*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1790418-Faces-and-Farces
Rated: E · Short Story · Arts · #1790418
How we tend to live and lie
To watch the wind blow through the leaves and then run out towards the falling leaves with a smile on our faces, to spend countless hours molding familiar shapes into cotton candy clouds , there lay our pleasure. We were born with laughter in our hearts.

We had so much love to offer, our purpose of existence to center around love and laughter. We gave our love unconditionally to all, love could not measured. Then we grew older and we learnt that sometimes this love was rejected. We cried and we slowly learned that love could be measured, love was something that had to be fought over.

When we were born we were not part of the great illusion, we were born with eyes that could see through all, but as we grew older our eyes became jaded and we deceived our selves into believing that there was not enough love. We realized that there was not enough love to meet everyone’s needs and hence love needed to be possessed and guarded like a treasure. And we discovered envy and anger. And our laughter moved from our hearts into our eyes.

We grew older, wiser, smarter, richer and colder. We withdrew from being souls filled with a capacity with endless love and kindness.
Each of us sat down and began to draw..
We drew with the skill acquired from our experiences; from everything that we knew, from everyone who had been with us through our child hood, we drew faces that we would wear throughout our life.. and we wore the faces. At first it was all a game and the faces could be easily removed but as the time passed on we wore our faces for longer times and it was harder to remove. Till a day came when the we simply failed to remove the faces for they had so become a part of us that we simply forgot that we had drawn the faces with our own hands.
So we go about with our painted faces hiding behind what we ourselves have created.

Some of us eventually realized this but we afraid to remove the masks because the price to pay for removing the faces were great. To remove ones face would be to be different and to be different would mean not to be one with others. We are a strange race we try our best to be different from we each other , we try to be unique, but then if some of us are too different then they are not accepted. In a way we have to be different within a set of rules.
Some of us did manage to remove the faces but then most of those who removed the faces put them back on because they realized that their true selves had become so pale, that they were not comfortable with themselves anymore. When they looked into the mirror they reeled back in horror, they could no longer recognize themselves, moreover they were so engrossed in painting their outer faces that they had completely neglected their inner selves and so they put their faces back on.
© Copyright 2011 silvermoonrain (peaweatherwax at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1790418-Faces-and-Farces