*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801782-Them-2---Chapter-48
Rated: 13+ · Other · Sci-fi · #1801782
Giant ants conquer the earth!
Chapter Forty Eight
Near Pikeville, Kentucky


Moses eyed the door to the complex with suspicion. He still could not believe the military had conceded to his demands. But, he also knew that it was only a matter of time before they found the two brats and his small hold on them would be erased. The military still held all the cards. They had the ability to forage nationwide and bring together the scattered survivors and mold the country back into some semblance of order. Even with ninety-nine percent of the population wiped out, they had the technical knowledge and stored knowledge to get things started again, albeit on a much smaller scale. All he had was the President’s young daughter and several thousand fanatics. The best he could hope to achieve was to make it extremely unprofitable for them to act against his congregation. They were still Americans and the military was designed to protect all Americans.
“You first.” Moses pointed at Beth. “You’ve been here and know the way.”
Asshole wants to make sure no traps have been set, Beth thought. He’s using me as usual. She shrugged and boldly walked through the door.
A smooth female voice filled the room. “Welcome back to Security Base, SbOZ-13-22, Beth. I am at your disposal.”
“Who’s that?” Moses started, glancing rapidly around the large room.
“They call it DARMA,” Beth smiled, satisfied to note Moses’ uncomfortable reaction. “It’s a computer system that runs the entire complex and keeps tabs on everyone who comes and goes.”
Moses smiled. “Neat. Does DARMA have any knowledge about what’s going on outside the complex?”
“Ask it.”
“My sensors do not extend beyond the complex, however, my extensive communications traffic indicates the culmination of a major confrontation between two forces near the Greenbriar National Forest,” DARMA interrupted.
“And just what is that?” Moses blurted.
“The elements under Huckleberry Stiehl have defeated elements being led by a Sergeant Major Peterson, who has joined with the Stiehl elements. Units of the 82 Airborne are securing the area with other 82 Airborne units relocating in this direction.”
“Guess Burt got his ass kicked,” Beth grinned.
Moses continued. “Have they found the two brats yet?”
“There are no brats mentioned; as in bratwurst, an ethnic German cultural food using a variety of spice and ingredients….”
“The damn kids… the children!” Moses yelled.
“Two children have been rescued and are being transported to safety.”
Moses glared back at Beth who was watching him with a strange expression. She was either curious to see what his next move would be, or the idiot still had some personal feelings for him. Moses motioned for one of his Angels to join him. Derek had been with him from the beginning and still believed that he was a genuine prophet. Although not the sharpest tack in the box, he was loyal to a fault. He was much better at organizing than Bert, and the people certainly liked the odd kid. He would make a good replacement for Burt, who had deteriorated into a thug and a very dangerous man and he intended to rid himself of the danger he presented.
“Tell the commanders to start bringing in the five-hundred loyal followers.” Moses ordered. “See to it that the remaining commanders get their congregations settled as near the complex as possible. I want a ring of the faithful all around this complex even if they have to sleep in tents. I want all the Angles to report to me now.”
Derek bowed his head and rushed off to do Moses’ bidding. Before he even made it to the complex entrance, a shout of disturbance arose outside. Moses turned to see what was causing the uproar. Burt pushed his way inside the entrance, shoving people right and left in anger or frustration. He was covered with dust and dried blood and his eyes were wild and glaring. Moses silently signaled for Derek to alert his personal security forces.
“Damn bastards wiped out my Praetorians!” Bert bellowed, referring to the criminals and thugs who had made up his personal body guard. “You still have their president’s little twit?”
“My bargaining chip?” Moses quipped. “She’s under close guard.”
Bert suddenly realized that something had changed, that Moses was addressing him in a different manner. Moses was no longer the cowering fool who allowed him to do as he pleased; the man suddenly seemed to have grown a pair of balls. A file of men quickly entered the large chamber. Each was carrying an M-16 Automatic Rifle and they had those rifles pointing directly at Bert.
Moses walked back to the circular shaped counter to put space between him and Bert. He quickly pulled himself up onto the high counter with his feet dangling like a child doing something his parents forbid him to do.
“My congregation has advised me that you have been a very bad boy,” Moses smiled, “Taking liberties with their daughters, punishing them with unjust cause, even condoning murder. We cannot let this inappropriate behavior continue.”
“I ain’t done nuttin you haven’t done,” Bert blurted, realizing he was about to be cashiered.
“Your services are no longer needed.” Moses demeanor was suddenly very serious.
Bert scanned the men pointing their weapons at him. They were all Moses’ picked men and those he recognized, hated his guts, for good cause. “Just where in hell am I supposed to go? Those military pukes are everywhere and by now I have a price on my head, as in… dead or alive.”
