*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782830-Beneath-The-Demon-Moon
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1782830
This story is a love triangle / murder based around Norse mythology. Enjoy.
BENEATH THE DEMON MOON

1


Freya turned into a dove and flew through the window of Thor's bedroom. She landed on the carpet at the foot of the bed and turned back into her beautiful goddess self. Thor lay on top of the bed waiting for her. He was naked.
She was dressed in a shimmering white dress with thin gold straps and golden flecks woven into the material. She was bare foot. She peeled off her dress, shook her hair free of the gold ribbons that held it in place and stepped naked towards him.
         
His hungry eyes took in every inch of her slender, irresistible body. She blew him kisses with her plump, wet lips. He felt an intense, hot stirring between his legs. For months he'd been trying to wean himself off her with no success. He turned to liquid in her presence. He wanted to be faithful to his wife, Sif. He knew it was the right thing to do. Sif was a good wife and mother and the sweetest person he knew. She was pretty in a way with a good figure but her face and body were no match to Freya. Who could resist the Goddess of Love?
         
'I told you not to come into my room again' Thor said.
         
Freya knelt at the bottom of the bed and started crawling towards him. 'I know you didn't mean it'.
         
He tried to get out of bed but couldn't move. Her beauty and his desire paralysed him. He'd never been so weak and helpless around a woman before. With her eyes fixed on him she crawled towards him, licking her lips. Her gorgeous breasts rubbed against the thin satin sheets.
         
'Sif is starting to get suspicious' Thor said.
         
She kissed his feet, gently licked and sucked his toes. His eyes rolled in their sockets and he groaned. 'Let her. She's nothing compared to me. She can't hold a candle to me. I'm not threatened'.
         
'I want to work it out with Sif'.
         
She ran her lips up to his knees, kissed the front of both knees and nibbled the back of both knees. 'Then work it out. It doesn't matter to me'.
         
'If I want to make a go of it with her it means we can't see each other anymore'.
         
She kissed the inside of both thighs. 'Don't be silly. She knows nothing about us. Let's keep it that way'.
         
He half-heartedly tried to push her away while wondering when she would stop tormenting him and take him. 'I want you to leave Freya. I mean it this time'.
         
She kissed his stomach and kissed and sucked his belly button. 'No you don't. You want me. Every man does. Even the great god Thor. I am irresistible'.
         
'I can and I will'. Even in his ears the words sounded empty.

She kissed his neck, nibbled his throat, the palms of both hands and the soles of both feet. He groaned.

'Please stop' Thor said.

'Make me. The great god of Thunder can make a woman do anything he wants'.

He did nothing. The truth was he didn't want her to stop. He was weak around her. Weak and pathetic like all the mortal men she'd seduced and destroyed. He wanted her to stop teasing and take him.

She grinned down at him and lucked her luscious lips. 'I knew you'd never stop me'.

She mounted him. He rose to meet her. She rode him like the stallion he was. He felt hot and sweaty and struggled to breathe. Her powerful thighs gripped his legs. Her knees pressed into his ribs. Her feet dug into his trembling flesh. He kissed and sucked her breasts until she was in ecstasy. She kissed his lips until she drew blood. He didn't want their union to end. He only felt alive when he was inside her. No one and nothing else was real.

The window and curtains in the room were lying open. The night sky was a blanket of black velvet sprinkled with silvery glitter. They climaxed together screaming their pleasure into the night. His seed filled her. His arms and chest were covered in scratches and bites. They were both flushed and sweaty. She rolled off him and lay on her side, facing him, taunting him with the sweat that ran down between her breasts.

'I knew you couldn't resist me’ Freya said.

He grinned at her like an infatuated schoolboy. 'You drive me crazy Freya'.

'I drive all men crazy'.

He kissed her. 'I love you'

'I love you too'.

Thor got out of bed and had a shower. The smell of sex and Freya's floral scent clung to his body like a second skin. He sang in the shower. He felt ready to go into battle with the foulest minions of Hel. Freya joined him. They made love again against the back wall of the shower. She bit his shoulder when she came. Afterwards, they washed each other's hair and bodies.

'Sif's away at a war council for a few days. The dark elves and the giants are at each other's throat again' Thor said.

'And?'

'Why don't you stay the night? Maybe even a couple of days?'

She smiled at him. 'I'd love to'. He melted.

