*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783485-Cornered
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1783485
A gifted young girl is cornered by her pursuers. Flash Ficiton entry
"Look lady, I don't have all day. It's $11.39."

Lilith continued to fish through her empty purse.

"That's steep for a tuna croissant and a tea," she said closing her eyes. She concentrated for a moment and drew upon the hungering darkness within her. She projected that dark hunger, into the vendor's head.

"I think you should give it to me free," she said deliberately.

"Oh second thought," the vendor added, "Your food is on the house."

Lilith gathered everything into her purse. The vendor would respond with anger and violence once his head cleared. She found it best to strike and move on.

She ducked into an alley then down into an abandoned basement. She emptied her purse on a makeshift table, grabbed the sandwich and devoured in huge bites.

"Looks like you haven't eaten in awhile," came a voice from the darkness.

Lillith jumped up and backed into a corner. She tried to calm herself long enough to use her craft.

"Don't bother with the magic. For starters, I'm immune, and secondly I would have to kill you and that would be a shame," said the man stepping into view. "I'd much rather talk about your gifts".

"You're a witch hunter," Lilith whispered.

"I have been trained by the Order," he replied. " I have been tracking you for weeks. Ever since you killed that boy in Rochester."

"It was an accident! I swear!" Lilith cried.

"I won't turn you in. I can guide your craft, make us rich and get revenge on my former Order bosses."

"You're no longer..." Lilith's lips curled into a smile. "The Order's protection doesn't cover ex-hunters."

Before the man realized his mistake she devoured him with her hungering darkness.

"This brush with capture only makes me a better witch," she thought.
© Copyright 2011 Zephaniah Kirkwood (kevlord at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783485-Cornered