*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1793311-The-Coyotes-Embrace-Ch4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1793311
ch.4 of The Coyote's Embrace
Gayle

         The ancient grandfather clock in Iggy’s dining room rang, but my thoughts were somewhere else.
         “Is something wrong, Dear?” she asked looking at me with wise light gray eyes. All these years, I always thought Iggy looked like the American gray-haired version of Julie Andrews. We were finished for the day and was eating the apple crisp I brought over. I couldn’t eat the rest so I picked at it.
         “What?” I blurted coming out of my daze.
         “You were out in space,” she smiled.
         “It’s this guy,” I replied.
         “Ah, I see,” she smiled eve more.
         “No, not in that way,” I said quickly. Why do people always jump to that conclusion of romance when a girl thinks about a guy? She looked at me patiently waiting for me to tell her more. “I met him in the woods last Thursday.”
         “That forest is dangerous. There are stories about those woods that were told even before I was born,” she whispered.
         “What kind of stories?” I asked leaning in.
         “About an enchantress that lived there who would lure young men into the woods and they would never return. Town folks called her the Woodland Circe,” she said, her eyes looking distant as if reality was slipping away from her.
         “Iggy, how do you know so much about her?” I asked kindly. She looked at the table top sadly. Tears formed and started to fall.
         “Long ago, my brother was taken,” she sobbed.
         “I’m sorry,” I said putting my hand on top of her wrinkled ones like a shield. She nodded. “How old were you then?”
         “I was about five or six and he was eighteen. He was a wonderful brother. He would take me to see a movie at the drive-in when the other teenagers thought it wasn’t hip. I have a picture of him in an old family album somewhere if you would like to see,” she answered wiping a tear away with her other hand. I nodded. Then she got up and left the room. Two and two were starting to come together. Was Sean one of those that were taken? Five minutes later, she came back with a dust brown book in her arms. She sat down next to me and opened it to a page. I gasped. The picture was old but the face that looked back was Sean’s. He was clad in a leather jacket and a dark t-shirt behind a pretty dark haired woman and a little Iggy. Their father must have taken the picture, because he was shown.
         “Sean,” I whispered. She looked at me with wide eyes.
         “How did you know that was his name?” she asked shaking.
         “You won’t think I’m crazy if I tell you something very weird,” I said. She shook her head no. “Remember that guy I was thinking about. The one I met in the woods. I think he may be your brother,” I stated. Her eyes grew wider.
         “Are you absolutely certain it was him?” she breathed.
         “You believe me?” I said.
         “At my age, I can believe anything, but all my life I felt deep down that he never ran away. Can you give him a message for me?” she asked holding my hands tightly.
         “I’ll try, but I sort of made the enchantress mad. I don’t know how to get passed her?” I worried.
         “Ooh, that’s going to be a doozy,” she commented.
         “You’re telling me,” I replied, “What’s the message?”
         “Tell him to come home safely and that I miss him,” she answered.
         “I will, Iggy. I promise,” I told her.
         When I got home, Mum was cutting up potatoes for potato soup. I sat down at the table, putting my head on the table. I was exhausted from all the information I was getting from Iggy, not to mention the errands I performed.
         “How was Iggy?” she asked. I looked up at her.
         “She’s fine. Um, Mum?” I answered.
         “Hmmm,” she hummed.
         “Have you ever heard of the Woodland Circe?” I asked getting up to wash my hands to help her. Then I dried them with a dry dishcloth and took up a small knife to peel.
         “Only in stories I’ve heard when I was a little girl. Why? Did Iggy scare you with them?” she asked with a grin.
         “They weren’t scary. Just interesting. In the stories, did they say how to or about some kind of object that would protect a person from her?” I said.
         ‘Not that I know of. Why don’t you call your grandparents and ask. They may know. Is this something for school?” she answered putting water in the pan after cutting the potatoes that I had peeled.
         “Uhhh, yeah,”I lied.
         “How come I don’t believe you,” she said suspiciously. She placed the pan on the hot burner to cook.
         “Independent extra credit?” I lied more even though it wouldn’t have been a bad idea. That seemed to please her and I went to the phone. I dialed Grandma and Grandpa’s number and waited for them to pick up. “Hey, it’s me.”