They got out of the shower and dried each other. He lifted her in his arms and carried her through to the bedroom. He carefully laid her down in the centre of the bed. He closed the curtains but left the windows open. The cool breeze blowing around the room felt nice. He ordered the house-nymphs to bring him a bottle of his best champagne and two goblets. They drank half the bottle and made love several more times. He fell asleep with her head pressed against his chest.

2


In the middle of the night Freya woke. Thor was fast asleep beside her snoring like an angry bull. He stank of sweat and sex. Her nose curled in disgust. She quickly showered to wash his stink off her skin. She changed back into her dress, threaded the ribbons through her hair, yanked the window open, turned into a dove and flew through the open window. Thor was on his feet and moving to the window as she was flying away. Dressed in casual robes he climbed out the window, jumped, landed softly on the grass and summoned his great chariot driven by two large goats. He climbed into the chariot.
         
'Take me to Freya' Thor said.
         
The chariot rose in the air and flew through the night sky. He could see Freya-dove flying some distance ahead and followed her without getting too close. She couldn't be allowed to see him. They flew away from Asgard, through Midgard, the Land of the Light Elves to the great lake in the Land of the Dark Elves where a root of Yggdrasil, the great world tree rested. Freya-dove landed on the banks of the lake and changed back into a Goddess. Thor's chariot landed silently in a large copse of trees surrounding the lake. He climbed off and quickly, silently followed her. Freya waked along the banks of the lake. She peered up at the night sky and seemed impatient. He silently followed her.
         
A dark shape appeared in the night sky and moved towards her. The shape came into focus. It was Odin, his father, astride his eight-legged horse with his beloved ravens perched on his shoulder. The horse landed in front of Freya. Odin climbed off. His ravens leapt off his shoulders and circled overhead. Freya and Odin embraced and kissed. Thor bristled in anger. They walked arm in arm around the lake. Thor followed them, hidden in the trees.
         
'So you managed to get away from my son?' Odin said.
         
'Yes'.
         
'Does he suspect anything?'
         
'The fool has no idea. He tried to break it off tonight'.
         
'Again?'
         
Freya laughed. The beautiful sound of her voice hurt Thor's heart. 'He can't resist me. No man can. He's butter in my fingers'.
         
Odin grabbed her and passionately kissed her. 'Like me you mean?'

'Exactly'.

Freya giggled. Thor punched the trunk of the tree beside him hard enough to make the tree vibrate. Odin and Freya tilted their heads towards the sound. Thor froze.
         
'What was that?' Freya said.
         
'Just the wind'.
         
'Are you sure?'
         
Odin embraced her and kissed her. 'Yes'.

Freya relaxed. They reached a resting place along the banks of the river with a soft blanket of grass and several tree stumps that served as seats. She walked to the water's edge. Odin stood behind her, slipped his arms around her wait and kissed the back of her neck. Thor burned with hatred.
         
'How long are we going to torment him?' Freya said.
         
'Until he's learned his lesson'.
         
'What lesson would that be?'
         
'Not to go after the prize his father's already won'.
         
Odin slid the straps of her dress down her thin shoulders. The dress fell to the ground revealing her nakedness. She moaned and leaned back against him. Thor clenched his hands into tight fists and stared at them. Odin covered the back of her neck with kisses. Thor's nails dug deep into the flesh of his palms.
         
'You make me go weak at the knees' Freya said.
         
'Of course I do. I am All-Father, ruler of everything around us. Men fear me. Women adore me. You're no exception'.

Odin and Freya passionately kiss. He peeled off his robes and let the, fall to the ground. He slipped his arms around her waist and lifted her into the air like she weighed no more than a feather. She giggled. He gently pressed her back against a tree and penetrated her. She screamed in pleasure. Thor's nail had cut so deeply into the palms of his hands they started bleeding. They kissed and made love against the tree.
         
Stabbing pain in his chest brought Thor to his knees where he was hiding. Tears of rage ran down his face and burned his skin. The sight of their bodies writhing in pleasure was like knives stabbing into his eyes. Their cries of pleasure drove a poisoned blade deep into his heart. He wanted to crawl into the dark and lick his wounds. He was frozen in place unable to tear his eyes away. When they'd finished making love Freya and Odin bathed in the lake.
         
'I need to go' Freya said.
         
'So soon?'
         
'I don't want Thor to take up and find me gone'.
         
'Quite right. That would put an end to our game with him'.
         
