*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791164-Writers-Cramp-Space-Travel
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1791164
Space Travel Writer's Cramp contest prompt
“Goodbye!” I tell my mother.
“Goodbye! What do you mean? You just called me and now you’re telling me goodbye before you even say hello.”
“I told you I just may call you and tell you goodbye - that I’m leaving planet earth - and you may never see me again.”
“Is this one of your crazy dreams?”
“No, Ma, I really am leaving. Earth stinks. It holds nothing for me anymore. I gotta get out of here.”
“So, what are you going to do, just sail out of here on the Good Ship Lollipop?”
“Something like that – the space shuttle launch leaves today, and I have booked a seat. I sold my house last week and put all the proceeds from the sale towards the cost of my ticket. I’m leaving on the 6 pm flight. It’s the last flight to leave earth in who knows how long. I wish you were going, but you are so stubborn.”
“I’ll take my chances here,” replied my Mom.
“Goodbye for real Mom, I love you,” I tell her and hang up.
I’m serious about needing to get out of here fast. Life on planet earth was going as great as a free ride on the Titanic just before it hit the iceberg. Life had gotten rough since World War IV began. I could get killed living in my neighborhood, or anywhere else on earth for that matter.
Over the past ten years, things had gotten rough. First, there was the oil spill in the Gulf, which started a chain reaction. Then a series of earthquakes caused serious repercussions when a series of strong tremors ran along the Madrid fault line, causing the United States to rip in half. Seven Midwestern states disappeared into a deep abyss, which is fast becoming a new ocean . Then an earthquake hit Old Faithful and spewed out so much that America has been in complete darkness for the past seven years. On top of that, a series of sun spots wreaked havoc with our planet’s atmosphere causing power disruptions. Living in darkness 24/7 with no electricity is not fun. In our weakened state, America was invaded by a a number of countries who had been planning an attack on us for years. Hyper-inflation caused prices to soar, and it required a truck full of dollar bills to buy a stalk of celery. Greenhouses cannot produce enough hydroponic food to sustain life on earth.
Some new farms have been established on the planet Aeroris. Before WWIV, a technological thrust caused new advancements in space travel. Nowadays, one can fly faster than the speed of light. Space farms have already been springing up in other galaxies.
I was lucky to have been able to sell my house in this tough housing market. With repo’s glutting the market, I was fortunate to get 10% return on my money. There was no equity built up anyway - what with the way the housing market sunk over the past 20 years. My next door neighbors have decided to default on their loan and move into my place. They like my swimming pool, so it’s worth it to them.
I have one bag packed. It’s all I’m allowed to take. Of course, I have the essentials, but I also had the microchip embedded in my forearm that has all my family photos and personal information. It will always be with me no matter what. I hardly have any clothing. Who knows what one wears in outer space. Probably something far out – lol!
Well, it’s almost time to go.
“Goodbye earth. Goodbye light and the red . . ..”
607 words
© Copyright 2011 dreamy mustard seed (dreamdaily at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791164-Writers-Cramp-Space-Travel