*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1779032-The-Forgotten-Story
Rated: E · Other · Folklore · #1779032
The god of sadness thinks he will never find love. And he was right.
In the age when gods still roamed among us on earth and humans were simple, there was a small village tucked in between a mountain and a forest. In that village lived the powerful god of sadness, Triste.

Triste was born sad and lonely, and it was deemed he would be so forever. But forever is a long time and Triste, slowly, over many years, fell in love with the beautiful mortal woman, Oublia. He had known her since she had been born, and he had watched her grown. Now, more than anything, he wanted to make her his partner in heaven.

One day, Triste followed Oublia as she walked to the market alone. When he was sure no one was in sight, he made his grand appearance. He announced that he was, Triste, god of sadness. Oublia smiled, curtsied, and spoke sweetly to Triste. Triste left her, later, in ecstasy.

The next day, Triste waited for her in the same spot. Oublia came, looking surprised when she saw Triste. Hesitantly, she asked who he was. Triste, again, declared his name, knowing how weak the human’s minds were. Oublia smiled, again, curtsied, again, and spoke sweetly to Triste, again. Triste, though, was delighted at the repeated favor, hardly noting the redundancy of it.

It went on like this for several days. Triste began to feel suspicious of Oublia’s behavior. Yes, humans couldn’t retain knowledge very well, but surely, their minds were better than that! Triste decided to follow Oublia and see if there might be another reason for her apparent forgetfulness.

What he saw angered him.

Triste saw Oublia with another man. They were too close.

Triste grew jealous, but he realized he couldn’t step in between their love. The realization was painful, but along with the sad god’s misery came fury and rage.

Triste confronted Oublia. He asked her how she could betray him like that. Oublia frowned, surprised with the accusation. She couldn’t remember who he was. You see, Triste was too great a creature for Oublia to even comprehend, let alone remember. The mortal man, who was always there for her, was easy to remember. It took no brain power. Triste’s love disappeared, and he felt only contempt for the simple-minded creature. He left her.

Oublia and her lover married soon after. Triste attended the wedding, telling no one who he was. He watched, not jealously, but scornfully.

He would have revenge.

When the ceremony was over, the wedded couple received their gifts. Triste went into the line, and gave his gift. Oublia and her husband happily received it, and began to move on to the next person.

Triste asked them to stop. He explained his gift. It was called memories. Now, all of humanity would remember everything they said or did, or anything said or done to them.

The newly wedded couple was excited. Happily, they thanked the god of sadness. Triste bowed to them, making little reaction.

Triste retired to his home. He watched humanity use his gift exuberantly. But slowly, their delight turned to horror as they realized exactly what the gift was.

Memories seem like amazing things. But, along with all the good things you can remember, you can remember all the horrible things. You can remember every cruel thing you’ve said, and every mean thing someone’s done to you.

Triste looked at the unhappy people. All other gods would feel some sort of guilt. But poor, misused Triste watched humanity suffer with a cold heart. He turned away, never to look at the mortal world again.

© Copyright 2011 Izzy White (misshaha at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1779032-The-Forgotten-Story