*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1789587-In-My-Dreams
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1789587
Another result of a fiction writing course.
In my dreams, I watched the world end.



In a series of cataclysmic events, I watched destruction and chaos reign over the planet. I watched it burn in fire, drown in water, freeze in ice and be ripped apart by the wind. There were no people where I was; it was just me, alone to watch the carnage of nature. I was the physical rendition of Mother Nature, this Earth was an extension of me; and I felt every tree uprooted, every animal slaughtered.



I was weighted in the only spot of green grass left, unable to move and find my sanctuary, my peace away from this Hell. I did not move even when the roots of trees whipped my skin raw, split open the flesh and made me bleed.



I died when the Earth died.



Both of us bore burns, blisters pregnant with water that broke to defend our bodies from more attacks made by fire. We shared our cuts and our blood mixed together. We stained this abandoned orb a dirty, deep crimson. Our cries rang out in the universe with no answer.



If there was a God, he bestowed upon me the luxury of motion but I only let gravity take its toll on me. I fell into my own bed of bloody grass. The Earth and I stared up at the sky together, my hand burrowing to find its Earthy hand and hold it. This was my child, this was the epitome of my everything. Roots broke through the ground and they wound around me like arms, cradling me until the rain hit my face.



I do not know how long I laid there in my child's arms or how long it rained. The accumulation of water turned the dry dirt into mud that cushioned around my body; the oceans and seas washed over each other until they were just one collective body of water. It spilled over lands, submerging them until the only one left was the one that I was held to. I took a final, tainted breath of smoky air before a wave of water came over to shroud my island. Beneath the blanket of water, we did not fight for air, my child and I. We accepted our fate and let the water fill our bodies and wash out our souls, our essence of 'us.'



In my dreams, I watched the world end.

In a series of cataclysmic events, I watched destruction and chaos reign over the planet.



I died when the Earth died.
© Copyright 2011 Jacinthe (jacinthe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1789587-In-My-Dreams