Odin and Freya embraced and kissed. Thor ran quickly back to his chariot. He was careful not to make any noise. He moved like lightning through the trees. He rose into the air and vanished into the night before Freya had dressed.
         
He leaned forward and stroked the head of both goats. 'Hurry home. We need to get there before Freya. Move quick as lightning'.
         
Thor's goats sped through the night fast as lightning and almost crashed into the roof of his hall. Thor dismounted. He patted the head of both goats and whispered 'thank you, gentle ones'. He jumped off the roof and climbed back in the bedroom window to wait for Freya.

3


Thor stood at the open window. Moments later he heard the distant flapping of wings. A beautiful white dove flew through the open window and landed on the carpet. The dove transformed into Freya. She jumped in surprise when she saw him.

'What are you doing awake?' Freya asked.

'Where have you been?'

'I couldn't sleep and went for a fly to get some fresh air'.

'Lying whore'. Thor pointed his hammer at her. A bolt of lightning shot from the end, struck her on the face and knocked her backwards. She screamed in pain as she slammed into the wall.

She looked up at him with pleading eyes. 'What are you doing? Have you lost your mind?'

'You were with my father'.

She stood up and walked towards him. 'No I wasn't. Who told you those lies?'

Thor knocked her back against the wall with another bolt of lightning. 'You lying whore... I saw you with my own eyes... You woke me up when you got out of bed.... I followed you... I caught the whole show'.

Freya lay on the floor in a crumpled heap. Her face was badly cut. Blood trickled from both nostrils and leaked from the corners of her mouth. Her skin was deathly pale. Her eyes were filled with tears.

Freya crawled towards him on her hands and knees. She reached one pleading hand towards him. 'It meant nothing.... Nothing... I was teasing him... You're the one I love'.

Thor grabbed her by the throat and lifted her in the air. He squeezed her throat. She struggled in his arms. She scratched his hands and clawed at her throat. Her face gradually turned purple. He shook her in one enormous fist like she was a rag doll. He threw her against the wall. He slammed her with bolts of lightning from the end of his hammer until she was a blooded, crumpled heap on the floor. The walls of the hall trembled. The night sky turned black. Thunder and lightning streaked across the sky.

Leaving Freya broken in the corner Thor walked towards the front door of his hall. He raised his fist in the air and slammed it forward. The massive oak doors exploded open. He stepped out into the raging night. He held his hammer in both fists and raised it high into the air. He screamed in rage. Freya tried to crawl away from the sound of his voice but she was too weak to move. Massive lines of blue lightning erupted from the end of the hammer and shot into the sky. Thunder roared. A black, oppressive rain fell from the sky and covered the nine worlds. Lightning like none seen before erupted from the sky and bombarded the earth and burned it. Hills, mountains and valleys were burnt to a cinder. A small village in Midgard, land of men was burned to a cinder and 500 mortals died. Thor slammed his hammer into the ground. The earth quivered.

'Odin' Thor screamed.

He leapt onto the roof of his hall, climbed aboard his carriage and his beloved goats sped into the night towards Odin's hall. Freya picked herself off the ground. Her wounds started to heal. She turned into a dove and vanished into the night.

4


Thor was waiting for Odin in the dining room of his hall when he returned home.  Odin was surprised to see him standing by the stained glass window, silent and unmoving as stone. 
         
'What's wrong son?' Odin said.
         
'My heart is broken'.
         
'What do you mean?'.
         
Thor turned towards his father.  His eyes were filled with sorrow and hatred.  'The woman I love belongs to another'.
         
Odin took a few steps back. 'I'm sorry to hear that'.
         
'I killed a dragon for her... mounted its head on her wall... bought her all the jewels and gold and flowers she wanted... even told my wife I wanted to leave her... it was all for nothing... Freya loves another'.
         
Odin took a few more steps backward.  'Love can be a funny thing.  It hurts when the object of your affection doesn't return your feelings'.
         
'Do you know something about that?'
         
'My first lover left me for a mortal'.

Thor reached behind his back and unsheathed his great hammer.  He gripped the handle with his right hand. He laughed. 'I never thought a woman would choose you an old man like you over me'.
         
'Did Freya ever claim to love you?'
         
'Every night we were together she told me she loved me. I tried to resist her... to be loyal to Sif but she wormed her way back into my affections'.

