*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792329-Are-we-losing-ourselves
Rated: 13+ · Article · Philosophy · #1792329
This article focuses on how we are losing ourselves as we progress.
ARE WE LOSING OURSELVES?

Its often this extended self longing to get back to the world of originality. The sense of getting lost and losing all sense of belonging has caught many a people prisoner. Did there ever exist a time when life was slow and complicated lives were non existent.As we enter the realm of this worldliness, to even imagine people free of possessions, of lust, of longings, of desire seems to be an unrealistic proposition.The development of these happenings is an inevitable consequence of progress, a word which has now become a part of our everyday lexicon.At a time when everyone is living one's dream, or someone else's dream or is just lost in the madness of being forced to live up to something-the question that plagues our mind is-are we losing ourselves.Since when did life become a commodity?since when did dreams become so real? since when did we begin to lose our souls to live this grand artificial life?

Can a person let one's soul remain intact in the midst of all the chaos?To pursue one's dream in isolation is a challenge. In an age and time when everyone invariably ends up being a part of society, this would be the biggest challenge. We live in highly atomized societies, so the liberals would say however we still live highly dependent lives. Herein lies the greatest contradiction of the times. Here we are longing for the greatest possible freedom and at the same time hoping to walk hand in hand.This is a disruptive contradiction. In the whole process of identity formation, we are left having invisible conversations with ourselves.Often we find ourselves at crossroads with a lost sense of being, unable to discover the real self.

The question again arises -are we losing ourselves. Every time we express our love for someone at the cost of losing one's real self, of being this person who is a mirage constantly being chased- are we losing ourselves?

We live in troubled times. The entire world today lies prostrate at the hands of war, disease, ruthlessness of the people. Amidst all this chaos to maintain the sanctity of one's soul is a challenge. Today the family is no longer sacrosanct, as the century espouses individuality. The language that is spoken is not the language of love, its the language of money. Can we hold onto our selves or will we be swept by the tide of time. Are we losing ourselves?
© Copyright 2011 nilanjana (nilanjana at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792329-Are-we-losing-ourselves