*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1780506-The-first-Youngblood
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Gypsy
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1780506
Explains how the first Youngblood woman gained her extrordinary abilities.
Yariss sat on the dias and gathered all the children around.  “First of the first, back to the beginning; that is what a Youngblood is.  Let me explain.  The firstborn daughter of the firstborn daughter in each generation, all the way to the beginning of Earth Magic.  So, you ask, what is Earth Magic?  Perhaps this tale will explain.”



         Their boat was getting tossed wildly on the rough sea.  The sky had gone from calm and blue to black and angry in what seemed like seconds.  Wind, rain, thunder, and lightning were everywhere.

         “Kota, the storm is getting worse and we still can not see the shoreline.  Is there not somewhere else we can harbor?”  Worry shone in Tahne’s green eyes. 

         “No love, there is nowhere else.  Nowhere safe anyway.  Bellana’ari is surrounded by reefs, and the mists make them nearly impossible to see on a good day.  The island has been quaking for weeks, ever since the eruption.  We can not risk it.  I will keep you safe.”  The waves crashed over the boat, nearly overturning it.  Kota and Tahne held fast to each other and the railings.  Kota had given up trying to use the tiller, so the wind and waves took them wherever they chose.  Kota had even tried cutting the sails, but the lines were so tangled and the wind so strong, they never furled. 

         “Kota, look!  The waves are glowing, and it leads to land!  Go to the tiller, I will guide you.  It is a sign from the Guardians, I know it!”

         “Tahne...”  She placed her hands on Kota’s chest. 

         “Go.  Do not take this hope from me, please.”  Tahne called directions to her man as the wind sped them closer and closer to the dreaded reefs.  The lights in the waves led them safely through, but the wind had them traveling so fast they ran aground on the inland side of the cove.  Kota was thrown forward, hitting his head on the cabin roof.  Tahne, being on the bow, was thrown into the delta and swept upriver with the tide and storm surge. 

         Tahne, listen well.  The volcano has brought magic to this land.  Life magic from deep inside Mirik.  When you wake you will be at the mouth of a river.  Follow it to the spring.  Take the water to Kota, he lives still.  Make haste...  The voice trailed off as Tahne awoke.  Thinking the voice was part of a delusion she sat up without looking around.  The storm still raged around her.  The sound of rushing water caught her attention.  As she tuned to the left, she saw a river.  Tahne wasted no more time wondering and began running. 

         When she reached the spring, Tahne saw what looked like two large boulders in a fairly large pond.  The pond was very deep and incredibly clear.  From the farthest boulder Tahne could see a fissure that water ran out of.  That must be the spring, but how will I take the water back to Kota?  A stong gust of wind pushed Tahne a step and a waterskin dropped at her feet.  Thank you, Guardians.  Tahne tested the water, it was almost too warm to enter.  Determined to save Kota, Tahne waded in, then swam to the boulder.  It was very oddly shaped, Tahne found she could stand on it while she filled the skin.  She was still waist deep in the water. 

         
“Are you sure this is the only way?”

                    “Yes I’m sure.”
         

                    A bolt of lightning struck the pond, the boulder, and Tahne.  In that instant she and the rest of her line would be changed forever.  The boulder split showing the crystals inside, and ice cold water swirled around Tahne’s feet.  It looked as though the lightning were still trapped inside, she knew it would shine even in the dark.   

         Tahne felt as though she floated above her body in darkness.  As her vision cleared she realized she was before the Guardians themselves.  The fearsome creatures dwarfed her.  They stood as humans do, but all of Tahne could have fit in one of their palms.  Both of them resembled every predator she had ever seen and some she hadn’t.  In one she saw more tiger.  The other was taller, darker, and more sinister somehow.  To Tahne leathery wings brought to mind bats, and the sloughing skin looked like a molting snake.

I am Life. whispered a female’s voice.

I am Death. growled a male’s voice.

We are the Guardians.  They shrank to Tahne’s size. 

We offer you a gift.  This gift will be passed though you to your line. 
         

                      “What have I done to deserve a gift from the Guardians?”  Tahne was afraid to look them in the eyes. 

You are the finest Healer on Variel. You are the one everyone turns to when all hope is lost.  said the tiger-like female.
         

                    “I mean no disrespect, but that still doesn’t answer my question.”

You still hear us in your dreams.  You still listen when we speak, you thank us when we answer you. The others are lost,  the male told her.
 

         “Does this gift have a price?”  Tahne unconciously covered her abdomen.  She looked at the female.  Her eyes were deep emerald green where Tahne’s were white, white it should have had color, and the pupil was shaped like a cat’s.   

Your child is safe, assured the female.  The price is very small. Our gift is this, In addition to what you already know as a Healer we will tell you everything about the healing properties of the plants and creatures of Mirik.  You will be able to harvest the natural energy all around you to aid the body’s healing process.  Use the water that springs from the geode as the base for all your elixers, it will cut the healing time to less than half of what it should be.  Each firstborn daughter of the firstborn daughter will also be a Healer.  Your daughter will remember what you’ve learned, as will hers, forever.  An animal guardian will come to you and continue to teach you. Her name is Kara.  You will be able to speak to her with your mind.  In time you will be able to shift your shape into hers.  Will you accept this gift?
         

                    “Yes.  Does Kota still live?”

You’ve been gone but half a heart beat, save your man. The female smiled, Your eyes are beautiful...
         

                    When Tahne awoke this time, she was on the ship next to Kota with the waterskin full at her side.  She splashed some of the water onto his face to wake him.  The bruised cut on his forehead disappeared.  “Kota wake up! I have so much to tell you...”

         Kota opened his eyes.  “I must be dreaming, your eyes are different.”

         Tahne brushed a lock of hair from his forehead, “Different how?”

         “They’re backwards.”

© Copyright 2011 Gypsy (fudgebrownypie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1780506-The-first-Youngblood