*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776611-What-If
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1776611
A Woman is given the chance to change her existence.
The Witch stood watching her. Her haggard old skin cracked and gnarled like the bark of an old oak tree. She hunched over a staff which bore her weight,  cloaked in a drab black shawl. The young woman sat alone in the forest. Her face cold and sodden from the tracks of her tears. At the sound of the approaching Witch she turned her red rimmed eyes to take in the view before her.

When the witch spoke, her voice was tarnished and rough. “Why are you crying?” The young woman sighed, shaking her head as new tears wracked her body, rendering her speechless. “I sense great sorrow in you.” The witch added, walking forwards and joining her amongst the dry leaves.  “Please. Tell me why you cry?”

It was a moment before the woman could speak; her quiet voice wavering with emotion. “I am a horrible person.” She sobbed.

The witch recoiled from her slightly as she took in the woman before her. “But why? Do you steal? Do you hurt people?” The young girl shook her head.

“No.”

“So why do you claim that you are such a horrible person?”

“I am alone.” She replied. Her shaking fingers picking at the hem of her shirt as she struggled to voice what was plaguing her mind. “My family have deserted me. My father disowned me. My sister can’t bear to see me. My mother, she moved away. She never calls, she never writes, she no longer cares whether I am here or not.”

“But families drift apart. That doesn’t make you horrible.” The witch replied.

“I have no friends.” The young woman replied. “My work colleagues only tolerate me. No invite to parties. No one at the end of the phone when I have a bad day, to hold my hand when I cry or to laugh with me when I am happy. No one to share in my achievements. I sometimes wish I had never been born.” She stuttered as fresh sobs ripped from her body. “I have no accomplishments.” The young girl replied. “My life is just mediocre. I own an average house; I am immaterial in my job. No one would miss me. No one would care.”

“Well. What if you could change it?” The witch asked. “I can grant that wish for you.” The witch pulled a small vial of liquid from under her cloak. “Drink this and your wish will be granted. But be warned, as once your wish is granted it can’t be un-done.”

The woman took the vial, and as she studied it in her hands, the witch disappeared. She thought of her lonely life, her family she didn’t speak too any longer. Her work colleagues who walked passed without a single glance in her direction. With shaking hands, she removed the cork and swirled the glistening azure liquid around the glass. With a final sigh, she moved the trembling bottle to her lips....



Word Count 494
© Copyright 2011 Rachel Gallagher (mrs_gally at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776611-What-If