:00 in the midnight, everyone is sleeping. Rab,. Please keep quiet," Chan whispered.

"I saw it! A hand of something, like a smoke,"

Alex woke up and intruded, "Guys stop fooling yourselves. Let us sleep... What's that?!"

"What?! Where?!" Rab and Chan exclaimed.

"Just joking."

"What the hell! We'll kill you!"

Sinister silence cut their conversations when Chan requested the two to listen.

"I dreamt again," he started "and this is no joke. The shadow pleaded for us to leave. He said that this is for the haunted," he calmly said.

"Then we should. We will always believe in you."

They left stealthily in the three-day camp. After two days, when everyone was ready for the departure, the skies darkened and the sun was dyed red. This was what Chan dreamt of but he didn't tell his friends though they were saved. Alex and Rab read the newspaper and ran to Chan. The three felt sad about what had happened. In the first place, if Chan said that, "Leave! This is for the haunted," then he should've garnered evil laughs.

"Chan, we owe our lives to you," Rab said.

"Not a problem," Chan answered."

"You two have become a problem!" Alex suddenly came out holding a very sharp knife and immediately pierced Rab's and Chan's body into pieces which led to death. Alex was possessed before leaving the camp.

"Chan! Wake up! Sir is coming," Alex almost shouted.

"Where am I?" Chan asked.

"You took a nap. Didn't you notice?"

"Oh? What a nightmare?!"

"Huh? Nightmare?!"

"No. Nothing."

The professor came inside and then announced something, "In connection with World Environment Day, there will have an activity."

"What sir?" everyone curiously asked.

"A camp in a forest. It's free and everyone is invited."

© Copyright 2011 laughing-stock (metagenesis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776541-Hunting-the-Haunted