'I'm sorry.  I didn't know how you felt about her'.
         
Odin raised his spear and walked towards him.  He looked ready to tear Thor in half.  Thor raised his hammer above his head. 

'Freya is supposed to be with me.  I love her.  You have a lot to learn father.  You’re not fit for such a goddess.  I won't stand for it' Thor said.
         
'I had no idea how you felt about her'.
         
'Would it have made a difference?  Would you love her less?'
         
'No'
         
'Then you will die tonight and Freya will come to my bed'.
         
'That's never going to happen'.
         
Odin raised his spear in the air and screamed to the heavens.  'I Odin, All Father challenge my son Thor, god of thunder to a duel'.
         
'I accept.  Prepare to die old man'.
         
Blue lightning flashed in the sky. The walls of Odin's hall trembled. Odin and Thor face each other and raised their weapons.  Odin pointed his spear at Thor's heart and threw it.  Thor raised his hammer.  Bolts of lightening erupted from it and shot off in different directions.  A bolt struck the spear and knocked it away.  Odin caught it with one hand. Thor raised his hammer high in the air and brought it smashing down into the ground. Cracks appeared on the floor of the hall and spread up the walls. The ceiling collapsed. They rolled out of the way and just avoided being trapped beneath the debris.
         
'Impressive' Odin said 'but not nearly enough.  I am the All Father.  You can't defeat me.  I can raise the dead'.
         
'Who's going to raise you when the life drains out of you?'
         
Thor raised his hammer in the air and ran towards Odin with a scream of rage.  The sky darkened overhead.  Thunder and lightning flashed, struck the hammer and spun out in different directions.  Thor pointed the hammer at Odin and several bolts of lightning streaked towards him.  Odin raised his shield and deflected some of the lightning.  A few struck his arms and lower body.  He cried out in pain and stumbled backwards. 
         
'Not as tough as you look old man' Thor said.
         
Odin stood up, stared up at the black sky and raised his arms high above his head.  'Come to me All Father.  I summon you'.  Two small black specks appeared in the sky and moved quickly towards them. They flew through the hole where the roof had been. The specks were Odin's faithful black ravens.  They went with him everywhere and picked the flesh from the bones of people he killed in battle. 
Odin pointed towards Thor.  'Take the eyes of the betrayer.  My son Thor'.
         
The ravens squawked and flew towards Thor.  They dive bombed him and went straight for his eyes.  Both ravens slashed at his face with their claws as he flapped at them.  One of the ravens moved its head with lightning speed towards his eyes.  Thor caught it with one hand, crushed its wing and broke its neck.  He dropped its broken body onto the ground.  He did the same with the other raven. 
         
'Nice trick.  You'll need to think of something better if you want to beat me' Thor said.
         
'I have a few more up my sleeve'.  Odin raised his hands in the air and slammed both palms together.  He slammed them so hard it made him stagger backwards and caused the earth to tremble.  'I am the All Father.  I command you to take down my enemy Thor.  Smite him in my name'.
         
There was a loud snarling noise from outside the hall.  Odin smiled and laughed.  Thor looked uneasily around him.  He grabbed the handle of his hammer and prepared to raise it.  Two large wolves, one black and the other silver, Odin's pets ran through the open door and headed straight for them, snarling.  Their eyes were black.
         
Odin pointed at Thor.  'Take him'
         
The wolves advanced on Thor.  They snarled, bared their razor-sharp, lethal looking fangs and ran towards him.  Thor took a few steps backward and raised his hammer.  He raised it to sky.  Several bolts of electricity struck it and ran down the handle.  Thor turned the hammer towards the wolves and slammed it forward.  Several bolts of lightning struck each wolf.  They howled in pain and stumbled backwards.  Thor sent another bolt of lightning at each of them.  They fell to the ground, dead and the smell of burning fur hung in the air. 
         
'You killed them.  How dare you?' Odin said.
         
'You need to learn to control your pets'.
         
'I will kill you for this'.
         
'It's the same old story.  All threats and no action'.
         
Thor raised his hammer high above his head and pounded the ground with it.  The force of the blow made the earth tremor and knocked Odin off his feet.  Tiny little cracks appeared on the ground and grew wider and wider until great caverns split open.  Hot lava bubbled up and spread across the ground.  Some of the lava burned Odin who quickly jumped out of the way. 
         
'See if you can do better than that' Thor said.
         
