*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1797018-Defending-Legacy-Through-Media
by Alexie
Rated: E · Article · Political · #1797018
Using press media is effective in controlling public opinion
              Using press media as a slick technique to incorporate personal public relations strategies has proved to be an effective way to control public opinions on variety of topics. Former U.S. president George W. Bush has recently written his book called "Decision Points" in which he not only examines and explains some of his personal lifestyle choices, but the struggles and decisions over the course of his presidency as well. Across 14 chapters, he makes references to issues such as stem-cell research, September 11 attacks, the war in Afghanistan, the war in Iraq, Medicare, Social Security reform and Hurricane Katrina among many others. He was paid $7 million for the 1.5 million copies. In addition, he hosted a publication ceremony of 2,500 guests including administration officials to introduce the book. The book is said to "captivate supporters, surprise critics, and change perspectives on one of the most consequential eras in American history-and the man at the center of events." The message presented states that George W. Bush writes genuinely and directly about his mistakes as well as accomplishments. He offers extreme insights into factors that influenced his choices, and he evaluates consequences in a way that perhaps was unknown to public before and portrays him in a different light. How much of his book is true, and how much is simple distortion of facts to mislead readers and gain back respect of former supporters? How much of it is manipulation to convince the world that there really are no solid points behind public attacks on Bush's persona, and that all critique against him was formed solely on misinformation and ignorance of true motives behind his actions?
              Former president George W. Bush states in his book that he has a "sickening feeling every time" he thinks about the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. He also claims to write his memoirs honestly and directly to readers, and even providing them with personal details about life with his family, quitting drinking, and discovering faith. The book gained tremendous publicity with launching its own website, advertising videos, and promotional campaigns. The book is available in hardcover, as well as on the internet as an e-book or an audio book. Many critics argue that Bush’s book is clearly meant to defend his legacy, as he comments on most of his controversial decisions during office and tries to justify them to the public. He brings up few mistakes he has made as president, but does not admit to committing any serious offenses. Bush admits sending troops to Iraq was done with a heavy heart, but still believes it was a rational decision. In his memoirs, he reflects “I knew the consequences my order would bring. I had wept with widows of troops lost in Afghanistan. I had hugged children who no longer had a mom or a dad. I did not want to send Americans into combat again. But after the nightmare of 9/11, I had vowed to do what was necessary to protect the country. Letting a sworn enemy of America refuse to account for his weapons of mass destruction was a risk I could not afford to take." Years after the attack, the public knew there were no WMDs, but at the time “the Bush administration’s propaganda campaign was so successful that 70% of the U.S. public believed Iraq was directly involved in 9/11 attacks." Part of the propaganda was centered on the concept of “Iraqi freedom”, which made Iraq invasion seem like an operation to bring democracy and peace to the Iraqi people and free them from oppression, but years after the attack it became clear that “the military intervention and occupation by the United States did not resolve either the sociopolitical conflict or the thirteen hundred-year history of bad blood between ethnic factions and religious sects in Iraq." It seems that the decision to go to war was based on simple assumption that there are weapons in Iraq. How much of it were pure assumption and how much was a premeditated course of action is a question many people still struggle with.
              Dr. Scott A. Bonn, a professor of sociology, public speaker, and media expert offers an interesting case in examining the Bush administration in his book "Mass Deception: Moral Panic and the U.S. War on Iraq.”  After presenting a testimony proving that Iraq's leader had no connections to September 11 attacks, and that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, he then asks, "Why did the Iraq war garner so much public acceptance during its primary stages?"  He references to the propaganda surrounding the war and introduces a new theory called “critical communication” to clarify why elites and news media generate public panics, and what benefits they derive from them. In order to explain it better, Bonn defines the concept of moral panic and the factors that drive it. He uses original definition that states “a moral panic occurs when a condition, episode, person or group of persons emerges to become defined as a threat to societal values or interests; its nature is presented in a stylized and stereotypical fashion by the mass media; the moral barricades are manned by editors, bishops, politicians or other right-thinking people. Sometimes the subject of the panic is quite novel and at other times it is something which has been in existence long enough, but suddenly appears in the limelight. Sometimes the panic passes over and is forgotten; at other times it has more serious and long lasting repercussion and might produce such changes as those in legal and social policy or even in the way society conceives itself." Panics usually arise to generate fear, strengthen stereotypes, and worsen separations between people based on oppression. Book argues that Bush administration actually “manufactured” support for the war by using propaganda to “demonize Arabs/Muslims after 9/11.” In his research, Dr. Bonn presents the criteria that are used to define a moral panic. First, there is a focus on certain groups’ behavior that is categorized as evil and dangerous, despite the fact that in actuality the threat is usually much lower or non-existent. Over time there is an increase in public concern, which eventually yields to unnecessary passage of legislation, which only serves the elites’ interests and ensures their dominance over society.  Although the Bush administration claims to be very clear in giving reasons for going to war, it is actually not the case. Scott McClellan, former White House press secretary, now is reported saying that “the president was not open and forthright about the war." Although there are many supporters of the notion of government staging 9/11 attacks and using propaganda to link them to winning war support, in “Decision Points” Bush still denies those accusations by recollecting his own thoughts as 9/11 was in progression: “The first plane could have been an accident. The second was definitely an attack. The third was a declaration of war. My blood was boiling. We were going to find out who did this, and kick their ass."
            There were many different reactions to the book, both critical and supportive. Famous musician Kanye West said he really has “more connect with Bush just on a humanitarian level” after reading the book. Gerhard Schroeder, former chancellor of Germany, was reported saying “the former American president is not telling the truth.” Schroeder was making a reference to be willing to support U.S. against Iraq, but only if Iraq was found to be involved in September 11 attacks, which as Schroeder said, “it became clear during 2002, that this connection was false and constructed." 
            Critics argue that George W. Bush’s book “Decision Points” is a public relations technique to justify former president’s decisions during office and create a better public relationship. It gained enormous public attention and made millions of profit. Although Bush claims to talk honestly and directly to his readers, the book attempts to portray him in a more favorable light to the public. He made many excuses in his defense and failed to objectively form judgment on his choices as president. One of the media experts that took interest in “Decision Points” was Scott A. Bonn in his book “Mass Deception.” He used theories of critical communication and mass panics to explain why elites stage national alarms for their benefits, which is what he believes was done by Bush Administration as an aftermath of 9/11 attacks. To demonstrate this idea more closely, Dr. Bonn allows himself to quote, “Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war.”
© Copyright 2011 Alexie (alexie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1797018-Defending-Legacy-Through-Media