*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791290-One-Dollar-Bill
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by John
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1791290
This new school gives Amy more that she bargained for.
As Amy walks into her new school she rolls the one dollar bill up in her pocket, and then unrolls it again. Mr Metric guides her through the hallway to meet her new British classmates. His round steel rim glasses freeze white as he walks under the rows of fluorescent lights.
    Amy flattens down the sides of the note inside her pocket. The walls start to move. The brightly coloured student art work shakes and then falls to the floor. Mr Metric’s tic-tocking footsteps get faster and louder. Amy struggles to keep up. She folds and unfolds the dollar in her pocked as she half walks and half runs to catch up with him. Dust is shaken out of the concrete as the walls slide towards her. As soon as she looks at them they stop, but she can see them move from the corner of her eye. If they don’t move fast they will both be squashed to death. She scrunches the note into a ball.
    They arrive at the classroom in the nick of time. Mr Metric opens the door and she can hear the chatter and laughter of other children. As she walks in their eyes meet her’s with curious smiles. She lets go of the one dollar bill and takes her hands out of her pockets.     
 

John Palmgren

If you liked this short story then please vote for it in this competition http://www.eastory.com/one-dollar-bill-by-john-palmgren/
© Copyright 2011 John (jpalmgren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791290-One-Dollar-Bill