Odin ran towards Thor with a roar.  He turned into a massive black bear with huge paws and poisonous teeth.  Odin-bear snarled and leapt for Thor's throat.  Thor pointed his hammer towards the bear and a bolt of lightning shot from the end and hit the bear between the eyes.  The force knocked it to the other side of the arena. Badly wounded and bleeding from his face and chest Odin-bear turned back into himself. 
He stood shakily up and faced Thor.  'Now it's my turn'.
         
Thor took a bow.  'Show me what else you've got old man'.
         
Odin inserted a bow into his magic arrow and stared at Thor through the cross hair.  He released the bow and it shot straight towards Thor.  He deflected it easily with the hammer.  Odin shot several more arrows at Thor and he used his hammer to deflect them each time.  Odin got angrier and angrier with every arrow he let loose.  Thor laughed and mocked him every time the hammer sends them spiraling to the ground.
         
'Is that all you have old man' Thor said.
         
'I'm not done yet'.
         
'If you're so tough old man let's throw down our weapons and see who has the most strength'.
         
'You're making it too easy'.
         
'Come on then'.
         
Thor and Odin threw down their weapons and ran towards each other roaring.  They slammed their bodies into one another.  The force of the collision made the earth crack open.  More lava spilled onto the floor.  Cracks appeared on the walls of the hall, which started to break apart in chunks. The sky turned black.  Lightning flashed.  Thunder roared. 
         
Odin grabbed Thor and threw him against one of the walls.  Thor crashed to the ground.  The wall collapsed on top of him.  He ended up covered from head to foot in debris.  Odin cried out in triumph.  Thor's arm pushed its way up through the debris and he dragged himself to his feet.  His helmet was dented and his face cut and bruised.
         
Odin threw himself at Thor and landed heavily on his back.  Thor tried to wriggle free but Odin clung on.  He forced Thor to his knees and preceded to punch his face until his hands were sore, knuckles were bruised and Thor's face was bruised and bloody.  Thor knocked Odin away from him.  Odin kicked Thor across the hall and he bounced off another wall that collapsed. He managed to roll out of the way before the debris landed on top of him. 
         
Thor roared and charged at Odin.  They knocked lumps out of each other, smashed each other against the crumbling walls of the hall and pounded each other into the ground.  Neither was willing to back down.  They were equally determined to win the duel.  They were both bloody and bruised and still charged each other snarling.  Odin staggered backwards when Thor slammed into him.
         
'What's wrong old man? Are you getting tired?' Thor said.

'There's still life in met yet'.

'Not much, old man.  You're weakening'.
         
'I'm not quite done yet'.
         
'You will be soon.  You can't equal my strength.  Your body will give in eventually.  I could do this all night and you're slowing down.  I'll stand triumphant with Freya by my side.  You'll be deafened and everyone will remember you for your weaknesses'.
         
'You know nothing Thor.  You are young and stupid.  I could beat you ten times over.  You have a lot to learn before you can take me down'.
         
'You're nothing but a weak old man. You’ll never beat me'.
         
Thor grabbed Odin by the throat and tossed him across the hall like he was a rag-doll.  Odin slammed into the pillar in the centre of the room and slid down the wall like a broken toy.  Two walls groaned and started crumbling. Odin tried to crawl out of the way. He left a large smear of blood behind him.  His face was a bloody ruin.  The walls collapsed on top of him. He was pinned helpless beneath the debris. He lay unmoving on the ground.  Thor moved like lightning towards him with his hammer raised.  He smashed Odin's face with the hammer.  Odin cried out in pain, rolled to the side and lay still. 

'You’re finished old man' Thor said.

Thor turned away from Odin's broken body. He raised his arms in triumph and looks up at the black sky.  Lightning flashed.  'I am Thor.  I have defeated Odin, All Father.  I am the strongest God in Asgard and no one can defeat me'.
Odin's fingers twitched. With one hand he tried to push the rubble from the walls off him but couldn't budge it. He made a final scream of rage and reached towards Thor. His heart stopped. His body turned into hundreds of black insects that rose into the air and spread across the land. The walls of the hall trembled and started to crumble. The corpses of Odin's ravens and wolves turned to ash and vanished. Thor removed Odin's spear and bow and arrow from his body. He left Odin’s hall as the whole building collapsed. He climbed aboard his chariot and ordered his goats to take him home

5


Freya lay wide awake and restless in her bed. She still felt the pain of Thor's blows. She wondered where he was and what he was doing. Had he confronted Odin? Did he know they'd been playing him for a fool? She felt intense pain in her chest when Odin's heart stopped.  She heard Thor scream in triumph and ran to the window. The sky was black and streaked with vicious lightning. She knew Odin was dead.
         
