*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782286-The-Costume-Party
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1782286
Arthur didn't really hate costume parties.
Arthur didn't really hate costume parties. He actually liked dressing up; he had even gone as a hobbit last Halloween. Still, it didn’t matter; all the costume parties he had gone to this year were lame. The last one had an particularly awful theme: Under The Sea. What was he supposed to wear? A merman costume?

Arthur let his eyes wander around the room. The host, Gerard, was dressed up as Godzilla, surrounded by guests as he struggled to slice a watermelon. Next was a gaggle of freshmen, dressed as slutty cats with clip on ears and fake tails. Rolling his eyes, Arthur finally spotted someone interesting. It was a gypsy woman sitting by the door, complete with a fake mole and crystal ball under her arm.

Sidling up to her, he grinned when he caught her eye. “Do you tell fortunes?”

She raised an eyebrow at him, then shrugged. “Sit, sit.”

For the next twenty minutes, Arthur sat spellbound as the gypsy told him things from his past only he had ever known. Stunned, he sat up when the gypsy told him he would meet the love of his life tonight. “She’ll come through the door soon,” she said mysteriously.

“Arthur!” It was Gerard, followed by a scream of laughter. “You gotta see this!”

Excusing himself, Arthur made his way to the kitchen, where Gerard was biting into chunks of watermelon. “What is it?”

“I cut this with no hands. Figure out how!”

“Wait, wait.” Arthur looked around for the gypsy, but she was gone. “Who’s your friend, the one dressed as a gypsy?”

Gerard spat out a watermelon seed. “Man, what you talking about?”

“Never mind.” Arthur looked around again, before something else caught his attention that made him forget all about the gypsy.

The door was opening.


THE END
© Copyright 2011 DarkOnFire (darkonfire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782286-The-Costume-Party