*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801465-Wishpers-of-Love
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1801465
Are spirits real?
              Franticly jumping out of her purple twin bed, soaking wet hair sticking to the sides of her flushed cheeks, Megan glances around the room, forgetting how she ended up in here. Had what happened the night before just been a dream? Or maybe her imagination running wild again. Could it, just maybe, have been real though? Her voice, so soft and sweet, sounded so real, so close to her. Her smell, hard to describe in words, but so easy to point it out in a room full of people. The quick glimspe of her short, dark, brown hair just resting above her ears. It all seemed so real, but it couldnt have been. Megan stared at her reflection in the mirror.

         Average height, not fat but not to thin either. Her dirty blonde hair, which seems to get darker as she gets older, is sticking out in all directions. She had chunky looking cheeks that only she seemed to notice, and a nice pair of pink, plump lips. Her eyes were almost an almond shape. A greenish, yellow color, with a hint of red that you could barley see unless you concentrated really hard. People would always compliment her on her eyes. She sat back down on her bed, replaying the events of last night in her head.

         She had just gotten home. It was around eleven o'clock, and she had shut her friends 2000 silver SAAB quieltly, hoping not to wake her mom. She waved goodbye to her friend, and started up the steep driveway, when she heard a faint whisper. She stopped, looked around causually, and began walking again. Reaching the steps of her home, she felt a light breeze, and heard another whisper. This time it was more distinct. Definatly a womens voice. She glanced left and right, then slowy turned around, half expecting to see someone behind her. Instead, what she saw was a quick glimpse of a figure, dashing being the tail end of her moms black civic. Her palms got all clammy, and her hearts was beating fast in her chest

         "H-hello," she stuttered to low for anyone to hear. She gulped and again said "Hello? Is anybody there?"

         No answer. She walked down the driveway, shaking the whole way. She turned the corner of the car and jumped quickly out, punching and kicking the air. But nobody was there. Just her. She stared, dazed and confused. She saw someone dash behind this car. She would have seen them if they ran, but she saw nothing. Okay, Im going crazy, she thought. Slowy, walking back to the stairs, she heard the door nob tunring. Her mom, blurry eyed, and pale, grabbed her daughter by the arm, and yanked her inside.

         "Where the hell have you been?" her mom shouted angerly. Her brown hair was pulled back into a sloppy bun. She had sheet imprints on her cheeks, where she dozed of, waiting for her daughter to get home. "Ive waited up all night. Why didnt you answer your cell? Thats what the damn thing is for."

         "Calm down mom. My phone died, and me and Tiffinay feel asleep studying." A lie, but she knew her mom would buy it.

         "Okay, well, we will talk about this later. Im tired, so im going to bed. And next time, please call. I was worried sick."

         "Im sorry. I promise I will call next time."

         Her mom walked over, gave her a short hug, and retreated back to her room. Megan went into the only bathroom in the house, and splashed cold water on her face. The bathrooms brown walls seemed to comfort her. Weird. How could something so simple like a color do that, she wondered. She walked out of the bathroom, and made her way to the living room. She plopped down on the couch, and reached for the remote. She propped her feet up on the coffee table which made a quiet thud. She kicked her shoes off and flipped the TV on. The last thing she remembered that night, was the faint smell of perfume. The one she had given her aunt. She remembered giving it to her. She hadnt smelt it since the last time she saw her. It was Mariah Carey's perfume. The one in the pink, rectangular bottle. The one she kept begging her mom for, but gave it away so easily when her aunt had just simply asked for it. Her Aunt Kate had left her a note thanking her for the perfume. She had promised her that they would do something special soon. It never happened though. Aunt Kate had ended up taking her life before they had gotten to spend time together. She couldn't exactly understand how much pain she was in to do what she had done. Nobody did, except Aunt Kate that is. She dozed off into a state of unconsiousness. Slipping behind the keyhole of dreams. Tonight she didnt dream of rainbows and butterflies. Instead, she fought a nightmare, leaving her sweating and shaking her in sleep. She cant exaclty remember what it was about, but she keep seeing the brown haired lady she saw earlier that night. The lady who so much resembled her Aunt.

         Coming back to reality, she wabbled out of her room and down the hall. She tripped on the long brown rug, stumbling on the wall to sturdy herself.

         "Huh," she asked, turning around slowly, expecting her mom to want to talk about last night. "Mom," she yelled. No one. Someone had to be there, becasue they had tapped her on the shoulder. Shrugging, she turned and started walking down the hallway again. Suddenly, she felt someone tapping on her shoulder again. "Ugh, this isn't funny mom." Megan turned and glared straight at her Aunt Kates picture. The one that had been sitting in the hallway since she died. Aunt Kates eyes were staring her down, almost as if she was trying to say something with them.

         "What are you going on about in here?"

         She turned around and looked at her mom, confused.

         "How did you-you were just tapping my shoulder?"

         "Um, no. I was in the kitchen.

         "Oh, yeah. Hah. Okay."

         "Im leaving. Ive got to run some errands. You going out or staying here?"

         "I dont know. I think Im just going to stay here. Im feeling alittle under the weather."

         "Okay. Ill be back soon. Love you."

         "Love you too."

         She fell down on the couch, feeling exhuasted. She decided she was going to go back to sleep, when she heard her name.

         "Megaan...." Oh no, she thouhgt. It was the same voice from last night. "Megan," she whispered again.

         "Who's there?" She felt something brush up against her side. "Please," she stuttered, tears forming in her eyes. "Who are you?"

She got up off the couch, looking around. "Whats that?" She asked out loud. She walked to the kitchen where light was coming from. Calm down, she told herself. Its just the sun. When she walked into the kitchen, she was positive that it was definatly not the sun.

         "Megan," she said.

         Megan had to squint to see the figure clearly. Her aura was a birhgt white. It was glowing so brightly. Brown hair resting abover her ears, her dark, brown eyes. Megan stood there percarioulsy, not believeing  what she saw, but knowing it was true.

         "Aunt Kate," Megan gasped. Her Aunt opened her arms wide, inviting Megan into the them. She ran, falling into her Aunts arms, tears pouring from her eyes.





© Copyright 2011 MackenzieCaskey (noregrets at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801465-Wishpers-of-Love