'No' Freya shrieked into the night.  'No.  This can't be true’.
         
She was dressed in moments and flew through the sky on the back of her great chariot drawn by two giant tigers.  The stars wept around her.  Thunder and lightning streaked across the sky and she saw Odin's face among the clouds.  The chariot landed in front of Odin's hall.  Freya saw his broken body lying in a pile of debris and rushed over to him.
         
'My love' Freya said and fell to her knees.  She lifted Odin off the ground and cradled him in her arms.  'Who did this to you?  Who dared to take you from me?' She kissed his blood-splattered forehead.  'I'm going to bring you back.  I swear.  I won’t rest until you're with me again'.

Freya cradled Odin's body in her arms and wept.  Tears of liquid gold fell from her eyes and ran down her clothes and rested on Odin's face and turned into little chunks of amber.  She brushed them away.  She carried his body in her arms to her chariot.  She climbed in the chariot and balanced his body across her knees.  He weighed nothing.  Blood seeped into her legs and clothes but she didn't notice.

'Take me to Niflheim’ Freya said.

The giant tigers rose high in the air and disappeared into the clouds.  Dawn was approaching when the chariot landed in Niflheim.  Freya jumped off with Odin in her arms.  Niflheim was a land of ice and snow shrouded in mist.  It was littered with icebergs.  Freya made her way slowly across it and carried Odin's body in her arms.  His head rested on her shoulder.  All around her, Thralls, reanimated skeletons watched her progress from the shadows and slowly crept towards her. 

She reached the River of Corpses on the far side of Niflheim.  It was a black river pulsing through the earth.  It was said to have resurrection powers.  A root of Yggdrasil reached into the river.  She looked towards it.  A giant serpent lay on the ground beside the tree.  It was eating the flesh of a corpse lying on the ground and snarled at her.  When it had finished ripping all the flesh from the corpse it started gnawing on the root of the tree.  She laid Odin's body on the soft earth and knelt by the water.  She stared into the blackness and muttered an incantation under her breath.  A young fawn appeared from nowhere and scuttled towards her. 

'Come little one' Freya said.

She grabbed the fawn by the throat and pulled it towards her.  She held the fawn tight in her arms until it stopped struggling, drew her blade across its throat and spilled its blood onto the ground.  She smeared blood on her face, drank some and threw the fawn's body into the river with Odin's body.  The river turned blood red.  She peered into the swirling water.

‘I am Freya, goddess of fertility ruler of the Valkyries.  Here lies Odin, All-Father and kind of the Gods.  I command you in the name of my father, the great sea god, Njord to bring him back' Freya said.

Odin's face appeared in the sky above her.  'It can’t be done.  My soul has crossed the River Styx.  It’s passed beyond the last gate and can’t be brought back.  I’m in Valhalla now'.

'Please… no'.

'This can’t be undone'.

‘There has to be some hope'.

'I will be watching over you until Ragnorak, the end of the world when we will be united. I will guide you through the last gate'.

'Who killed you?  Tell me who ended your life.  Give me that much'.

‘Thor killed me.  He’s in love with you.  He refused to let me have the only woman he'd ever wanted.  We dueled and I lost'.

Freya covered her face and wept.  'I will never forget you.  We will be together again someday'.

'I will always love you'.

Odin's face vanished beneath the river and the water turned black again.  She lifted his body out of the water and carried it back to her chariot.  She climbed aboard and was carried to Asgard where he was laid to rest.

6


Freya returned to her hall but couldn't settle. Anger flared inside her at the thought of Odin, slaughtered by his own son out of jealousy. She felt guilty as well. She knew she was the most responsible for Odin's death. Before her affair with Odin started Thor had shown interest in her. Odin was more powerful and more attractive as a mate so she had chosen him. She mentioned Thor's interest in her one night after they'd made love. He persuaded her to seduce Thor so they could humiliate him. It was supposed to be a joke. It had gotten dangerously out of hand.
         
