*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783582-Shanghai-Spiderman-Washes-Windows
Rated: E · Article · Cultural · #1783582
The moonlighting superhero has a day job washing windows at the Shanghai Sheraton Hotel
Look Out the Window, Its Spiderman!

Everyone knows Spidey’s favorite mantra, “with great power comes great responsibility”, but who could have guessed that his responsibilities would extend as far as washing your window. In April of 2008 the first troop of Spidermen assailed the Shanghai Sheraton Hotel with squeegees in hand, in a creative attempt to make the appearance of a window washer less annoying for the guests.

“Nobody wants to see a person suddenly appear outside their window”, says the hotel’s spokesman, “so we thought we would dress them up as movie characters, which would be fun and harmless”. The plan exceeded all expectations as guests swarmed the Spidermen with requests for photos, effectively turning a required cleaning session into a tourist attraction.

This stunt combined with the 2007 Jin Mao Tower incident - where French urban climber Alain Robert scaled the 88 story building in a Spidey suit - has ensured a place for the graphic novel’s super hero in Shanghai history.



© Copyright 2011 A Temporary Beijinger (beijinger123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783582-Shanghai-Spiderman-Washes-Windows