*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1784606-Entry-612--Jail-Mail
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1784606
Entry for Daily Flash Fiction Challenge. 286 words
"Clink, clink, clink" the sound woke me from my sleep. "Clink, clink, clink". It was the prisoner in my neighbouring cell swaying his tin water mug back and forth between two iron bars. "Clink, clink, clink". The dank and musty smell of the cells made my stomach churn and the mosquitos that infested this damp dark doom room had left a mass of irritating little red lumps across my body where my skin was exposed while I was asleep.

How did I get myself into this mess I thought as I rolled over to the other side of my hard concrete slab of a bed to try and escape the annoying noise.

I remember a much simpler time when I was a child. My father would take my brother and me down to the river and we’d go fishing for hours. My dad would let me borrow his lucky fishing hat so I could catch my first fish but all I would catch was a tangle of weeds.

I miss my father. Losing him was like losing a limb. You can still function and move from A to B but there will always be a part of you missing. Thankfully I still had my brother.

“Clink, clink, clink” the annoying noise brought me back to my gloomy and morbid reality although this time it didn’t sound like a tin mug against iron bars. I got up from my bed and found a copper penny sitting in the middle of my cell. I picked up the coin and examined it. The words “Cell window, 12am, Brandy” where scratched into the back. In an instant I knew what this meant. My brother had come to break me free.

286 words
© Copyright 2011 CherryBomb (cherrybombbabe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1784606-Entry-612--Jail-Mail