The anger and guilt she felt gradually got worse and worse until she couldn't stand it. She paced her bedroom. She paced the beautiful gardens that surrounded her hall. She fed the tigers. Nothing helped. Her anger grew and grew and spun dangerously out of control until she was leaving scorch marks on the ground where she walked, her beautiful flowers started to wilt and die and her tigers back away from her in fear sensing her fury.

She looked down at herself and realised for the first time that her beautiful robe was torn and pasted to her skin with Odin's blood. She screamed in rage and tore the robe off. She dropped it on the ground at her feet.  She dived into the cool spring in the centre of the garden and washed the blood from her skin. She was crying so hard she could barely see what she was doing. She scrubbed her skin until it was raw and sore.

She went into the house and dressed in fresh robes and had a few glasses of mead to try and help her calm down. It didn't. Her body and mind felt like a burning furnace trying to melt through her skin. Her mind was filled with images of the look of fury on Thor's face as he struck her and Odin's cold, dead eyes staring up at her. She shrieked in rage. The sound was so powerful the walls of her hall trembled.

She turned into a dove and rose into the air. She flew through the night towards Thor's hall. He would pay for taking Odin from her and destroying her heart and life. He wouldn't get away with it. She landed on the ground outside his hall and turned back into her true form. The hall was lit up. Lights shone in every window. She heard music and raucous laughter inside. Rage seized her heart. He was celebrating destroying Odin.  He had the gall to through a party. Loyal servants of all the gods including Odin were inside his hall having a good time.

She approached the front door of the hall, raised her hands in the air, screamed in rage and clenched her hands into tight fights. The ground she was standing on quivered. Large cracks appeared at the bottom of the outside wall and spread outwards. She gripped the wall with her mind and yanked it forward. She heard people screaming inside. The front of the hall exploded outwards and shattered into a million tiny fragments.
She walked through the gaping hole where the front of the building had been. Thor sat on his front surveying the room with a smug grin on his face. He was wearing casual robes. One nymph was perched on each arm of his throne. They giggled and whispered in his ear. He took sips from a goblet of mead. The room was filled with beautiful music. Hundreds of creatures stared at her in fear. Humans. Dark elves. Light elves. Thor paled.

Freya pointed at Thor. 'His life is mine. The rest of you will be spared if you leave now'.

Sobbing, frightened creatures started fleeing from the hall vanishing into the dark night. Others cowered against the walls of halls. They were terrified and looked to Thor for protection. He rose from the throne and walked towards her.

'Odin thought I would tolerate his relationship with you... being made a fool of... the lies... he was wrong' Thor said.

'You thought you could stand in triumph over his body - you were wrong'.

Thor raised his hammer and pointed it towards her. Lightning crackled in the sky and ran down the handle of the hammer and shot towards her. She deflected the lightning by raising one hand. It rebounded and bounded back towards him. He couldn't move out of the way before it struck it. He staggered backwards. She removed the sword hidden beneath her robs and drove it deep into his chest before he could stand up. He screamed in pain. The force of her fury was unstoppable.  He slid off the throne and lay on the floor bleeding. She stood over him and looked down at him.

'You regret your actions now I presume?' Freya said.

He tried to speak and a jet of blood hit her in the face. She grabbed him by the throat and raised him high in the air. His eyes were bloodshot and rolled in their sockets. She tightened her grip. She clenched her fist as tight as she could and tore his head off his body. His decapitated torso rolled across the floor. He head and torse turned into a horde of black insects that rose into the air. She hurled his head at the wall. The walls started to crumble. She lifted Thor's hammer from beside his torso.

Streaked with Thor's blood, Freya walked outside and looked up at the sky. She screamed in rage. The moon turned blood red. She heard screams of horror and pain all across the nine worlds. A demon moon hadn't been seen in centuries. It was a terrible omen.
She turned towards Thor's hall. She raised his hammer high in the sky. Lightning shot out of the sky and down the length of the hammer. She slammed the hammer into the ground. The ground cracked open. The cracks spread towards the hall. Streaks of lightning shot from the hammer and hit the hall. Where the lightning struck the building caught fire. The creatures still inside tried to escape but she put up a magical barrier and trapped them. The fire spread inside the hall and the creatures caught fire. She listened to them scream in pain and smiled. They had paid the price of betraying Odin. She turned into a dove and flew through the night sky.
© Copyright 2011 Pamela-Scott (pamelascott-81 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782830-Beneath-The-Demon-Moon