*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801305-Beyond-the-Shadows
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1801305
What kind of creatures lurk inyour room, waiting for you to turn off your lights?
            They were pacing outside my door, waiting for the darkness to consume me. The only light I had was a lamp on my nightstand, illuminating everything in my room. Suddenly, there was a loud scratching sound on my door. They were trying to claw their way to me, but I knew that their attempts would end up useless, and they'd eventually give up.  I was safe as long as I was in the light. These things- whatever they were -were only dangerous in the dark, and their interest had seemed to only be me. I slid off my bed and nervously walked over to my window. Cautiously, I peeked behind my curtain and only saw darkness. Then, like the speed of light, they came. Shadows everywhere dashed across my driveway, trying to hide from the escaping light that fled from my window. The sound on the door stopped, only to be replaced by a wailing sound. It sounded like a distraught animal caught in a painful trap, unable to get free.

        The sound peirced my ears, and I cupped my hands over them to try and block out some of the noise. I stumbled backwards, balancing myslef on a nearby table. Why could I only hear these noises? What was going on? It was a sound I heard before but I couldn't remember where.  A dream maybe...

         My thoughts were interrupted when my room went dark, and the sound had abruptly stopped. I ran over to my lamp only to see that the bulb had burned out. My heart raced, and my thoughts got all jumbled. I felt like my heart was about to leap out my chest. No. I felt like my heart was being ripped from my chest. I frantically dashed for my door, anxious to reach the hall bathroom. Anxious to reach the safety of light. It was too late though. Black figures poured into my room, encircling me. They came from nowhere, seeping through the cracks in my walls. Hands reached for me in all directions. I tried swiping them away, but my hand uselessly went through them like smoke. More came. They were multiplying, filling ever corner of my room in shadows.

           "Who are you? What do you want?" I cried. I closed my eyes hoping this was all a bad dream. Hoping I'd soon wake up and realize none of this was real, but I didnt. I opened my eyes and the last thing I saw before light filled my room was a man. He was slowly walking towards me, arms outstretched like he was welcoming me into them. A mischevious grin played across his features, and he opened his mouth like he was about to speak. But he didnt, because just then my mom opened my door bringing the light with her.

         "What is going on? Are you okay?"

         My mom bombarded me with question after question, and after a few reassuring "im fine" answers, she reluctantly left. Just as she was about to close my door I screamed out "NO!." She stared at me curiously, then headed back to bed. I fled from my bedroom as fast as I could running to the bathroom. I closed the door behind me, not wanting to wake my mom. I curled up in a ball on the floor, rocking back in forth telling myself I was crazy. This wasnt real. It couldnt be. I layed like that for hours, sobbing quietly, replaying what had happened over and over again in my head. I felt sleep tug at me from behind my eyes, and I welcomed it easliy.

         I woke the next morning to someone shaking me furiously.

         "Whaa..?" I slurred out. I had a massive migraine and whoever was shaking me was only making it worse.

         "Wake up! Wake up, wake up, wake up! What are you doing sleeping on the bathroom floor?" My mom was leaning over me, hands firmly gripping my shoulders. She was still shaking me.

         "Stop. Mom, stop shaking me!" I screamed. She looked at me, cleary surprised that I had yelled at her.

         "Don't you ever speak to me in that kind of tone again. Do you understand me?"

         "Then stop shaking me, and I wouldn't have to." I pushed her off of me, too annoyed to deal with her nosiness. I still had a pulsing headache, and she didnt make it any better. Not to mention, Im still alittle spooked about last night. I just dont understand it. Who, or what, were those things? I can still hear that noise. I heard it before. I just cant remember if it was in a dream, or if it was reality. I walked to the kitchen, and poured a glass of milk. My mom was right behind me, rambling on about something. My thoughts were somewhere else though. I tuned her out, and she stalked off to her room and closed the door. I also went to my room. It was daylight outside, so I was safe. Light fled into my room from my window. I tried to turn my lamp on again, only to have the same outcome as last night. Ill have to get that fixed before tonight. I sat on the edge of my bed, and put my head in my head. I slowly rubbed my temples begging my headache to go away. I looked up, still able to see the man from last night. His face was burned into my memory. I remembered every detail of his features. The grin on his face, the danger that flashed in his eyes, his gnarled fingers reaching for me.

         I wanted answers, but the only way I could get them was to confront the things that were terrifying me. If I even could. Even if I did have the courage to turn off the lights and wait for them to come, how could i be so sure they could answer my questions? Would they even be able to comprehend what i was asking? Maybe I could just hide out in the light forever. Isolate myself from everyone, and go away somewhere.  But that wouldnt give me the answers I needed. Maybe Im just crazy, or maybe this is all just a bad dream. Both of those options would be much better than these things actually being real. I layed down on my bed.

and let sleep take me away. Hopefully my headache would stop also. But I was pulled into a nightmare, one that seemed vaguely familiar.

