*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783249-The-Hood-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1783249
Name: Evelyn King Age: 16 Duty: To steal from the rich. Un-said rule: Never get caught.
The Hood Chapter 1





Will’s voice exploded from the walkie-talkie and Evelyn started nearly falling from her tree branch. On pure instinct she glanced up squinting into the dark. Shifting uneasily in her mid thigh cut sweats and baggy tank, she flexed her foot working the Charlie horse out of her calf. There was no doubt o herself that she was an eyesore between all the Hollister and Abercrombie. Making it terribly obvious that this was not somewhere she was supposed to be. But the brand kids didn’t lie outside fancy houses, they were in them.

For that late at night it was unusually hot, which left reason to believe that it was going to be a long, sweltering summer. Sweat glazed Evelyn’s back, neck, and brow, and her shirt clung to her chest like a second wet skin. Her discomfort excelled from the sounds of crickets so charged from the heat it was as if they were radioactive. A rare breeze finally washed over, allowing her self to savor it for a second before it was long gone as quickly as it came. Eyes darting she searched the front of the house to check on Alex. Only to let out a groan when she spotted a mob of dirty blonde hair near the huge front door. Sitting in a tree had it’s advantages, ableing her to see every detail displayed before her, Alex being no exception. Though he had either too much faith in his ability to be inconspicuous, or not enough her eyes. Standing, hand on the intricate brass railing, chatting it up with a couple of girls, he was as obvious as they were easy. Watching she let out a snort as she saw them fail while trying to secretly tug down their shirts. Rolling her eyes Evelyn rested her head in her palm and ran a hand through her hair as she leaned back against the trunk of the tree, her legs loosely straddling the branch for balance. Had she not specifically told him to stay out of sight? Obviously her opinion and orders she set out for the night were more “guidelines” to Alex. When it came to Alex though everything about life for him was a carefree road of imaginary cocktails, and a life of bliss deliberately pushing his luck. Crackling static erupted through the air and soon Will’s voice was again piercing the silence.

“What the hell, Alex you’re supposed to be lying low!” his voice passing off as a mixture of exasperation and pissed.

Evelyn’s gaze rested on the lamp-lit mansion in front of her. Dark figures moved behind the clear glass, as her eyes narrowed, looking for someone specific. One of her six partners in crime, Will Crawford. Who was theoretically speaking supposed to be on positioned on the second level charmingly manipulating the rich before he rooted through their cupboards, holding riches up to his elbows. Though if you really wanted to be technical about the entire situation, which Evelyn hated being, he was instead at the moment most likely taking a piss in the most fancy bathroom he could lay eyes on.

Years of working numerous jobs with Alex had taught her everything about her, especially the pocket where he stored his own communication device. From her position she watched as Alex’s hand twitched in the direction of his baggy right pocket that only she noticed was too bulky to be empty. The incredibly bright girls that were standing there however didn’t. With a forced smile on his face Alex mouthed something brief to the girls before swaggering off and disappearing out of sight behind the left side of the house. Evelyn waited for what she knew was about to happen. When it came to Will and Alex predicating the future wasn’t exactly hard. Three, two, one-

“Sorry did you say something I don’t think it was quite load enough,” Alex’s voice came hissing out through her walkie-talkie, which lay lazily in the grip of her right hand. So commonly there it was as if it replaced the hand itself.

“My bad, I said stop flirting you already have a girlfriend,” Will snapped back. Evelyn rolled her eyes as she continued to watch the beginning of a lame argument shoot out of the device. When it came down to the three of them they were constantly arguing on the job. Whether it was about who forgot which key piece of equipment, being a bobby pin for locks or the gloves to protect their fingerprints, there was always someone being blamed.

Lifting her head Evelyn searched the scene for Will so she could send him a “shut-the-hell-up” look. Really there was no excuse at all by now for why Will wasn’t wandering about the master bedroom searching for the Mrs.’s pearls that every wealthy D.C lady seemed to claim. Depressingly though Will seemed to like Alex, lack following commands. Meaning he was probably goofing off with a lighter he found on the way there, all laid back and in the back maple tree.

