*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1796449-Unexpected-Walk
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1796449
Written for Daily Flash Fiction Challenge. Prompt words: dark, glove, teeth
Terri had just gotten off work from the convenience store, and had started walking home. Her friend was supposed to give her a ride, but had bailed on her to go on a date. Terri had been frustrated, but figured the twenty minute walk home would be quick. Since it was after nine o’clock the streets were dark, with small pools of light every few blocks where there were street lamps.
Just as Terri had turned onto her street, she heard footsteps behind her. She hadn’t seen anyone else on the street when she turned on it, but thought maybe she had missed them in the shadows. She turned her head and caught a glimpse of a tall slender man walking. On instinct, she began to walk a little faster. Then she began to have terrible thoughts, like “What if he follows me?!”
Slightly frazzled by the dark, her thoughts, and the man behind her, she decided to steal another look. This time the man was much closer and she could see he had on a red ball cap, a black leather coat with his left hand in the pocket. The right hand was free and had a black glove on it. Terri had a very bad feeling in the pit of her stomach and she began to walk even faster. She was suddenly so scared that it was all she could do not to start running.
Terri kept her pace as she continued down the street. When she saw the Smith’s house she knew she didn’t have far too go, and turned once more to see if the man was still there.
The last thing she saw after turning to check was a flash of white teeth, but Terri’s screams, could be heard by residents who lived blocks away.
© Copyright 2011 PoeticSyble (poeticsyble at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1796449-Unexpected-Walk