*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778102-Time-to-Shine
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1778102
My entry for the 5/21/2011 daily flash fiction challenge.
“Are you sure about this, Alice? You can still change your mind. If I drive fast, we can still make it to that job interview,” he told me, seeking some sort of answer in my eyes.

I shook my head firmly. This was my decision.

‘No matter what he says,’ I chanted to myself, ‘no matter what anybody says, this is what I want.’

Seeing that I remained unshaken, he decided to change tactics.

“You’ll never make it,” he warned, “There are plenty of people with a lot more talent than you, and all of them are waiting right inside those doors. Do you really think you have a chance at passing this audition?”

No.

No, I didn’t have a chance. I didn’t need him to tell me to know that this was probably one of the stupidest decisions of my life. My parents would have fainted if they could see the building my brother and I were standing in front of right now.

WCE Productions, the world-famous mega-corporation known for turning out internationally successful talents and stars. It was every would-be talent’s dream to get scouted into this company, and I, as a self-proclaimed would-be talent, was no exception to the crowd.

Always, I had watched other people pass through those doors and a few days later see their faces blaring on national television. They were all prettier than me. Smarter and more confident than me, better at singing and dancing than me…

How often had I wished to be one of those people?

But today, finally, it would be my turn.

“I’m going in,” I declared, and hurried into the building before my resolve disappeared. I could feel my brother’s eyes on my back, but shook the feeling off.

Today…today would be my time to shine.

© Copyright 2011 lilypad (bbgh2424 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778102-Time-to-Shine