“Why you jealous-”

“Alex!” Evelyn snapped starting to get annoyed. A girl could only take a certain amount of time being bit by misquotes and listening to them fight about dating. To top it off she hadn’t eaten anything all day, and her stomach, as strong and withstanding as she believed, was starting to turn on her.

“Sorry,” she heard him mumbled.

“It’s fine, Will, where the heck are you?!” She demanded as she looked through the dark searching for a tall figure. “You’re supposed to be-”

“In the house, yeah, I know,” came a sigh and she could tell he was rolling his eyes.

“Well ARE you?”

“Chill, of course I’m in the house,”

“Then you shouldn’t have been able to see me,” Alex stated sounding far too smug for what it was worth.

“It’s called a balcony genius,” Will retorted. Knowing Alex’s mouth opening ready to spit out another comeback Evenly quickly jumped in saying, “whatever, just get the stuff, and get out,” the line gratefully was silent after that. Even Alex and Will weren’t stupid enough to get on her bad side, let alone whilst they were crashing daddy’s littlest rich girl’s party.

However, the silent seconds soon turned in to silent minutes and Evelyn found herself getting anxious. She hated when Will took his lovely time even if they were only pulling off what they called “a mini”. Mini’s were nothing. It was what they called when they did a small job like steal some food from the market or snatch a few twenties out of someone’s wallet. Little things, things that most of the time, people never even noticed were happening until it was too late and they had already walked away blending into the busy crowds. Thefts like this party, which was one of the easier ones they had tried to pull of. For instance this one didn’t have the guard dogs they had to deal with the one time- that was pretty bad- or security cameras, and the fact that you didn’t need to be on a list to get in was a miracle. Not that they couldn’t handle that.

They were pros. Practically professionals. Knowing what you were doing didn’t just come with the job, it WAS the job. Everyone in their group had been taught to fight, hot wire a car, and work a gun. If you lived on the street you were quick to learn that those three things could save you life, even if it meant at the expense of someone else’s. Granted some specialized in certain things, Alex in hot wiring and knife fights, John was the strongest, Mark the fastest and smallest so he could get into certain things the others couldn’t, Will was the toughest both physically and mentally, Tuck could break into anyplace without anyone knowing you’d ever been there, Jen was smart, and did all the plans, and then there was Evelyn, the fighter. Each having their own purpose you only took certain people that you needed on the big jobs incase something went wrong it was less people having to run out the cops.

Will was good, really good, Evelyn told herself shaking her head, worrying was pointless. Though the teeny voice in the back of her head kept telling her that even the best of pros made mistakes. BIG mistakes. Like using a fancy bathroom to do you business in instead of doing your job. But Will was one of the best to go in, always super casual, stopped to grab a snack, laid-back, used your toilet, tied his shoes. Never would you guess that charming young man was there to steal your food, shampoo, jewelry, anything he thought worth going to jail for he took. Checking the silver pocket watch for the time Evelyn found herself getting impatient. Like all the other times she was nervous she started fingering the small flat heart strung on the silver chain, that lay just below her colour bone. The smooth surface felt good against her rough fingertips and she moved her fingers over it until she finally felt the names engraved.

Letting out a sigh she started drumming her fingers against the rough bark of the branch wondering what was going on back at the fort. They had eleven people all together. Four younger ones younger ones naming “lost boys” were probably asleep. Or at least Jen and Tuck would be trying to get them there. Older ones were probably lounging around discussing if their absence was due to the fact that they had gotten hit by a car, caught, or the three of them had finally decided to kill one another. A stranger could spot the simple reality that Alex and Will liked to argue, Alex for the simple joy of getting on somebody’s nerves, and Will because he hated when anyone bothered him especially for the simple joy of it.

