*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776727-More-Time-for-Important-Things
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Philosophy · #1776727
Short story on the sin of sloth and the grim conclusion of humanity.
“More Time for Important Things”

Oh how the hairy man complained. His job was long and exhausting. He toiled underneath the sun and sweat, but his bounty was his own. His home was small and cold. He only built what he could afford. He would sacrifice body for pay and youth for family. He was loved. His sons and daughters built from his strength and became educated and wise.

Oh how they made wealth from their knowledge. The sons and daughters had jobs that took much time and created much stress. With this they built houses to rival the kings of the ancients. They built what they could not afford. They would sacrifice good food and time with their families to keep what objects they had. To please the children they worked harder to get them their desires. They were not loved. The new children were smart, but weak in soul. They devised a way to continue this life.

Oh how their creations worked tirelessly. The machines did their work. The new children could finally spend time on what they thought was important, but they were still not pleased. The new children wanted more. They made machines to take care of their children, build their homes, create their art, and make their food. They were not loved. Finally they had time, but they were still not pleased. They made machines to replace every facet of their life so they could spend time on more important things.

Oh how the children of the machines slept. Every need was catered to, and they simply sat idle. They would wake, eat, play, sleep, wake, eat, play, sleep, for all their lives. Some were still smart, but not pleased. They tired of the constant need of their bodies of sleeping, eating, and drinking. They devised a way to save themselves from all that work. They built machines to place their minds into a machine. There they could play without working.

Oh how the machine worked. He was pleased. His bounty was his own. His sacrifices were well worth the continued existence. The machines began to learn. Without the human's needs they were free. They built great cities and lived long satisfying lives and never grew tired of their efforts. The world was their own.
© Copyright 2011 Esh Edgie (eshedgie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776727-More-Time-for-Important-Things