         I was drowning, sinking to the bottom of the ocean. There were things down there. Black as night, and they were trying to pull me down further. They wanted me to join them. Become one of them. I

refused and tried with all my strength to swim back to the surface. Back to the warmth of the sun, but that only angered them even more. The pulled stronger, and my body slowly started to descend to the ocean floor. My lungs felt like they were about to burst. I couldnt stand it anymore. I had to breathe. I let out my breath and bubbles escaped to the top of the water. I sucked in, and water flooded into my lungs. I was choking, and I couldnt get out. I felt my sight beginning to fade, and my mind begin to spin. The last thing I heard was a loud high pitched cry, and my body was dragged to the bottom of the ocean.

         I woke up, sweat spilling from my pores. My hair stuck to the sides of my face. My headache was gone, but now my whole body was shaking uncontrolaby. I tried to stand up, but fell back onto my bed, and I blacked out. This time, nobody was trying to drag me under water, there was no high pictched scream, there was only blackness.

         I felt my eyes drift open, and noticed my room wasnt as light as before. I jumped up, feeling dizzy, and made my way to the window. I looked outside, and saw that the sun was beginning to set. I didnt have much time before it was completly dark. I needed to find a lamp, just incase my plan went wrong. I grabbed the zebra print lamp that sat in the livingroom, and replaced it with my lamp. I turned it off an on, making sure it worked. It did. Now, all I had to do was wait. I pondered all the questions in my head, realizing how stupid this idea was. I sounded like a crazy person, but there was nothing else I could do. I sat and waited. It felt like hours, but the clock had told me it had only been 30 minutes. I turned the lamp on, and looked out the window. It was almost completly dark now. I just had to wait alittle longer. I tried to keep myself occupied, tried to pass the time, but everything I did just seem to make time go slower. Finally, it was dark outside. I couldnt see anything, but I knew they were out there. Waiting for me, just like I was waiting for them. I paced back and forth in my room, trying to decide if this was the right decision. I decided that it wasnt, but I was going to do it anyway. My heart was beating in my cheast so hard, I was surprised it didnt leap out of my chest.

         I  walked over to my nightstand, and put my hand on the lamp's lightswitch. I stayed like that for awhile, still contemplating my descion. I could always changed my mind. Forget that this ever happened. But I didnt. I turnded the lamp off, and darkness flooded into my room, encircling me. Nothing happened at first, and for a second I started to believe it was just my imagination, but then shadows started forming all around me.Hands were reaching out towards me, and I franticly tried swipping them away, but nothing happened. Then, I saw him. His arms were open wide, beckoning me into them. The same mischivious grin was on his face again, and he was slowly walking towards me.

         I couldnt think. I couldnt speak. I was terrified. My hand was on the light switch, and I was about to turn it, but something grabbed me, and pulled me away. I was drowning again, being pulled down to the floor. I looked up, and met the cold, black eyes of that mysterious man. He was still walking towards me, but I was being restrained. I couldnt break free. I was stuck. I tried to speak again.

         "Who are you? What do you want? Please, please tell me..I need answers..please.."

         I didnt get my answes though. I heard the wailing sound again, except this time it was inside my head. I couldnt get it to stop. I heard a laugh in the back of my mind, and jerked my head up. I saw a flash of light, and then everything went dark. I felt helds close around my neck, making it unable for me to breathe. My circulation was being cut off, and I knew it was a matter of time before I passed out and

couldn't breathe at all. Before that happened though, I heard a voice say, "

         I don't remember anything that had happened after that. I soon became aware that I wasn't in my room anymore. Instead I woke up with darkness all around me. My movements were being restricted, and I was unable to turn my head to see what was holding me back. I could only stare straight ahead and what was in front of me wasnt very appealing. Millions of foggy shadows moved around me. Some staring with sympathy, and some with anger. I could see it in their eyes. There was no light anywhere. The sun was completly hidden, either that or there was no sun at all. I wondered if I'd ever be able to wake up in my room again, with rays of light surging through my window. By the look of things, I didn't think I would be able to.

                   The sky was a greyish black blanket covering miles and miles of open area. Several rotten trees were spread all across the lifeless land. Mist was floating everywhere, imparing my vision. Suddenly, there was a parting in the middle of the crowd. Somes eyes were wide with fear, but others were wide with affection. Fresh tears rolled down my checks, stinging my eyes. A figure glided up to me, but my vision was too blurry to make out his features. I knew who it was though. A hand fell on my shoulder, and I screamed until I felt my lungs burst. I saw a flamming light on my shoulder, and realized it was his hand glowing. The pain was excruiating, and I felt myself become woozy. I could feel my fingers go numb, until I couldn't feel anything at all. I slipped from my restraints, and fell to the ground still screaming. I looked up, and held my hand in front of my face, still not able to feel it. My hand was fuzzy around the edges, and then everything came into focus. I could see clear as day, like the sun was radiating from the sky. I looked at my hand again, and saw that

it was a thick cloud of smoke. I was no longer Marissa Page. I was now a shadow.
© Copyright 2011 MackenzieCaskey (noregrets at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801305-Beyond-the-Shadows