Suddenly Evelyn was wrenched out of her thoughts by a group of teenage boys walking by talking loudly about their most competitive sport. Sex.

Not wanting to wait around and hear of certain details she didn’t need to know Evelyn started swiftly climbing her fingers lightly grasping the branches as she swung down. Just as she was about to start walking in hopes of locating the slacker she was even ashamed to call a crook a voice called out.

“Hey don’t I know you?” Frozen she turned her head to see none other then the bragger of his bed triumphs, a look of puzzlement plastered onto his face. Stomach lurching it felt like her insides were gong to slither out of her mouth and land on the ground in front of her. She knew that face. Standing before her was the guy who’s wallet she had snatched that morning. Not have been able to resist she remembered her body gracefully bumping into his, the wallet stuffed into her back pocket long before he had even glanced back. If he had ever. The thick black leather contained wealth of which any thief would hoard. At least five twenties and another hundred bill shoved ruthlessly in. Of course nobody expected anything to be stolen right off their body thirty minutes after they closed their front door.

Taking a deep breath she steadied her pounding heart and said with what she hoped was casualty “no sorry I’m afraid not,” the guy squinted his eyes and her and she took a step back hoping to hide her appearance in the darkness.

“You sure… not a past hook-up or anything?” Evelyn narrowed her eyes. She was not the type of girl to just hook up, least of all with the filthy rich. Just as she was about to respond though a new voice beat her to it.

“Sean! You coming or not!?” the voice shouted. That voice was all she needed and without a moments hesitation she was off running towards the left side of the house. Away from the guy who whether he realized it was the only person to ever come close to catching her. Slowing her pace down to a slow walk she let her heart rate relax, and taking in a breath she made her way over to the figure leaning idly against the gray brick wall. He nodded at her as she joined him crossing her arms over her chest, the cool brick soothing her sweaty neck. Closing her eyes she let out a long sigh. No one had ever recognized her before and it was a strange feeling one she found she didn’t like. Blending in was her trademark, her job, and her life. Stealing to survive at the age of eleven didn’t come easy, yet she did it anyway. For herself and for others, which alone was what drove her so hard.

“May I ask why you’re here? Think I can’t do a good enough job alone is it?” said Alex his voice rising over the faint blasting of music in the house.

“You’re seriously asking that question aren’t you? Ladies man.” Alex scoffed at this.

“Incase you’ve forgotten you’ve messed up more then once on a job,” he remarked.

“Oh yeah? Name one,” she said as she watched a squirrel scurry up a tree branch before venturing off into the thick darkness.

“Well I do recall one time you punched the host in the face,”

“He was in need of learning some manners.” Alex raised an eyebrow giving her a look.

“Aren’t you the one who supposedly always has the situation under control?”

“I DID have the situation under control,” she said rolling her eyes. Alex could be such a drama queen, really. Everyone knew that if no one notices it’s anyone’s free game.

“I’m pretty sure there was a fair amount of blood squirting-”

“Are you implying that I broke his nose?” She demanded cutting him off and turning her head to glare at him.

“Are you saying you didn’t?” Alex shot back. Evelyn opened her mouth to send back a retort but then shut it again turning to look straight and pursing her lips. Had Alex not been her best friend she would have punched him right there, no questions asked. Letting out a happy sigh he closed his eyes and put his hands behind his head, a slight smirk playing on his lips. Out of all five of the guys Alex was the sweetie, and she had to admit that even though 95% of the time he was a pain in her ass, when he as the other 5% she loved him. Always being the last to take his share of food incase one of the little ones needed more, and whenever Evelyn tried to give him hers claming she wasn’t hungry in the least he declined so fiercely that she knew it worthless trying to convince him otherwise. Still, he never minded in the slightest getting on her nerves. After Will she was first in line, which Alex always said she should take as an honor.

“And the victory goes to-” That was the last straw. Best friend, or no best friend when it came to victories between them there was no exceptions.

“OW! What was that for?!” Alex yelled glaring at her.

