*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801815-A-Heart-Wrenching-Decision
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1801815
A flash ficiton story about a husband's impossible decision.
Timothy Richardson grasped his wife’s hand as the paramedics wheeled her from the ambulance into the emergency room.

“Honey, you’re going to be fine.  The doctor will fix you right up,” said, Timothy.

Jeannette turned her head towards him and smiled because she knew when he was lying, but loved his optimism under any circumstance.

“It’s okay.  You’ve given me the two most precious gifts I could have ever wanted --a loving husband, and a beautiful son-- both of whom I love with all my heart.  You take care of our boy and be strong for him.”

Tears started running down both their faces just as their son was being wheeled in.  The paramedics then took Jeannette off to surgery, while Timothy ran to his son.

“Blake--!  “

“I am sorry sir.  We have to move him into surgery, now,” said the paramedic.

Hours passed as Timothy sat in the waiting room, not knowing what the fate of his family was.  As he sat there, he cursed that drunken driver for causing all of this.

Just then, a doctor walked out of the surgery room and towards Timothy.

“Mr. Richardson, your wife has internal bleeding and we are trying our best to stop it, but there is a very strong possibility she won’t make it.  Your son’s two kidneys are badly damaged and they are failing.  If we don’t find him a match soon, he’ll die.  Your wife, however, is a perfect match, but she only has one.  I need to know…what do you want us to do?”

“I…I…don’t…know.  Can you—

“Dad!” shouted Blake, as he tugged on Timothy’s arm.  “Give mom her flowers.”

At this, Timothy woke out of his trance, wiped the tears from his eyes and laid the flowers down in front of Jeannette’s tombstone. 
© Copyright 2011 Hopeful Writer (comicman1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801815-A-Heart-Wrenching-Decision