*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1787015-A-Small-Story-about-a-Small-Town
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1787015
A short story about how many small towns no longer exist.
The small town had struggled to survive in this economy.



    In it's heyday it had built a church. It even had an organ whose pipes shone like silver. The organist pressed the pedals as if she were making wine to be served as communion.



    This church doubled as a school for a small group of students.



    This small town even had a library, which in truth was a trailer. The school teacher doubled as the librarian. When she could not attend this duty a number of moms volunteered to fill in. An even smaller group of students whiled away their hours reading the small amount of books.



    One day the teacher told the students to return to their homes. The students were excited, 'Oh boy, no school today!' But when they returned home their parents were waiting. The Dads were upset, the Moms crying. The residents of this small town were to move away, never to return.



    The government in is wisdom was turning their small town into a bombing range.



    The church now a bombed out shell. The library a few pieces of mangled metal. The birds do not fill its skies. No animals make it their home.



    The small town is no more.



Shirley Smothers
© Copyright 2011 S. Smothers (yelrihs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1787015-A-Small-Story-about-a-Small-Town