*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1787621-Exercise-1-----Focus-on-Fiction
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Experience · #1787621
Follow directions below. Write your response as a new static item




}Focus on Fiction Workshop

Exercise 1



Set aside 10 minutes of undisturbed writing time. Set your kitchen timer. For those ten minutes, write a free form response to the following:

"When readers read my novels, I want them to feel .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. . . . . at the end.

That's because, to me, novels are ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... . . . .


Write from the gut, quickly.

When you're finished (go beyond 10 minutes if you need to), analyze your mini-essay What does it tell about the type of plotter you might be? Are you suspicious of plot? Are you more concerned with the "gossamer wings" of literary fiction? If so, consider how your writing might be doubled in strength if you learn some plotting craft.


Begin you answer with pen and paper, or on the computer if that's where you usually write.

Go back to your article the next day, be amazed at what you created about yourself as a novelist. Make any corrections, additions, or other changes.


Put your mini-essay in your portfolio as a static item called "Exercise 1 -- (However you'd like to title it). Now is also a good time to create a Focus on Fiction Workshop folder in your portfolio to keep all you associated items in.

By Sunday, send an e-mail to patrice@writing.com, that will have a link to the three items you've created this week. I'll look over what you've written, and add some pop-up comments before next week's chapter is ready on Wednesday..

Have fun exploring your motivation for writing, and exactly who you are writing for. Your audience is all important.


Write on! Patrice




© Copyright 2011 a Sunflower in Texas (patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1787621-Exercise-1-----Focus-on-Fiction