*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792221-Happy-94th-Birthday
by Cindy
Rated: · Other · Contest Entry · #1792221
The musings of a woman celebrating her 94th birthday
94 years old today. How did I ever get here? Time has always been so elusive for me. I have never learned how to hang on to the moments of my life. Every day we lose another 24 hours or 1440 minutes. These we can never get back. Today, I will have everyone asking me the secret to a long happy life. I don't know. I just live one day at a time. Sometimes I don't even remember the days of my life.



  I began my life trying to remember every moment and second I spent with my husband. The children started coming, and before you know it, I can barely remember my name.The seasons of your life change and as the seasons change, so changes the way we react to different circumstances. You find that you don't remember large chunks of time. What is important at 20 will change when you are 50.



You realize that the most important part of your life is always the children. What a blessing they bring you. Those are the moments you don't forget. When I can't remember my first kiss, or the kids I went to school with,, I will remember the day each of my children were born. My 3 wonderful children gave me 8 beautiful grandchildren. I was there to see them all into this world. Except for Lilly, who quietly came into this world the hard way. She wanted out feet first, so the doctors had to take her through a c-section. It seemed like only a few years from there that I was blessed with 14 great grandchildren. And as I celebrate another year, I am expecting 5 new great great grandchildren this year.



When I am asked about my 94 years and what I remember the most, it will be the children first. But I will never forget the words of another wise woman, my grandmother. She lived with my parents when I was a young woman. Every Christmas she would say "Well, I know it seemed like 2 weeks ago that we took down the Christmas Tree. Now here we are putting it back up again." At the time I thougth Grandma was crazy, now I know what she means. My birthday candles will barely be cooled when it will be time to light them again with 95 candles.



Author Cindy Mathes WC 314 LC 26
© Copyright 2011 Cindy (cindyl57 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792221-Happy-94th-Birthday