*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1790022-Beautiful-Liars--Arrival--part-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1790022
when Anya turns up in ST Augustine she expects to find her lost sister, not a whole family
Chapter One- Arrival
Mia Brooks. It's been nearly a hundred years since I heard that name; yet still my body shudders at the very thought of her. I don't remember her that well, but I know the stories surrounding her off by heart. How she was left on the doorstep of an orphanage, eight years old, scarred for life.
The truth is we're both immortal. Frozen at a certain age. No need to sleep. No chance of dying. Eternally young. Incredulously beautiful, with enhanced speed and hearing. Not to mention the added talents we immortals were gifted with. For me it was nice to be indestructible. Everlasting. Eternal.
Forever.
I took a deep breath and opened my eyes, the sweet scent of pine trees filling the air. In the distance I could hear the thunderous roar of a nearby waterfall; excited shrieks echoing as people skied down the treacherous slopes. I was in the isolated town of St Augustine, set in the Rockies mountain range in Montana. The main attraction being the local ski resort. Population: two thousand, three hundred and sixty one.
I raised my head to stare at the timeless sky. It was pure white. No grey streaks or blue patches. Apart from the occasional bird, the sky remained untouched. Like that first layer of snow. Sighing, I walked on, my boots gently crushing the autumn leaves as I trod across the quilt of wondrous colour.
I stopped as I came to a large house, gently surrounded by trees and mountains that glowed pink as the sun hit it and twisting into a cold slate blue as the sun went behind a cloud. Giving into temptation I reached up and stroked the feathers of a black and silver dream catcher attached to one of the wooden beams holding up the porch.
A tyre swing hung on a tree close by. Suddenly I had visions of children playing in the sunset, Mia's skin glowing golden as she looked on. I frowned at the vision- somehow wishing it was mine. I wanted the happy childhood I had been deprived of. I had grown up on the battle field, constantly on guard. Behind me wind chimes jingled and the overhead cable car rattled. I shook my hair out of my eyes. This was the kind of house that was given to little girls at Christmas, the kind you only read about in books, the kind that- in my experience- didn't exist.
"Can I help you?"
I spun round in shock; my face guilty. A tall male with huge muscles stood looking at me; a snowboard on his broad shoulder. I eyed him warily and he looked me up and down.
"Maybe..." I trailed off. He raised his eyebrows expectantly and folded his arms. I flashed my most dazzling smile and took a step towards him.
© Copyright 2011 butterflylion (k-t-kins at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1790022-Beautiful-Liars--Arrival--part-1