“You designed your Praetorians after the infamous Roman Praetorians,” Moses replied. “You must like Roman custom, so I will stick with Roman law. Under the Roman laws of exile, you are forbidden fire and water, interdicere et ignis, within five hundred miles of this complex and should you be caught trying to return, it is the obligation of each member of the congregation to kill you.”
“You haven’t seen the last of me!” Bert yelled, turning and pushing his way from the chamber. He knew there was still men out there somewhere who would follow him. He was a survivor and he’d be damned if some pansy assed con-man would get the best of him.
Moses glanced over at Beth and grinned. That was easier than he thought. Once he got his people into the complex they would be safe. It would take a very determined army to fight their way through those massive doors and he knew the military was not up to killing hundreds of innocent American civilians even if their religious views were weird.
He had no option but to live up to his agreement and return the President’s daughter. Her being held hostage inside the complex might give them the incentive they needed to attempt to rescue her. He couldn’t have that. He’d return her in exchange for peace. After a few years, perhaps the new government would see things his way. Time was what he needed, and her return just might buy that time.
“How do I contact this government?” he asked Beth.
Beth started to say something but DARMA cut in.
“I am in contact with the government authorities on a constant basis. I will relay any message you need.”
Moses smiled. “Get me their President on the line.”
“If you mean make contact with them and request an audience with their leader, I will do that.”
“Do it!”
Moses watched as his most faithful congregants filed into the room. Derek was standing at the entrance with a clipboard writing down the name of each person as they entered. The room was starting to fill with people.
“Do something constructive,” Moses addressed Beth. “Get these people assigned to rooms or something, it’s getting packed in here.”
Beth smiled and walked over to where Derek was jotting down names. She pulled the first full pages from the clipboard, noting that Derek had a very nice and legible handwriting. “DARMA, I need your help on assigning rooms to these people,” Beth said out loud.
“Give me the names and I will billet them and direct them to the rooms,” DARMA replied.
Within minutes the chamber started to empty as DARMA called out names and asked them to follow her directions.
“The President is waiting to communicate with you,” DARMA shortly addressed Moses. “You may talk in private by going to the console behind the reception desk.”
Moses jumped down from the counter and went to the other side of the desk. He searched until he spotted a blinking green light and hit the switch next to it. “This is Father Moses,” he stated. “I would like to make arrangements to return your daughter in accordance with our agreement.”
The President was surprised by the call and even more surprised that Moses intended to follow up on their agreement. He had been certain that the fruit cake would keep Cathay as a future bargaining chip. Within minutes, arrangements were made to have Cathay escorted to a clear location where she could be picked up by helicopter.
“That was easy,” Moses remarked, as Beth joined him at the console. “They agreed not to mess with us but also said that the people outside the complex were fair game. If they can persuade them to become good citizens they will be absorbed back into American society.”
“Perhaps it’s for the best,” Beth stated.
“I don’t give a flying fart about those people out there. They were simply a buffer in the event the military decided to attack this complex. I have all the people I need inside this secure complex and in a few years we can expand back into the countryside. As for you, you can stay or leave, I could care less either way. Just keep out of my sight.”
Beth was hurt by his remark. Didn’t Moses realize she had returned to be with him? For some unfathomable reason, she was in love with the monster. She didn’t want to be, but, she could not help herself. She knew he was a con-artist, full of conceit, self-centered, a phony and he would probably never change, but she couldn’t help the fact that she loved him.
She noticed that the room was suddenly empty of people. Derek was standing by the open entrance scratching his head. She walked over just in time to hear Moses utter an angry curse.
“Two hundred eleven people! That’s all?
Derek looked perplexed as Moses ripped the clipboard from his hand.
“There’s supposed to be five hundred people on this list. Where are they?” Moses shouted. “There must be over five of six thousand out there!”
Derek shrugged and glanced back out the entrance to the near empty tunnel. No one was there except several of Moses’ guards posted to make certain that Bert did not return.
“Send one of the guards out to check on them and advise them they have one hour before the entrance will be shut and sealed. If they are not in the complex by then, they will lose their only chance to live in safety.”
Moses was unaware that there would be no more volunteers to enter the complex. The two hundred eleven were the most fanatical of his followers. The remainder had been persuaded by the soldiers from the 82nd Airborne to take their chances at rebuilding their country now that the danger from the ants was over. They realized that being sealed inside a complex, no matter how much safety and comfort it may offer, was not the kind of freedom they wanted.
Beth knew that too. She smiled as Moses threw his hands up and asked DARMA to show him to his private quarters.










© Copyright 2011 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801782-Them-2---Chapter-48