*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1788917-Unique
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1788917
She was ordinary to everyone, but he saw her for who she really was.
Dead, fallen leaves crunched under her shoes as she walked along the sidewalk. She was heading home after school let out and she was starving, because she barely ate anything on account of her stomach acting up every time she saw him.

She had literally stumbled into him one day while in the local bookstore, because he was crouched down low, looking at one of the bottom shelves of books. She was practically in his lap before she knew what was going on.

He had apologized nearly a hundred times, and had taken to following her around the store, trying to make it up to her. When she had finally admitted it was her fault, that she wasn't watching where she was going, he relaxed.

When he offered to buy her coffee, Shea jumped at the chance. He chuckled at her and introduced himself as Christian, explained how he had been looking for the horror section when she found him. He wasn't very surprised when she told him she shared that interest.

Shea was brought back to the present, and out of her reverie, when the sound of screeching tires and a blaring horn nearly scared her so much that she almost fell into the cars path. The driver shouted some obscenities at her before speeding up.

Shea let out a shriek as she she tried to avoid the mess the vehicle sprayed at her, but it was too late; mud and water dripped down the front of her jacket, some of the brown sludge having made it onto the fur around her hood.

Pulling a face that would have been worthy of an award, as the warm, sticky substance eased down into her shirt underneath, Shea tore off her jacket and her eyes widened. She wanted to cry.

Her mother's shirt was ruined. It was the last thing she had given Shea before she died.

"Fuck," Shea whispered, then she tilted her head toward the sky and shouted, "Fuck!"

"Easy, darling," said a voice.

Christian stood there, staring at her, his grey eyes dancing with amusement. Slowly and carefully, he took her hands in his and leaned into kiss her.

"How did you know where I was going?" Shea asked as he pulled back to look at her.

"I'm secretly stalking you," Christian said, grinning.

"You're not doing a very good job," she said, nudging him. "You were seen."

He smirked, reached out and grabbed her around the waist, squeezing lightly. Then he lowered his mouth to her pulse, feeling it speed up under his lips.

"How could I ignore the cries of someone so gorgeous?" he whispered against her flesh. "You've got such a dirty mouth on you."

"Shut up," Shea murmured. She closed her eyes and wrapped her fingers in his hair, tugging lightly.

"Oh, but it's true," he said, breath hot on her skin. His hands crept up her sides to cradle her face as he looked at her now. "I wish you saw yourself like I did, Shea. You're amazing."

A slow brush crawled onto her cheeks as she pressed her hands against his chest, intent on pushing him away. She had to get home and he was distracting her.

"I'm really not," she replied, shaking her head. "I'm clumsy."

"A minor set back."

"I'm loud."

"Better than being quiet."

"I'm stubborn."

"It's refreshing."

"Christian," she groaned, staring at him. "I get it, okay?"

He frowned, dropped his hands, and turned around. He shoved his hands into his pockets and hunched his shoulders.

"No, you don't."

"No?" Shea said, touching his shoulder. She didn't need to spin him around. He faced her now, an almost pained look on his face. "Christian, what's wrong?"

He wrapped his fingers in her long brown hair and crashed his lips against hers, barely letting her get in a word. He knew she wouldn't push away this time.

Shea always tasted delicious to him, like vanilla and strawberries. It was a rather intoxicating combination.

"You're so special and you don't even see it," he muttered against her mouth, allowing some time for a conversation. "Goddamnit."

"See what?" she asked softly.

"I love you," he said, stepping back. Then he grinned. "What, do you really think I was on the floor of that bookstore on accident?"
© Copyright 2011 Alexithymia (brokenframes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1788917-Unique