         “Gayle, is that you?” it was Grandma, “How’s the head?”
         “It’s a lot better,” I answered.
         “That’s good,” she said.
         “Do you know anything about the Woodland Circe?” I asked.
         “Let me guess. Igrayne McKenzie told you?” she said with a chuckle.
         “Yeah, and I thought it might be something fun to do extra credit on for school,” I replied now telling the truth. I never lied to Grandma, but my main motive would have made her think I was nuts.
         “Well, I may know a little. Why don’t you walk down here and I’ll tell you. If I told you there, you mom would think I was getting senile,” she told me. Since their farm was only down the road, I decided to walk down with Duke on a leash. When I got there, Grandma was already standing in the doorway of their house. “Come in. Your grandpa went fishing with Tobey,”she said as I approached the door.
         “Yeah, I think he told us about that. Um, I brought Duke. Is that okay?” I asked knowing that sometimes I couldn’t bring dogs into their house.
         “As long as he behaves himself. Hey, pooch,” she answered patting his head, then she looked at me, “Let’s go to the parlor, shall we.” I followed her. The parlor was elegantly furnished and always smelled like peppermint. As I entered in, I sat in the chair across from her recliner by the fireplace with Duke lying down at my feet. On the little table beside her, there were two small black boxes. Grandma picked one up, took off the lid and lifted up a small amulet necklace.
“That’s beautiful. Where did you get it?” I asked leaning in with amazement.
“Your great-grandfather Michael Cohen was a young jeweler. He made these after he found the emeralds in Ireland while on a pleasure trip. A wise old man told him that they were special. They would protect those in possession from evil. He kept one for himself and his new wife that he met there, then he gave it to me and I gave the other to your grandfather when we were engaged,” she told me.
“Did they work?” I asked.
“I don’t know. My father was a very superstitious man,” she chuckled.
“What about Iggy?” I pressed on.
“Poor Igrayne. Most of us thought Sean just ran off. He was a wild one. She was only a little thing then. She looked up to him. I think it’s just too hard for her to face the truth,” she answered shaking her head sadly, “You can have both. The emerald would bring out the green in those hazel eyes of yours.”
“Thanks,” I said as I rose to go.
“You’re welcome. Just tell Igrayne I said hi when you see her,” she replied. I nodded, took the boxes and hugged her goodbye. Then I headed out of the house back to mine with Duke. When I got there, I returned him to his kennel, and then fed and watered him, Angel, and Mia.
Later that night as I was in bed, thought about Sean ran through my brain Wait, I had impure thoughts about a guy who is older than my grandparents. I’m a gold-digger, I thought a little weirded out. Then I heard some tapping at my bedroom window. I looked over to my sister to see if she heard it, but she was dead sleep. So I walked to the window.






Sean
         
         What was I thinking? Throwing pebbles at her window. I should just go, I thought with apprehension as the window opened, Too late. She looked normal with her hair straight and untouched by gel. She was wearing a long blue t-shirt with some kind of sports team on it which brought more attention to the curvaceous figure underneath.
         “Hello, Sean McKenzie,” she said with a small smile.
         “So you did your homework,” I said with a smirk, “Didn’t take very long.”
         “You didn’t say hi back,” she smiled wider which made my head spin.
         “Hi back,” I replied nervously.
         “How are you?” she asked, “Last time I saw you, you were……”
         “Yeah, about that. Did your brother give you my message?” I interrupted.
         “Yes, he did. One sec, I have something for you,” she said then she left the window and came back tossing me a small box. I opened it. Inside was a really old looking amulet with a large emerald in the middle.
         “Never received jewelry from a girl before. Thanks,” I said as I put it over my head. It was a bit heavy.
         “It’s supposed to protect you from evil,” she explained.
         “I think it’s a little too late for protection,” I smirked. She laughed. It sounded musical almost like Beethoven’s Für Elise in the flesh.
         “Have you ever heard the saying: Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth?” she playfully scolded with her hands on her nicely shaped hips.