“Probably something you deserved,” Evelyn turned around to see Will standing there an old beat-up ruffle sack slung of his right shoulder. Mumbling something under his breath Alex stood up rubbing his arm and together he and Evelyn started making their way over to the tall boy.

“You get everything?” She asked eyeing the duffel sack wearily.

“Everything,” Will said as he started rooting through it. Great, Evelyn thought, he forgot something.

“What are you doing?” Alex asked watching Will with the same look Evelyn was.

“Looking,” Will said still rooting “for,” Alex and Evelyn exchanged a look, “these,” Will said triumphantly as grinning he pulled out three bottles of beer.

“Dude sick!” Alex said grabbing one and popping the cap off. Will handed one to Evelyn and she nodded sending him a small smile in thanks. Popping the cap off, a sizzle hissed, and she took a long sip the cold liquid feeling good against her parched throat. Licking her lips they tasted of salt and the after bittersweet taste that absorb her tongue. Walking in silence none of them talked for a few minutes the only sound the breeze, cars, and their feet padding softly across the pavement.

“So what exactly did you get?” Evelyn said looking at the bag again.

“Doubting me?” Will said with a smirk.

“Hardly,” Evelyn said smirking back, “do you always have to be so judgmental?”

“It comes with the job,” Will said with a shrug as he unzipped the bag again. “Food, drinks, blanket, some shampoos, hand sanitizer, money,” he listed off. “There’s more, obviously,” he continued. Evelyn nodded her approval satisfied at his work. It was hard to steal right under around 75 people’s noses and though she never liked admitting it, Will always came through. A load burp filled the darkness and wrinkling her nose in disgust she turned to look at a sheepish looking Alex.

The rest of the walk home was mostly silent but in a way that Evelyn loved. They’d been together so long that if they didn’t have anything they could go for hours in the steady silence. On occasion Alex or Will would say something and then the conversation would escalate into bickering back and forth challenging each other on who was actually right. Evelyn stayed out of the arguments mostly only to listen, take sips of her beer, and casually state her own, hardly listened too, opinion. Usually though she just watched the streets, knowing better then anyone that they were at night was nobody’s friend. Dangerous with their twists, and alleyways snaking around so complicatedly that in seconds it had turned on you forming a maze. Hiding spots so pure of their name you could walk two feet of someone and never know they were there. It was easy to get lost if you didn’t know exactly where you were going.

The streets were almost clear that night when they started walking along them, the occasional yellow taxi zooming by. Groups of people passed barely noticing the threesome as they chatted and sipped their own cold drinks. The air was thick and muggy, constantly being filled with some sort of soft music from some party here or there. Up ahead about twenty feet from them her eye caught a group of tough looking teenage boys, some wearing hoodys to hide their faces despite the heat, others clutching either cigarettes or a beer. She watched in disgust as the smoke passed from their lips into the open air circling around until it vanished, no one ever knowing it had been there, and with a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach she knew that that’s what she was. Nothing but smoke. As they neared she caught glimpse of scars lining parts of their faces, white with age. Scars like her very own, old, as if historic. Making the story behind them date back years to times your memory had vaguely blocked away.

Beside her she felt Alex and Will move in closer to her Will’s arm faintly brushing hers and she felt a wave a gratitude towards them. She wasn’t scared, she’d been fighting since she was ten, and both guys knew how good she was, the strength she possessed. It felt good though, to have them there beside her, knowing that they cared as much as they did to make sure she stayed safe. The group of guys didn’t do anything except shout out a few catcalls; still they never once took a step towards them. Perhaps it was the way Will looked, tall, menacing, or the way Evelyn caught Alex glaring at them out of the corner of her eye, or maybe it was because they somehow had heard of this group. Seven to be exact, all skilled in numerous areas, all-willing to take on anyone to protect one another, everyone one of them somehow a thief.

© Copyright 2011 WriterGirl (livvlaughlove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783249-The-Hood-Chapter-1