*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1787850-BAD-FRUIT
Rated: E · Short Story · Tragedy · #1787850
A short story. The woman didn't heed the dove's warning
"Sure, you can eat it. He only said that because He knows what will happen. When you bite into it, the eyes of the worlds will be opened unto you, and you'll be like gods," the serpent baited the young woman.

A dove perched on the tree disagreed with the serpent's advice. The dove appealed, "Don't fool this woman. The fruit from this tree I sit on is not to be eaten. There are many other trees to eat from. But this tree, you must abstain."

Disheartened, the woman walked away and grabbed a fruit from another tree. Yet, she continued to ponder over the things the serpent had told her. She thought it would be marvelous to be like the gods. She couldn't resist her curiosity any longer. She headed straight to that mysterious tree and took from it two pieces of fruit.

Before she ate her piece, she wanted to test it on her husband first. "Man, I have some fruit for you."

He bit into his fruit without complaint. She saw no immediate reaction, so she began to taste the luscious fruit she held in her hand. It was only but a moment that they both could feel the difference.

"Woman, what did you give me? Why am I now naked?" the man accused.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, it's the fruit from the tree of good and evil," she confessed.

Seconds later, the voice of God called out, "Adam?"

"Hide woman. God mustn't see us naked," the man ordered.

God called out again, "Where art thou? Don't hide from me."

Adam appeared. "I'm sorry. I hid for I'm naked."

"Naked! Who said you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of good and evil?"

"Yes, my woman and I."

The woman stood behind the man in shame.

The dove swooped down by the woman and said, "Don't say I didn't warn you."

God bawled, "It sorrows me, but you must be cursed."

"We know," both admitted.

God wrapped His arms around them and they all cried together.



Editor's Pick 11/9/11
© Copyright 2011 Itchy Water~fictionandverse (deannarich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1787850-BAD-FRUIT