         “I do believe I have heard that before,” I chuckled, yet my eyes couldn’t stop tracing her silhouette. Her hair was highlighted by the faint fluorescent light behind her which made her look like a being from heaven.
         “So, would I be able to see you again?” she asked blushing a slight pink.
         She wanted to see me again, but how? Well, Rothella won’t be back until next week and I’m sure Edgar won’t rat me out. But where? Hmmmm, AHA!, I thought. “Do you know the small pond past the cave?”
         “Clark’s pond. Yeah,” she answered with a nod.
         “You can meet me there next Saturday night at 6:30,” I told her. Her face looked slightly worried.
         “I don’t know if I can. Mum doesn’t want me to go in there anymore,” she said looking downcast.
         “What stopped you last night?” I asked curiously.
         “I had to return your flashlight,” she explained running her fingers through her hair. When she did that I had to catch my breath. It was so tempting for me to just climb up there and touch her hand, but I didn’t.
         “I told you didn’t have to,” I told her.
         “I’m a blond. What did you expect? I’ll try to sneak out. Okay?” she said with a laugh. I nodded.
         “By the way, why would you want to see me again?” I smirked though I wanted to know her answer.
         “I don’t know, but I’ll tell you when I find out,” she said with a saucy smile.
         “I’ll be waiting for your reply. I better go,” I told her smiling. She blushed again then her eyes grew serious.
         “Yes, before the enchantress finds out,” she said worryingly.
         “I don’t need to worry about that. I thought you may need your sleep,” I replied.
         “Such a chivalrous gentleman,” she spoke with a tone of gratitude.
         “My pleasure, Miss Siegfried,” I bowed.
         “Goodnight and be careful,” she said running her fingers through her hair again.
Was that just a quirk or was she deliberately trying to drive me crazy, I thought with a gulp. ”I-I-I will. G-G-Goodnight,” I stuttered. Then she closed the window and drew the curtain back in place. For some reason, I wanted to stay there by her window, but I knew in several hours the sun would be up. As I walked back to the cave, I look down at the amulet. Then I looked back and smiled.
The next morning, I was woken up in my coyote form by a loud CAW! Edgar landed next to me.
Where were you last night, Old Sport? He asked. In this form, we could communicate mentally.
I already told you last night, Bird- Brain. I stretched.
If Rothella knew…….He ruffled his feathers.
Yeah, I know. Then he saw the amulet around my neck.
Ooo, shiny. What is that? He asked.
A gift, I answered.
Is it a friendship gift or one of those lovey- dovey type deals? He cackled.
Definitely a friendship gift, I blurted.
Right and I’m a bald eagle, he cackled more.
I groaned and sighed, Well, you have wings. Why do you stay?
Why do you? He asked.
Haven’t you noticed when a coyote goes out in public, people pull out their rifles, but when they see a crow, they just bring out a scarecrow; I yawned.
Honestly, I don’t get why they call them “scarecrows”, they don’t frighten me. The whole concept is so ridiculous, it makes me laugh. As to the matter of why I stay, I have my own reasons, his tone became serious.
         We’ve been friends for a long time, I said.
         Seems like forever, he commented.
         I can’t do this forever, I whimpered.
         Do what? Our friendship? How rude! He replied.
         No! This coyote during the day thing and the torment that Rothella puts me through, I whimpered more.
         Well, I hate to say this, but you got it easy, Old Sport. I can’t switch on and off like you can, but I’m used to it. Besides Ro isn’t all that bad. She just has a temper, he told me.
         There’s something going on between you and she isn’t there? I asked.
         No! Are you crazy?!? She’s an evil succubus that’s plagues me every day with the chore of watching your furry behind! He blurted pecking me with his beak.
         OW! I was just curious, I chuckled.
         You’re a fool, he replied.
         Then why are you my friend? I asked.
         Oh, just go, he cackled. So I left my friend to go hunting. I caught a couple of chipmunks before they could climb up a tree. These were going to be my dinner that night. As I ran, I felt the amulet bounce on my chest and I felt oddly safe.
© Copyright 2011 C.D. Schultz (piratequeen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1793311-The-Coyotes-Embrace-Ch4